Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead assembly what do you use for gasket sealer

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by revkev6, Jan 27, 2018.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Hey guys.. temp finally broke in New england and I'm finally back to work putting my flathead together. What do you guys use for sealant. Things like rear cam cover.. oil pan, timing cover and water pumps?

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. You will probably get many opinions on this..My personal choice is to use exactly what old Henry used..stock gaskets...nothing more...

sunbeam likes this.
  3. flatjack

flatjack

4. weathrmn

weathrmn

On my flathead and other engines all I use is locktite 515. I used it to seal the threads on the head studs on the flathead

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Just putting on oil pickup want to make sure it's going to be a good seal

6. I've had good luck for years with COPPER COTE, either spray or dauber, de pending on the gasket.

mike bowling likes this.
  7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use a VERY small amount of Permatex #2 on oil pump and pickup gaskets. You don't want any air to enter past the mount surfaces.

Irish Mike likes this.
  8. Just a thin coating of grease to hold the gasket in place.

dan c and stillrunners like this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^ I agree. Life got a LOT easier for me when I started using grease instead of some kind of "stickum" on my head gaskets.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am re-installing my oil pan tomorrow on my 8BA, I will not be using gaskets on the side rails, just silicone there and the rope seals front and rear.

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bandit Billy what silicone are you using on your pan rails? I have to reinstall my pan later this week and wondered which one to use?

13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Doing pan now.. my best gaskets fully overlap the front and real seals touching the crank. Should i leave them long? I have heard of guys having partial overlaps and dabbling some silicone at the joint but not all the way? Thinking I should trim it until it's halfway overlapping the seals?

14. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Another odd thing. Just spun the motor over after installing the timing cover and the Salinger that the seal rides against isn't moving... that supposed to 've a press fit on the crank snout?

FIN Flat likes this.
  15. flatjack

flatjack

If you mean the sleeve with the spiral groove, yes it is a tight fit and should not turn.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just black rtv

17. zzford

zzford

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  18. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Yup.. called @Bored&Stroked up to pick his brain and he never had one do that! I pulled it back apart and the sleeve came off by hand Used a polish knurl on the id of the sleeve and some green locktite to keep it in place. Pan and timing cover buttoned up. Just have to clean up my water pumps and throw on the stock heads and intake so I can drop it off for paint!

20. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Funny you say that as hylomar makes that product under license of rolls royce... aerospace but still lol

uncle-scary likes this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, I quoted myself...cool.
    My pan was installed by the machoine shop a few years back. It was only run for the burn in and dyno run. The pan leaked at the oil dipstick bracket (original gasket) prompting a pan removal and repair. I pulled the bolts and had to hammer a shorty screwdriver between the block and pan (several times) to separate the two. When I finally got it down I found no gasket, just silicone.

I called the shop and he said the thickness of the gasket would make the end seals susceptible to leaking, that and he didn't like the look of the cheap gasket that I had furnished him. I will silicone mine back on this week in the same fashion.

My flathead may leak, but it wont be from a lack of effort to prevent it.