Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods And The Winner Is?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Jan 28, 2018.

1. milo1303s

milo1303s

Just shows you add a little Foose orange stripe and you got a winner

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Other than the windshield looking like an afterthought, I think it's a damn fine car. And it's a bonafied race car, too! It would have been great to see the Dye roadster win but I'm sure the judges chose the right car. Congrats to everyone involved.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Never been around it but if this is a "freshened up" version of one that I lusted over in SR magazine years ago, it's deserving.
    I didn't look that close at the first show coverage photos but it now appears to be a model A on a deuce chassis and I recall the name Martin from the magazine article, if I remember correctly the owners name is David and recall it being a 31.
    I about wore out that SR back when I was planning my roadster project, those photos of the chassis minus the body were very impressive way back.

OK, Mr. Google says the owner is David Martin, an architect in L.A. and I recall reading this in the original article, he apparently has quite a portfolio of work.
    I have the magazine in storage but I can still see those photos in my mind and one shows it going down ? PCH so this car was not a trailer queen.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  4. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Heading home to NC soon. Fun week-end with my daughter & grand daughter. Even made a side trip to Newpoort Beach so they could see that "other" ocean. Looked at all the AMBR contenders & most everything else. What I didn't see was the names of any of the critics on any signs or cars. Tough job for judges! All are winners!!

clem, Hamtown Al and Special Ed like this.
  5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

AMBR 2018.JPG
    I would not have wanted to be a judge in this competition. The cars were all worthy of winning the award. Congrats to the winning owner and craftsmen that won the award this year.

clem and HotrodVon like this.

6. 2018 AMBR Contender.jpg
    Congrats to Dave Martin and builder Scott Bonowski (& his team at Hot Rods & Hobbies in Signal Hill, CA) !!!​

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    teach'm, The 39 guy and HotrodVon like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with The 39 Guy, this year had to be hard to judge as all of the cars were worthy. Some seem to photograph better under the conditions in the bulding without special lighting and that may be one reason we favore them better than others.

The 39 guy likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I didn't find any build photos on Scotts site, just one thumbnail.

9. To all the fans of the Eddie Dye Roadster (me included) ... All is not lost ...

The Dye roadster's historical significance was well respected as @Deuce Bruce Meyer awarded it his prestigious “Hot Rod Preservation Award”.

It was also awarded “Outstanding Paint” (i.e., best paint among the AMBR contenders).

Congrats to Tom Bobowski (owner) ... Jimmy "@hemi coupe" White and his team at Circle City Hot Rods (restoration) ... Brandon Flaner & Aaron Groesbeck and their team at East Bay Speed & Custom (body & paint) ... Chris Plante at Plante Interiors (upholstery) ... Logan "@LQD" Davis at Vintage Performance Automotive (engine) ... @JeffreyJames (show display design) ... and all others involved with the restoration!!!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  10. From our friends at fuel curve logo.jpg :

[​IMG]
    January 29, 2018
    by @John D

AMERICA’S MOST BEAUTIFUL ROADSTER WINNER
    – DAVID MARTIN’S 1931 MODEL A

America’s Most Beautiful Roadster is hot rodding’s longest tenured major award. First presented in 1950 to Bill Niekamp’s blue track-nosed ’29 Ford Roadster, this trophy and tradition date back 68 years. The winner gets the “9-footer” – a brass loving cup which has stood the test of time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The AMBR winner gets his name added to the base of the trophy. Legends rest on that base. Add Santa Monica’s David Martin to the hot rod history books. Martin’s Cleveland Blue 1931 Ford Model A Roadster by Hot Rods and Hobbies took home all the marbles yesterday at the conclusion of the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona, California.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martin’s roadster eclipsed the largest field in recent memory (15 cars total) and it beat out some major players including Dana Elrod’s 1936 Ford, Bruce Meyer’s “Nickel Roadster” and the historic Eddie Dye Roadster painstakingly restored to 1952 show trim by Circle City Hot Rods. The other 11 cars were more than worthy as well.

[​IMG]

A polished blend of So-Cal hot rod flare mixed with European sports car panache, Martin’s roadster is the best of both worlds. A two year build by Scott Bonowski and his team at Hot Rods and Hobbies, the body has been meticulously tweaked including a healthy dose of aluminum panels including the slightly sloped hood, hood sides, lakes-style tonneau cover and a full belly pan. The car has over 270 louvers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cockpit is somewhere between a Jaguar and a Ferrari with racing bucket seats and a serious set of belts to keep Mark and his passengers snug on spirited drives. An exquisite blend of leather and other textures, it was stitched by Mark Lopez of Elegance Auto Interior (who also did the interior on last year’s winner – Bruce Wanta’s Mulholland Speedster). Redline Gaugeworks provided the sporty instruments.

[​IMG]

When this car hits the road later this spring (and it will indeed be driven), the plan is for Frank to drive it to New York. From there, it will be shipped to Italy, then on to Switzerland for a hill climb before being returned stateside for a shot at Goodguys 2018 Hot Rod of the Year – a driving competition held Mother's Day weekend in Nashville, Tennessee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speed is the name of the game with this roadster. An all-aluminum stack-injected 540hp Brodix small block Chevy by Ed Pink Racing Engines thunders through twisty side pipes which are routed through the frame before exiting the rear of the roadster. No mufflers here!

[​IMG]

The chassis is a work of art with plated and polished hot rod essentials including a drilled and dropped axle. The wheels are exclusive to this car resembling something off a 50s era Indy Car. Cut by EVOD, they were shot peened for added texture. Yellow MR (Martin Racing) logos occupy the center of the knock offs matching the mustard yellow beltline stripe.

[​IMG]

It’s the first AMBR win for both Martin and builder Scott Bonowski. For Martin, the win is extra special as he’s a member of the prestigious L.A. Roadsters car club who have held the Father’s Day run here in Pomona for over five decades.

[​IMG]

Next up for the racy roadster is a stop at the Sacramento AutoRama February 16-18 at Cal Expo. A visit to the Goodguys Del Mar Nationals April 6-8 will follow before its cross country boogie to New York. Congratulations from all of us at Fuel Curve on the big win David!​

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Jim Bouchard, The 39 guy and K13 like this.
  11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Interesting. No comments on the wheels? They're very similar to the wheels on the Foose car, which was a topic of great length on the HAMB. In fact, it appears a few cars had the same style wheels and again, no comments. Very odd.

12. holy crap,...were these cars built in Heaven?...that's the only place I've heard of where perfection exists...the builders of these cars are amazing...
    ...how many $ are in that winning car?...or the total worth of all the cars in that show?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  13. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

From above ^^ "The wheels are exclusive to this car resembling something off a 50s era Indy Car. Cut by EVOD, they were shot peened for added texture. Yellow MR (Martin Racing) logos occupy the center of the knock offs matching the mustard yellow beltline stripe."

HEMI32 likes this.
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for that. But why no comments on them from the HAMB members? Personally, I like them. A bit out of place on a street car, but a nice design.

15. primed34

primed34

Wasn't my choice but I'm ok with the winner. It is indeed a hot rod. And you got to admit that it looks way way better than that thing that won last year.

bchctybob likes this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

I first met Scott Bonowski of Hot Rods and Hobbies when he had a mobile auto detailing business and a small body shop around the corner from my header and chassis shop. That was in the mid '90s and I was immediately impressed by his work ethic and attention to detail. He started doing paint jobs applying those traits and putting out amazingly perfect paint and bodywork. He also has a good business sense that has helped him grow his business and make a living doing what he loves.
    Years later I visited his shop in Signal Hill and was amazed at how he had gathered some true craftsmen to build high end customs and hot rods from the ground up with that same work ethic and talent.
    Now the AMBR! Congratulations to Scott and his crew, he's worked hard for this. That video was cool, it gave me an even deeper appreciation for this car.

HEMI32 likes this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Fred
    I think some here have gotten a bit gunshy to comment because on either side of the coin there will he people jumping all over you because your view differs from theirs.
    They are reminiscent of the old Halibrands, how could that ever be a bad thing, regardless of what they are mounted on, I too think they are neat.

lurker mick likes this.
  18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Mr Martin is not a 'johnny-come-lately' 'bucket list' guy with money. He, and his family, have been into cars for many a years, but they are low key. This car in bare metal ran the Silver State Classic and I think won it's class, and it was not trailered from Vegas, it was driven there ( the course is North of Vegas on the road to Lund-Bonneville). So it kept its theme of 'race-inspired-driven', and it headed to 'The Continent' for the Mile Miglia. I'd go along for that ride

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I love the exhaust system. Very nice.

bct likes this.
  21. I'm just glad that Foose looking car didn't win.