Register now to get rid of these ads!

65 Plymouth Valiant won't idle

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 65Valiant, Jun 19, 2017.

1. 65Valiant

65Valiant

Hey guys, so I just got a 1965 valiant, slant six, and it won't idle. If I hold the throttle down a bit it stays on, but it dies at every stop sign. Put a carb Kit on it and it still won't idle, unplugged the fuel line from the filter and tried to turn it over to see if it was a fuel problem, but its got steady fuel flow. I've tried adjusting the idle screw and still nothing. Any suggestions?

2. Krankie

Krankie

Have you checked the points gap don't like to idle without enough point gap.
    Idle mixture screw should be roughly 1 1/2 turns out.

3. chettar

chettar

Have you tried running a couple of cans of Sea Foam through the gas. I swear by the product and use it in all my cars both classics and personal and it keeps the fuel system clean which is important with this crappy gas we get today. I also have gone to Ethnol Free gas which has also helped. I have a 1950 Mercury that got to where it would only slightly idle and was ready to rebuild the 3 deuce 97's but decided to try Sea Foam first. First day saw a little improvement in the running and each day it got better until on the third day it ran like it always had. Driving it with no problems. Try it before you decide to rebuild the carburetor.