Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Ford Rear end

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by albjerryg, Jan 29, 2018.

1. albjerryg

albjerryg

I have a 1941 Ford coupe with a 350 Chevy engine and the original 3 speed transmission and the original rear end with torque tube. I wanted to remove the rear end and torque tube and replace it with a rear end with the same dimensions and a regular drive shaft? Is there any great problems other than removal of the torque tube and rear end? Thanks for any input you might have. Jerry

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      72.8 KB
      Views:
    • 7 - Copy.jpg
      7 - Copy.jpg
      File size:
      49.7 KB
      Views:
    • 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      65.5 KB
      Views:
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Standard procedure for the last 50 years or so has been to install a 9' with parallel leaf springs. That will give you the hotrod bounce while driving. The Ford transmission is very weak. This is the right time to use a better one

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. albjerryg

albjerryg

Thanks for the advice , I agree the transmission is weak but this is the first step to get to a 350 transmission. I guess you meant a 9" rear end. Jerry

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  4. Like that clip from Spinal Tap. " and ' are pretty different

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Lots of folks use the Ford C-4 auto trans as it's so small and fits better than a 350 Chevy.
    An 8 inch rear looks better than a 9 inch as is lighter. Avoid Lincoln Versailles.
    Here's some very good info. that came from Googling: "What 8 inch rear fits a 40 Ford?"
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=792539

6. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or you could keep the rear end and put in an open drive conversion. open drive.jpg.png

7. Speedway or Pete & Jakes have the springs. I would not convert existing trans and rear to open drive.
    I'm guessing the biggest problem will be clearance for the turbo 350 at the X member and maybe the firewall. Also if you use a 9" You will want a truck with 5 1/2" bolt pattern.
    Good luck on your journey. Let us know it works out.

8. albjerryg

albjerryg

Thanks that sounds good. Jerry

9. albjerryg

albjerryg

The open drive conversion sounds interesting, is that a kit and from where if it is a kit? Thanks for the input. Jerry

10. topher5150

topher5150

what's wrong with the vers.....urrr Lincoln rear end?

11. The Lincoln Versailles was an over-dressed Granada. Friend of mine in Anniston AL has a Versailles rear under his '28 Model A sedan and is happy with it. The Versailles rears had disc brakes standard. There weren't that many of those cars to start with, and not a lot of them turn up in the wrecking yards. They were geared high because they rolled on little 14" wheels and tires. The biggest drawbacks are that they are hard to find and pricey when you do find one.

12. albjerryg

albjerryg

I will need a spindle with 5 by 5 1/2" pattern. I don't want to change my wheels out. Someone suggested a Ford c4 transmission it was more compact? Thanks for the help Jerry

13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

If you want to keep the 5.5" bolt pattern, look for a 66-77 Bronco rear axle. The width will work fine on your car. Chassis Engineering (CE) has the rear spring kit, along with the transmission mount and you'll probably have to split the front wishbone to do the conversion. CE was recently bought by Heidts, their site may not show everything yet.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  14. topher5150

topher5150

Am I safe to assume that the F150 would be the same as the bronco?

15. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

No. They are referring to the early small Broncos, not the full size later ones.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. albjerryg

albjerryg

Rarebike referred to a conversion to an open drive conversion. I like that idea does anyone know where the conversion kit can be purchased? Thanks for all the help.. Jerry

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

18. albjerryg

albjerryg

Yes I just found it at Speedway motors it is part # 9191105. Thanks

19. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

If you keep the 41 trans, you will have to change out the tail shaft and rear housing. Use same from a late 40s /early 50s pick up with an open drive shaft. Have you considered a T 5 trans(S10 pick up), it will bolt up to the 350 and is much more compact than any auto trans?

20. albjerryg

albjerryg

I have not looked at the T5 trans but I will . Thanks Jerry

21. albjerryg

albjerryg

I may do this in stages that is do the open drive shaft conversion first and keep the existing transmission while looking for a replacement. jerry

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

the 41 rear axle is too weak for a SBC. I have twisted off axle shafts and that was with the flathead and not even straining

zzford likes this.
  23. 9" Ford is your most common rear end swap. Later '50s Fords are 58" and should be a good fit most of them actually had an 8/75 ring but a 9" chuck will go right in if you finesse the flange on the housing a little bit. If you got a line on a good 9" that is the way to go. Or if not you can convert the original to open drive. The rear will actually take quit a bit of abuse, the weak link is the hubs. I normally prefer a 9" rear.

Parallel leafs is a common swap too. If you don't want to spend the cash you can retain the cross leaf . I like them both ways personally. Each setup has its charms. LOL

24. alchemy

alchemy

Not possible. You cannot just attach a open driveshaft yoke to the original transmission. You could replace the original closed-drive trans with a 48-52 F-1 pickup open drive trans, which would be a bolt in conversion. But finding a good one will be expensive unless you are really lucky.

Best is to just get all the conversion planned out ahead of time, get all the parts needed, then have the car apart once.

Atwater Mike and porknbeaner like this.
  25. Wider. The early Bronco was a little car.

26. Most sbc streetrods look great with a Jaguar rear end. Even has disc brakes.:confused:

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Please enlighten me how one would bolt a Ford C4 trans to a 350 Chevy.

28. Adapter. LOL :D :D :D

29. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

..and Mike wins for actually reading the OP’s question!

30. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

You can always get bolt pattern adapters. But they add 1" to 1-1/2" per side, depending on the adpater you get.