Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 37 olds coupe...foot pedal start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrossbach, Jan 28, 2018.

1. mrossbach

mrossbach

Hello again....need some help here...when I push the foot pedal to engage the starter....it does not engage the starter. My question is, is the foot pedal adjustable? the pedal bottoms out with out engaging the starter. Can some one send me a picture of the foot pedal on the starter side...so I can see I am missing some thing.
    thanks in advance....mike in michigan

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You have the car, so why not show us a picture of what you have - then we can help you.
    Always buy a factory shop manual - cheap reprint works fine - when you get the car.

3. mrossbach

mrossbach

4. mrossbach

mrossbach

5. mrossbach

mrossbach

my 1946 Studebaker.....has 354 hemi

6. mrossbach

mrossbach

hello just bought a manual...thanks....mike

7. Push it as far as it will go with a broomstick and see if that works. :rolleyes:
    Without seeing the part in question, I'm guessing the part is a switch. Use a volt meter to check power to the switch. Then have a buddy press the switch while you check for power out of the switch, etc. It should be a process of elimination if it's the switch or something downstream. (You may have to take the part off to clean up the contacts and test it on the workbench.) Forgive me if you know all this already. Just trying to help any and all.

8. mrossbach

mrossbach

Not the problem.....when I push the pedal from inside the car...the push rod bottoms out.....the lever on the starter needs to travel another 1 1/2 inches to engage the starter....I taped a socket in place and it works...something is missing....should not need the socket there...

9. mrossbach

mrossbach

oldsfootpedalsocket.jpg oldsfootpedalsocket.jpg olds footpedal4.jpg oldsfootpedalsocket.jpg oldsfootpedal.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Wow! All these months and still no joy. :(
    The photos help to explain the issue. (I see you're using the ol' socket spacer to get some lash out of the system.)
    You may have to move that lower "switch" pumpkin up a lot and/or redrill that arm (with the chipped black paint) for a revised pivot on a new fabricated bracket to get the range and ratio of motion you need.
    Have you thought about chuckin' that whole deal and putting a key switch in the dash? Good luck, my friend. ;)

11. mrossbach

mrossbach

Would need a different starter to go with the key start

12. Is the solenoid correct?

Ben

302GMC likes this.
  13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^^^^^
    Looks right from here …..
    All kidding aside, pull the switch off & hit the contact under there with 6 volts ... anything ?

14. BJR

BJR

Looks like the black arm is not correct. Maybe off of another car. Why not weld a spacer like a socket onto the arm and call it good?

15. mrossbach

mrossbach

It is all original parts....

16. mrossbach

mrossbach

all original parts....

17. oldolds

oldolds

I have never worked on one of those. Looking at the pics. I think the switch on the starter has been replaced. It is a replacement switch that fits and is not exactly correct. The correct switch would be longer and get everything in the right place. Just what it looks like to me. Make your rod longer and few will know it isn't exactly correct.

firstinsteele likes this.
  18. BJR

BJR

If it were all original parts it would work and you wouldn't be posting here.

firstinsteele likes this.