Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage WyoTech closing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod428, Jan 26, 2018.

1. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I was there in the early 80's. I only did the auto tech course, it was a 6 months course. I don't recall what it cost at the time but I don't think it was too bad. I guess the prices must have really climbed throughout the 90's.
    When I got hired on at the dealership I was a trainee (pay by the hour) working along side a regular mechanic. After about 6 months they put me on my own, still pay by the hour. After a month or 2 of that I demanded to be albe to flag my time like everyone else.
    I worked there for 10 years as a tune-up/driveability tech. I managed to get fired at least once a year when the service manager and myself would get into heated arguments. Back then they would cut you a check on the spot. They never cut the check so I'd keep working and show up again the next day...LOL. It was a good job

Bobby

2. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

There are problems in every business. My daughter is in food service and gets culinary school grads who can't sharpen a knife. A friend has a small neighborhood grocery store and has been trying to get someone young to get interested in cutting meat . No luck. Both parents are working today ,no one at home teaching basic skills ,most 16 year olds can't tie their shoes.

Frankie47 and williebill like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eventho I didn't stay in the trade back in the 60's we had JC's, that's Junior College, and went 4 semesters 4 hours a day 5 days a week for little cost. Afternoons were for other classes to get an AA. Even took basic oxy/acet welding.
    My son did the same thing; neither of us stayed in the trade, both ended up lineman then I went to maintenance electrician. I'm sure it helped both with our land speed racing and 1/2 mile circle track.
    It too bad we need these schools. Hell, HS had all the shops back then too.

Atwater Mike and olscrounger like this.
  4. sunbeam

sunbeam

My grandson rebuilt a 390 for his pickup in class at junior college and it didn't make it to the first oil change. They had him use silicone sealer on all the gaskets including the oil filter mount gasket. Silicone sluffed off and blocked oil to a main bearing. Makes you wonder about the teachers

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ Agree with jimmy six. Get into a good trade and stick with it. I was a lineman as well and retired as Line Supt. then went to the outside and did contract line work for 5 years-44 years total. Steered my son, two son-in-laws-two nephews and a grandson into the trade as well. They are all doing well with great benefits, etc and make over $150 per year with O.T. Keep the car interest as a hobby.

Dog_Patch and scotty t like this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I would also like to add that my comments were in no way intended to downplay or degrade any of the instructors, and certainly do not mean to do so to those in the public sector. All of the ones I have met on here seem to be quite interested in educating. The quickchange gentlemam from Michigan

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Sorry, got cut off. The quickchange fellow is even still concerned with proper grammar, please forgive mine.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the problem with students coming out of some of those schools as far as automotive goes is that they didn't have any automotive or mechanical experience to build on before they went to the school and it was something that sounded good at the time and didn't require a grade point average to get into. Feedback from former students who went on to mechanics schools be it Wyo Tech or one of the Arizona schools told that as they got tired of the instructors having to teach down to the level of those who didn't know anything to begin with. Without some knowledge and skills to build on it is hard for the majority to build any viable skills.
    Still there are plenty of top rate local/regional automotive schools or classes at local colleges. We have several in this state that are well respected for turning out techs who are on top of things.

9. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I met the dad of one of our employees...The first thing he asked me was " are you finishing raising my son?". I told him flat out that was HIS job. Another kid told me " you treat me just like my dad does". I told him "quit acting like a kid".The current "kid" I looked in the eye and told him that I had seen his sort before.He said :" you haven't seen anyone like me before". Well ,yes I have. When I was coming up when you were told to do something you did it. When the older ,more experienced hands offered you an hint or advice you KNEW you had better change your course of action.There is a sense among the kids I have worked with that they are on par with someone that has worked in the field for 20,30,40 years more than they have.

Texaswino and olscrounger like this.
  10. I tell my students it's an instant fail for the use of blue silicone.

11. NWRacing

NWRacing

I had a Wyotech grad when I was service manager for the Mack truck dealer. If you could have bought him for what he was worth and sold him for what he thought he was worth you could retire. He was 40K in debt and no better than the guys that I was getting from the local Vo-Tech.
    Lack of trained techs is a serious problem industry wide and unfortunately one that none of the manufacturers want to address. They are advancing technology by leaps and bounds but still expect to have the stuff fixed by high school drop outs with a little OJT.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Mechanical ability also seems to be in ones DNA. No matter how much desire a person has to be a mechanic, not everyone has the ability to become one. Some can be taught to replace parts if someone figures out what parts need to be replaced. I've experienced the same thing with electrical and hydraulic work.

Many of these schools depend on veterans attending with government financing as well as non-military students being able to get government backed financial assistance. The US department of education has been checking out schools and has determined that many students from certain schools default on loans and are dropping schools from their programs. A local school, Globe University, shut down in 2016. Seems they had very low standards for students who ran up large debts that they couldn't pay because they couldn't hold a job in the field they "graduated" in.

There are many schools just in it for the money and they accept almost anyone and charge a lot in tuition and housing. The local tech school requires certain standards to continue in classes. They are having difficulty finding students who meet their criteria, like showing up for classes.

Gavin Tittle and TinShed like this.
  13. Terrible80

Terrible80

I think kids are growing up different. My dad was a farm boy who grew up in the depression. He taught us mechanics, carpentry, welding, how to grow a garden, etc. We we're expected to wash clothes, cook, do dishes, etc. As a result I'm not afraid to learn anything, started laying tile a year ago when I felt the tile guy wanted too much for the job. My son can do mechanical work, decided he'd rather not! Studying to be a surgical tech.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike and olscrounger like this.
  14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Where I worked, they were trying to hire mechanics in 2016 and the "starting" wage they offered was less than what I started at in 1980. Auto dealerships charging $100/hour for labor hire mechanics for $12/hour flat rate. Diesel /heavy equipment mechanic jobs start at around $20/hour. These jobs also require a degree and a large outlay for tools. The person who operates a forklift gets paid more than the person who works on it and doesn't need any education or tools. When I retired, the guy I worked with asked for a raise and didn't get it. He quit and took a job operating a forklift with an air conditioned cab for $7/hour more. He said he went to a job fair looking for a mechanic job and saw the pay being offered was higher for the forklift operator. He already had a forklift license and they hired him on the spot. Says he stays clean, warm in the winter and cool in the summer. A very good mechanic out of the trade.

15. You nailed it. They spent a lot of time blowing smoke up everyone's arse. The truth is you spent your cash an still had to do the same as serving an apprenticeship when you get out. Perhaps you had a leg up on the competition but o not enough to make it worth the effort.

16. Richard Head

Richard Head

In high school, we had a rep from one of the big tech schools out of Arizona or Nevada speak in our drafting class. He told us that college was too difficult and we didn't want to waste our futures studying about the past. The school had a pretty impressive sales pitch, for the time.
    The next day, my drafting teacher took the time to explain the pitfalls of those big tech schools. He also explained that traditional college is only as difficult as you make it. In addition, he explained there were other methods to receive that same job training for much less money or even free, depending on the program. I actually hated drafting, but that teacher offered a lot of advice that I still consider today.
    Dave

Dog_Patch likes this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I also took drafting in high school, started with mechanical drawing. I also had auto shop and machine shop!
    My counselor was 'curious' why all the shop classes, plus the drafting???
    His intelligence as a counselor, after looking in on my classes, excused me from P.E. for 3 years.
    Thanks again, Mr. Kulkowski!
    Some later confusion led me to major in English at San Jose State...but 'practical interest' dropped me into an excellent Porsche service and race prep shop.
    Funny how the road of life takes turns, and 'detours'...mine culminating in an industrial cul-de-sac...

wicarnut likes this.
  18. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

who's supporting those car shows on spike network now?

patmanta likes this.
  19. I took drafting @ tri county tech after I moved to Missouri. Loved the classes and it got me out of half a day of high school. To this day I do not know the wisdom of having a tech school that majored in drafting in the area there were no drafting jobs to be had within 150 miles of the place.

20. NWRacing

NWRacing

I was starting out anyone with experience at $20/hr plus a production bonus for guys that could turn out work. For 40K a year I was getting guys that would send a truck out the door that wouldn't make it back to the customers yard and would then try to convince me (and the customer) that it was a different problem now. The lack of tech training is a serious issue but the lack of work ethic and pride of workmanship is also killing the industry.

wicarnut and Atwater Mike like this.
  21. this is a topic that varies where you live
    Some states are closing technical schools while others are building them.
    Then it breaks down into how each school district views technical ed.
    Luckily, I live in a state that is building tech schools and a school district that values technical ed.
    Next is the student. Some of my students wrench and build while not in school like most of us did growing up, many students do not.
    Broken homes, both parents working, grandparents raising grandkids...........plus the emphasis on 4 year degrees and school counselors, teachers, admin all looking down at trade skills.
    So what is the answer?
    I have no clue. All I can do is try to help the 45 that I teach.
    What can you as a concerned citizen do?
    Look into your local trade schools and find out how they are doing would be a start.
    next, contact your local school board and local government folks(state senators/reps) and tell them what you think.
    If no one tells these people that technical/trade skills are important, they will continue to ignore it.

22. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

This disrespect for the trades/mechanical side of the world is something that has caused a considerable amount of damage. I am a 17 year old high school senior, in California, I'm two classes into a welding degree, and in the middle of an internship at an engine machine shop. in my personal time, I have an OT road course car I maintain, another OT car I run on the quarter mile, and have done extensive work on(engine and suspension removal and overhaul, major body work), as well as a SBC I'm building for my senior project. as far as the question "why arent kids going into the trades" is concerned, there are many answer. not only the modern mentality that everyone should be a lawyer, doctor, etc. that is pushed in students faces. you also have the other students to deal with. many of whom have no respect or knowledge about how the world works, or how to work in it. in my opinion most modern people my age are self centered, imbecilic, inefficient people with to much credit for not enough work, who have grown up in a culture that puts value on effort, with out focusing on how much gets done, which leads to the thought process of "I did well because I tried" which is not how the real world tends to work. sorry for the bit of a rant, but i deal with these people everyday, all day.

23. I have several students like you. Love to work, create, succeed They have little tolerance for whining and complacency. Do not ever stop pushing yourself towards whatever goal you have set and never be satisfied with anything less than your best. Good luck and God bless

24. When I was coming up I’m school I knew at a young age it was mechanics and technical stuff that I wanted to do
    ( started like most with my hot rod bicycle and go-karts)
    Anyways never cared for school as it wasn’t what I wanted.

I remember grade 8 parent teacher interviews and the teacher was going on how I don’t apply myself and if I did I could be an accountant or manager ( at the time I’m thinking lame middle of the road job)

My father looks at him and tells him “ an where we gonna be if everyone goes to school for business and accounting?”

I’ve said this before no one wants to do the trades anymore, my buddy is a framer building homes , he’s resorted to hiring full on crack heads as he can’t find real workers anymore to be a labourer! Ask him why he told me I pay them at the end of the day in cash , they go home get high and show up the next day to do it again

Just nucking futz!!

Gavin Tittle likes this.
  25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Unions need to step in and up the apprenticeship programs.

Gavin Tittle likes this.
  26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Wow Gavin!
    What a great articulation of the situation from a teen age perspective. You sound much older and I'm glad that you have taken time to fill us old fellers in. I threatened to start a thread because this one was getting so far off track from the Wyotech thing that started it all.

Anthony,
    Glad to see you have a good group to work with. We need to carry it on further. As soon as I establish the new one I'll post it here.

All of you that have contributed are invited and tell your friends.

anthony myrick and Gavin Tittle like this.
  27. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

28. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Agreed, back to wyo-tech with this thread.

29. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Gavin Tittle likes this.
  30. Dan

Dan

I also teach auto shop.
    Have had WyoTech and UTI come recruit for as long as I have been here (10 years at this school).
    Have had a number of students attend both schools with limited success. We have a very knowledgeable auto instructor at out Junior College right here in town. Kids seem to think they need to move away to "be successful", which is okay to an extent. They don't realize how good they have it here until they move away and experience life a little bit. UTI sent me to their AZ campus about 10 years ago, very impressive facility - haven't heard from there recruiter in a year or two. The WyoTech recruiter was here a couple months ago and then 2 weeks later I hear the news they are closing - I felt sorry for him. We also have a kid attending Laramie right now and the kids are wondering what he is going to do.
    I was going to post some info. on the other post that apparently got closed. If anyone would like to visit about the trades and internships please PM me.