Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Moon gas tank at swapmeet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by partsdawg, Jan 28, 2018.

1. flynstone

flynstone

reminds me of my 34, the question I always get, is it glass? the thing is, you don't have to say if it bothers you

2. Toner283

Toner283

I have to agree with this thought. I would think that since it was never intended to be used as a pressure vessel, a person would be very unwise to use it as such. I would be afraid that if you fill it with enough air even to inflate one tire, that it could potentially explode at any time.

And yes, I understand that is not the OP's intent for it. Good idea to return it to its original purpose and will make a good story about where he got the fuel tank on his car.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

I fully agree with Toner 283. If the tank were mine, I would remove those two handles and return the tank to it's original purpose and configuration. I have fixed Moon tanks that were cut up to install horns or other crazy ideas that people had. Your tank is in far better condition than the ones I have worked on.

4. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

He never said he WAS going to use it as an air tank, he said someone else tried to use it as one. Even if he wanted to, it wouldn’t be to far fetched. I’ve seen, built, and repaired many of aluminum air tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I think I have figured it out.
    There are 2 types of people.
    I posted it because my intent was about the TANK.
    It wasn't about me,I'll so far away from Coolsville I could be the mayor of Dullsville.
    I knew a lot of folks would be interested in the tank and didn't even think about the cost question.
    Had I been concerned about the cost and my re-selling of it I wouldn't have posted the pics.
    Just put it up for sale and that's the end of it. But I wanted to share a neat part of hot rod history.
    Most of the pics I post are about cars I have seen or really interesting parts I have found.
    It's about the item....not about me.
    The other side of the coin is the type who posts look at what I got for $$$$ and that's ok.
    Just not the way I look at it.
    I've gotten bargains and I've overpaid but I have gotten what I wanted at what I wanted to pay.
    The hot rod hobby...for me...is about the cars and good times and good people had with them.
    Show me a good barn find thread and...for me...it's about the barn/ditch/ravine/back 40 find and the story that goes with it from finding to recovery.It's about the car. I could care less what it cost.
    The tank is a wall hanger. A cool wall hanger

6. and no one said he said he was going to use it as an air tank...my interest was only could it be safely used as one

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The how much did you pay for it/What's worth thing is one question/conversation that bugs the crap out of me when someone outside my family or close friends asks about most anything I have. It was one thing that drove me away from taking the truck to any shows and bailing from the whole hot rod/custom hobby for several years. I've taken my sailboat to a lot of boat events over the years where it is usually one of the low buck boats there and probably the lowest buck total expenditure boat there but not once have I ever heard someone ask one of my sailboat friends what something is worth or what they paid for it unless they have a for sale sign on it. Last time I took my truck to a car show I had at least three mouthbreathers walk up and ask what it was worth. No how much was it chopped, how many louvers or who did the louvers or how did I do the suicide doors, just "how much is it worth?" It's a total turn off as far as I am concerned.
    Partsdawg, you probably blew the secret to finding items for a friendly price in going to swap meets where those items aren't well known.

partsdawg likes this.
  8. FYI ! Sno Jet Thunder Jet vintage race sleds used those tanks. I believe they were for the 71 Thunder Jet. Those could be worth more to the vintage sled crowd than the car nuts .
    Vic

Vanness likes this.
  9. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't mind some one asking , I just say..I'd rather not say....and focus when im selling on making the buyer a good deal..everyone loves a good deal...right?

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

For how much it`s worth, I think came from to many people watching way to much TV.

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Partsdog, I have to admit, when I opened up your post about buying a Moon tank, and started reading that you bought it at a snowmobile swap meet, I thought your next line was going to relate to what a good deal you got on it. It just fit the scenario of posts where HAMBer's have bought Hot Rod parts for cheap at garage sales, etc. and share what a good deal they received.

I think of the HAMB as a group of Rodder's gathered in a driveway or having breakfast and discussing cars, except there's 1000's of us present. Starting your post is akin to walking up with the tank and saying you bought it at a snowmobile swap meet. Everyone there would be thinking it must have been a great deal if you're bringing it out for show n tell. You have to expect that with that bait someone will ask how much you paid. Sure it's nobody's business, but you kind of set it up.
    We all love a good deal and some love to compare their scores.
    Maybe the polite way to ask is "did you get a good deal on it"? And like Choptop said, the polite answer would be simply "yes" or "I'd rather not say". Nuff said.

Budget36 and Saxman like this.
  12. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a newbe to traditional rods. I want to start collecting parts for a build. Without knowledge of what others have paid for parts it's hard for me to know what's a fair price for used parts, New it's easy look at the catalogs.
    So how much did it cost can be a nosy question or an educational question. But as long as everyone is tactful things should be fine.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Budget36 likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Aside from the "butt hurt" aspect of this thread (nothing personal to the OP), from many years of hitting the swap meet trail I've had numerous items over the years I've both kept and sold, mostly kept, some sold to friends some sold at the swap meet, two different price structures because of the relationship.
    Even when it was at the swap meet they usually walked away happy, regardless of what I paid for it, at least I assumed so or they would not have paid the price.
    In this day and age where some reproduction parts aren't worth the box they are put in, used original parts are gonna be snatched up, some at a profit sometimes at a loss.

mkebaird likes this.