Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Bitza (from France)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bug_57S, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Bug_57S

Bug_57S

Hi everyone,

I'm a 17. French student who love prewar cars. I added CBF (Club Bugatti France) few years ago but those cars are too expensive for my wallet.
    My goal at first is to participate at some races against people driving Bentley, Bugatti, MG or other Alfa-Romeo but I don't have a lot of money because of my age. That's why a friend (famous in the "custom" world in France) said me that the best way would be to buy a Ford and do a special car with a majority of pre-war or early post-war parts (or new ones but for having an old look !)

Unfortunetly, nobody in my family is owner of classic cars also I need to learn a lot about the technic. Also, I have a lot of questions for you.

- My base is a Model A frame with title. I have to "Z" it two times, box it too, and add cross members. The cuts have to be on the rear and at the level of the gearbox like a lot of English realisations of this period (E.R.A. or Riley for exemple).

-I'd change the bakes system for an hydrolic one from '39 with steel wheels. Have you got some tips for that and perhaps one or two adress for having parts (in Europe perhaps ?)

-I need too a four speed gearbox I think, enough strong for 150hp. One of Packard L8 perhaps ? But I didn't find one yet. Same problem for the rear axle, a Packard as well ? What can you advise me for the driveshaft ?

-For the coachwork, I would realise it like a streamlined Weymann one. (see the Frazer Nash owlet) But does somebody have some old docs and pics about model A at European's races or with special coupé coachwork ?

-Finally, the most interessant part of the project : I wanna keep the model A engine but totally rebuilt. I heard that, someone is assembling engines with a special crankcase and a five mains crakshaft. I'm waiting for knowing who exactly and for buying .
    I want to develop about 150hp. Do you know if someone sell some engine blocs with pressurized oil system or even simply tips for doing that ?
    What is the best ohv kit conversion (is there a craftsman who does one whith 12 or 16 valves ?).

Hope to see you soon,
    Bug

2. Juggler

Juggler

Hello Bug

Lots of questions!

If I were you and on a limited budget, I would try and keep things simple for now. A stock uncut Model A frame with stock running gear and mechanical brakes with a mildly hopped up Model A motor and a rudimentary body will provide plenty of smiles without breaking the bank.

Build yourself a speedster body from the cowl back and go have fun in it before you start something that you won't be able to use, or afford to finish, for years. If it is 'unmodified' (mechanically) then in the UK at least it will be easier to insure, especially at your age.

For parts, look on the UK hot rod sites like http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/stuff-sale/ and
    http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/forumdisplay.php?6-Parts-for-sale-ads. Stuff turns up on ebay UK as well.

Keep an eye on the monthly banger meets on here also, and read back through the years

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/january-2018-banger-meet-happy-new-year.1091324/

If you really need a 4 speed box, there is a tech piece on adapting a Volvo transmission amongst all that.

For the motor, think 'keep it simple stupid'. A single downdraft manifold/carb, good ignition and a high compression head will make a big difference.

Oh, and join the VHRA. They have a few French members, as well as Dutch and Belgian, who may be able to help with advice and parts closer to home.

http://www.vhra.co.uk/VHRA/Home.html

Bon chance

Juggs

3. khead47

khead47

Good luck with getting 150 HP ! It is possible with MUCHO money. Juggler has good info.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Bug_57S

Bug_57S

Thanks guys !
    There was a misunderstanding (in this regard, sorry for my English) : I d'ont have the budget for a Bugatti ohc engine or a 6C twin cam but I have enough to do something really cool with a Model A. I have about 8k $ for the engine ;)
    Nice Juggler, I have to see links what you sent asap.

5. Juggler

Juggler

6. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Great advice from Juggler. Keep the weight of your build to a minimum and you'll have good performance and OK braking without needing exotic modifications.

dwollam, chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  7. All good advice above,and welcome to the HAMB.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great to see such a young guy like you being interested in early cars and hot rods. If you need help with old Ford parts in Europe, you may want to try and contact Mike Lange from Germany, drop him a line at [email protected] , he also knows a lot about bangers and flathead v8s, transmissions and so on and has lots of parts. He is on the HAMB too, his name is @flatordead
    Micha Hess @HotRodMicky key is also very knowledgeable, but I only have his cell phone number. I can forward it to you via PM if you´d like to have it. I think he has a 24 T Roadster body for sale right now for about 1500 Euros, maybe that is something you might consider as a body for your project.
    Ed Loyd @edwardlloyd is another place to go for help if it comes to old Fords, www.edsrodshop.de
    He did a couple of build threads on here, reading them may be interesting for you...

dwollam, chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  9. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Try looking closer to home for rear axle etc. 1950,s Simca Vedette should yield lots of parts for your project if you can find one in a car breakers.

dwollam and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. For the rear axle try a Jaguar MK1 or 2. Small and capable of + 150 bhp. Even in France posible to find.
    Good luck with your build.

Hennie

dwollam likes this.
  11. Juggler

Juggler

One more thing. You say you want to race against the Bugattis and Bentleys et al, so I assume you are wanting a race car rather than a hot rod. If that is the case, then read up carefully on what makes your car eligible to race in whatever race series you are aiming at. Rules is rules.

For example, the VSCC (December 1930 cut off date) in the UK will tolerate Model A engines (and some period ohv conversions) but not the Model B engine. The 'modified' class will allow transmissions, axles, brakes 'of the same type' as standard, but that's not going to extend to Volvo transmissions or Jag rear axles.

You don't want to spend big money on a focused race car and then find you don't have anyone to play with. Other than us of course. The VHRA rules are a bit wider, and they run hillclimbs, drags and the racing on the sand at Pendine every year. No circuit racing (yet) and no Bentleys or Bugattis allowed though.

The 24 T body sounds worth chasing up at that price by the way. If you want a ready built car that you can put your go faster banger engine in then my buddy's '23 T is for sale in the UK, at a price that is less than it would cost to build it now. I'll pm you some pics and details if you are interested.

Cheers

Juggs

12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

chryslerfan55, dwollam and doncobell like this.
  13. Juggler

Juggler

14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

chryslerfan55, dwollam and Juggler like this.
  15. I remember a thread where a guy was "rodding" a Citron ( realy cool project) in France. I think he said something about being limited to body mods only becouse the laws would not let anything be done to the engine. I'm sure you know much more than I do about what you can do but you may want to check into it before you get too far.
    On the other hand, a 17 year old building a pre war style Model A, COOL !

Bug_57S, dwollam and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Bug_57S

Bug_57S

Thanks a lot everyone,
    For answering you :

@Juggler you're totally right : Vhc rules are strict, that's why I want only parts which look like from the period '30/'50. A friend can issue FIA titles. I will certainly answer him when I'll see him next week.
    Waiting your pm about your car for sale ;)

@Baumi thanks for the links you sent : helpful.

@46international It's true indeed but...it isn't important when you know what you have to do for avoiding that...

@Ned Ludd I think I've already decided what coachwork I want. Pics are coming asap.

18. Juggler

Juggler

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I find this intriguing. Come back and tell us more, @Bug_57S !

20. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

French Citroen Rod
    Here is the link: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-inline-modified-version-2-0.331800/

Sounds like a fun endeavor, good luck!