Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects AV8 to wide 5 brake and wheel conv’

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Easyspeed, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

Picked up a pile of parts from my buddy today. For what its worth I believe I got 36’ spindles, a pair of 4” wide 5’s and a pair of the v8 60 3.5” wide 5’s. The drums I’m not possitive on the year. Same on the backing plates but I’m thinking they are early 40 bp.

So my question is do I need to swap spindles to run these drums up front and will they bolt straight on the 29’?

And also do the wide 5’s drums all fit up to these juice brakes?

0nedon and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

3. bct

bct

36 front is one year only. Has a long snout. Find out what drums you have. You will need the simple kit to adapt to model A spindles

4. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

Thanks, I’ll do some measuring tonight and try to nail down a year on those drums. Still unsure on the year of the backing plates.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The backing plates are '42-'48 because of the fixed brake shoe anchors.

6. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

Great thanks, I appreciate the insite guys. What parts are you all using to rebuild these guys? Napa have masters and shoes for these old things still

7. Frames

Frames

the spindles are the popular round back 37-41. they fit the A axle. the black hubs look like short snout 37-39. perfect fit. wheel cylinders and shoes. early ford sales 800 417 3347. half the price of NAPA

0nedon likes this.
  8. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

Thanks again, measured the drums flat backed on the floor to the snout. About 5.5” not an excact measurement, but from the search I did here shows a 36’ hub around 6.5” in regards to that dimension. They are still all in need of a cleaning but a few of the raised cast numbers provided little help. I did find one that has a stamp in it. And it started with a 7 which leads me to believe it was a 37’. That drum matched the height of the rest. I’ll try to get these blasted and painted and rebuilt within the next year or so.

What is a good paint to spray? I’m looking for a good durable black paint for the frame, wheels, etc.. I don’t want a real high gloss looking paint or flat as flat black. A paint I can pick up for my cheap ol hvlp gun and put it down with out having to worry about it flaking off

9. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

You might want to measure the drums to make sure they are still within specs before you spend time and materials on them.

Easyspeed likes this.
  10. Yep, I have some known 37-39 drums, and mine all measured roughly 5.75" sitting flat backed on the floor.

11. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm pretty sure the 36 front drums have fins on them. The set I have does.

IIRC, the rear drums all interchange.

That is a nice set of wheels!

12. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

Thanks, I pulled the brakes apart last night and started cleaning them up. Is there a way to get these adjusters off? I wanted to paint the backing plates and could probably replace those springs while I’m at it.

Also looking for a good paint for the wheels. Or should I just get them powder coated?

[​IMG]

13. Flip them over and have a look. There should be a retainer on the inside of the drum that you can remove.

14. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

Sorry pic is not working. The springs and adjusters I’m asking about are the 2 that are about 1” coils with a hex bolt on the top. The inside of the backing plate has an eccentric shaped washer and it appears to be pressed or stamped on the stud. If I grind that mushroom off I wonder if they are available to purchace or it I need to make something?

15. We're talking about the same thing. If you compress the coil under the hex bolt, does it loosen up the washer to spin? Like a later Ford retainer pin?

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Those early ones should be swaged, like a chisel mark (+) to expand the shaft to a 'flange'. Grind them off and they'll be too short, so may have to mig a 'buildup' to regain length. It can be done with a die grinder and your Mig gun...
    If you don't have a press, use the spindle on your drill press. (a piece of 1/2" conduit can be notched at the lower end to gain access to re-weld where it was swaged before)

bct likes this.
  17. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

Sounds like a plan, I have a press, grinder and a welder. Does anyone sale this spring? Maybe I can source one elsewhere

18. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

And as alsways thanks a ton, sometimes I just need a kick in the ass to do what I plan lol

19. Thanks for the education. Now I know better.

20. alchemy

alchemy

Why remove the adjuster bolt and spring? Guys have been cleaning up old backing plates for decades and never removed the adjuster bolts.

But, if you insist, there is a shop that advertises a stainless steel bolt and springs in the classifieds to replace the old ones. I'm pretty sure they make them. Sorry I can't remember the name of the shop. Scroll through the classifieds for sale and you'll find it eventually.

21. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

The rear plates Inhave are pretty crusty. Thought about replacing the springs. But after sanblasting them and thinking more about it. I’m going to leave them alone. The springs don’t really do much but secure tension on the adjuster. Plus they are in the back tucked away.

Now to find a good paint for them.