Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Conceived as a drawing in 1955 by Joe Hennings for Rod & Custom, this car was finally built and entered this year’s AMBR! Spence Murray was editor of R&C then and was at the show Friday. 31C3F2DA-61A7-4CBA-9E26-AE9257E2F2A6.jpeg 0A5C65D4-C8F4-4F93-844A-1AAED2E7ECD6.jpeg

63fdsnr, patmanta, Hyfire and 7 others like this.
  2. One thing that most of us one want to recognize is that we came up in time of unrest. Maynard Krebs was sort of tongue in cheek, unlike Lenny Bruce who was more in your face. Funny thing I hawked the Berkley Barb when I was in junior high, that was where I met Zippy the Pinhead. LOL Truth be known when I looked at the pic through my fever riddled eyes I just thought he had been on a bad one. ;)

I am not sure that hot rodding was as political in its nature, but as I recall back then rodders were hoodlums. The very idea of anything being homogenized was entirely outside of the box that most that I knew and loved lived in. One thing that I learned as a kid was that those who were willing to think for themselves knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that literally anything could be rodded. Maybe it was not as accepted as the really cool magazine cars but they were fast and fun.

Blues4U and Stogy like this.
  3. topher5150

topher5150

other than SEMA advocating for car enthusiasts, I don't think hot rodding has ever really been used to make political statements, and it seems to be one of the few things left that doesn't.

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

When the California Air Resources Board (CARB) cracked down on the speed equipment industry, the magazines were quick to feature hot rod engine builds that beat the CARB specs. Unfortunately, this caused CARB to add visual inspections and even though after market intakes and headers actually reduced emissions, they added a visual inspection component to the rules so as to ban those items. There were politics back then, just not as intense as it is now.

Stogy likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just glad someone took a picture and I found it along with the story...

6. I don't expect to have the last word on this subject, although if any one would allow it the thread may just stay alive. in the interest of keeping the thread alive maybe we should stray back toward the original intent of the thread which is non-homogenized hot rods.

That said, here on the HAMB we consider ourselves to be the guardians of history. We avoid actual politics for good reason, we are not a politically motivated community. That said in its essence hot rodding was a form of political statement. Any time one makes the decision to not conform they are making a statement. The whole idea of a not homogenized hot rod in itself is a form of non conformity.

I personally like the idea of hot rods that are not main stream. But anyone who knows me knows that I am a sort of an Alfred E Newman sort of a fella. I just don't do adult well.:oops:

All that said lets try and get back to hotrod. I'll shoulder the blame for taking it off the rails and if anyone wants to discuss it further perhaps private message or even a group private message is the best way to do that.

Uh thanks for your patience. ;)

History first and let all else be damned. :p

Stogy likes this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

During that particular 5 year time in history at the other end of College Avenue Oakland/Berkley my non-homoginized vehicles were:
    '51 Ford Woody with pretty hot flathead, home made reversed wheels with big and littles skinny whites cracked the block in Santa Barbara. Drove home looking like a steam engine.
    '41 Chevy pickup built 261 six Vette side drafts, Fenton headers, more DYI reversed wheels. Very fast 0-85mph Not much after that. Needed OD
    '48 Chevy Fleet Line built 235 three speed OD, same reversed wheels from the pickup big and littles Sold to Art Himsl. He drove it with my lemon peal yellow paint and Chiquita banana signs in the painted out rear windows. Back winds removed for surf board. Earlier he bought my '40 Sedan Delivery.
    '61 Morris Minor Woody Built Morris Big Block (1100cc) Sprite head and dual carbs., MG Midget tube header, Morris centers in 14" Chevy station wagon outers. Centers painted black outers chrome. beefed up suspension, Anglia front brakes. Kick in the ass to drive! Sold it to buy a '49 Chevy pickup more homemade reversed wheels 16" centers on 14" station wagon outers. in rear. I traded it in on a '70 Blazer. Still have the blazer.
    Sorry no pics I can post right now. Some of those may have been pasteurized but not homogenized. Now, were they hot rods? :confused: They were what I had and all stock when I got them.
    OK porknbeaner, we're back!:rolleyes:

Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. Thanks ;)

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Good stuff @Stogy! This is by far one of my favorite threads!

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @cactus1...Teamwork my friend..I love discovering the past that I never lived...Although with the Ole Hotrod I can taste it now.

Enjoying seeing yours coming together. Your doing a fantastic job. This will be an exciting year for you.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    cactus1 likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. ‘33chevNate, Stogy and cactus1 like this.
  17. A Boner

A Boner

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  18. Ah - Mr Metalshapes unibody roadster. Brilliantly executed.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

If you would have any more pictures of this one, it would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

cactus1, Stogy and Max Gearhead like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2​

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OLLIN, AHotRod, patmanta and 2 others like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    cactus1 and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  28. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

What a great thread. Thanks to Stogy for keeping it alive.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

cactus1 and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is and thank you Koolkat for your support, it really has been a collaborative effort by many including yourself.

I appreciate the assistance from so many who appreciate what happens in thinking minds through out the mechanical ages we have lived with these 4 wheeled platforms for creativity.

Must also thank the many photographers whom captured the moments even if just one to give credence to the fact it did actually happen.

This thread is just an interesting aligning of the Hotrod/Jalopy stars that I truly find amazing each day that goes by.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    cactus1 likes this.
  30. garage2small

garage2small

How about this for something a little different? Photo taken by the great Tom Davidson at GNRS 2018. Does anyone know the builder/owner and specifics on this very cool roadster? Looks like it may have a straight 6, 8, or V 12 engine. Wicked roadster.jpg