Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old thread posting.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Most of us are likely guilty of doing it. Posting on a really old thread. It took me along time to realize how old the thread was as a newbie. I'd get excited that I have something to add to the thread and post without looking at the dates. Anybody else do/done this?
    FWIW, I find it entertaining now that I'm more familiar with the site. And no harm is usually caused by adding to a thread that's 10 years old. What say you?

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still do it occasionally, mostly when I'm in a hurry. No big deal, since usually a newbie or two hadn't seen it. Recycling isn't a crime.

bct, Stogy, Donuts & Peelouts and 2 others like this.
  3. LAROKE

LAROKE

I rarely look at the dates myself since I mostly just scan and respond to new posts. I find it amusing when someone responds to a years old post as if the OP was just waiting for an answer. That said, it's good to keep things in one place for posts of a tech nature. Some things are timeless.

4. I just posted on my build thread. Started it 5 years ago.

5. old cars and old threads okay as long as they are "traditional"....

117harv, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The cars we are talking about are at least 53 years old, so I think there is not much that has not been discussed yet by someone. I was made in ´76, so I´m really glad the old guys keep repeating their stories . Otherwise I´d be bound to die uneducated, hahaha.
    In fact I mostly enjoy when an old thread turns up after a couple of years, and if I don´t, I just skip it,

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. No, I haven't done that. :oops:
    But I did have an Elvis sighting at the local laundromat 2 weeks ago and I called the newspaper. :rolleyes:

Lou kriger, Clay Belt and Budget36 like this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Some of those old posts bring back memories. I remember the first time I ever logged on the internet.

Because I haven't logged off yet! Jeeze Louise.

Clay Belt and iwanaflattie like this.
  9. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thread origin date is at the top level on the website, but obscure and harder to spot in the moblie app. I'm sure that plays a role. Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Some threads just seem to resurface periodically, like a hippo in his watering hole. :D
    HambHippoBoat.jpg

10. I like old threads... how old is this one? :rolleyes:

I hate it when someone reminds us that the search bar is your friend, after I've spent hours searching for something! :confused:

Poh and oldrelics like this.
  11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Montana1, Stogy and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  12. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I have seen numerous instances of recent solutions posted to problems discussed in old threads. Great use of old threads!

13. It's not like an old thread gets leprosy, if you have new knowledge for an old thread spill it!

14. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I do it. Is it a rule or something not to because I'll notice somebody always with the "this is an old thread" comment. I think it's better then having multiple threads on the same topic.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

blowby, Montana1 and Stogy like this.
  15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

My favorites are when someone replys to an old thread, like Beaner says, like the OP is waitiing for an answer, without reading the thread and realizing it has been answered in 2005 :) And the search function works best for me when I google it, and put hamb in the search bar also.

Terrible80 and ManChu like this.
  16. Speaking of old threads, anyone have a link for the shit chopper thread? Or the one Ryan posted a few years ago with vintage race car crash footage?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  17. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I love it, there is lots of good info buried in a mass of old threads......

18. No harm ,no foul. HRP

19. squirrel

squirrel

I usually look at the dates of any thread I'm reading.

There's no rule against posting to an old thread, but if your post looks like you have no idea when the thread is from, then you might look slightly silly to folks who do pay attention to the dates.

Stogy and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  20. canning

canning

"Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all."

deuce666, Montana1 and Truck64 like this.
  21. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You know you're REALLY a nerd when you bring up a search topic, start reading 10 year old posts, find one that seems familiar and suddenly realize it's you that wrote it.

LAROKE, SR100, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  22. The hippo boat thread was awesome, no matter how old it was.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Baumi likes this.
  23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Opening an old thread and the whole room lets you know they're getting cramps but not before they spit it back it out onto your face. :D [​IMG]

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

No, it just means you're slow on getting around to doing stuff!

Truck64 likes this.
  25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I actually have a pretty clever response to this thread, I'll be posting it in 2028.

LAROKE, norms30a, Lou kriger and 3 others like this.
  26. I get messages on parts sold 10 years ago.

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@ six ball just posted this in a response to a post I did. Its awesome footage with some real bad endings for vintage racers however it also shows how vulnerable and dangerous things were and why step's were taken to improve safety.

I think its the same video Ryan posted.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-47#post-12401997

28. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

No harm.. No foul...

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Many of the "dug up from the dead" responses are a result of a non HAMBer Googling a subject (or particular car or person), finding the HAMB thread, then joining the HAMB to reply. Their reply is their first post here.
    It's really bittersweet when we see a Child posting for the first time here on a thread that they found because they did a Google search on their Dad or his car. I've seen this many times. I remember once posting about a particular racer that was killed during a drag race here in San Diego in the early 50's and his Son replied to the thread!

bct and Stogy like this.
  30. williebill

williebill

I like it, it's HAMB history, doesn't bother me at all. I seldom notice, unless I see a reply from a HAMBer who's no longer with us, then I'll reread the whole thread.
    It is funny to see guys get pissy over old threads...

Stogy likes this.