Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Anyone know this year's AMBR contenders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sancho, Jan 20, 2018.

1. 16 cars in the running this year. EDIT! Make that 15, one did not get done

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    K13 likes this.
  2. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

There is usually a sign of some sort identifying the car & owner.

I suspect that most of the "high" dollars are spent on labor (i.e.; fit & finish), at least that's my experience. I'm looking forward to seeing them all - in AMBR competition, Suede Palace & my personal favorite - driven in on Friday, Saturday & Sunday between the buildings. See y'all there!!

3. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

The Rodder's Journal is posting a preview on Facebook tomorrow

TRJ likes this.
  4. This has been less than impressive so far today. It's nice that they try but half of it has been done with a fisheye lense which made it very difficult to watch and when they finally turned that off a bunch was shot sideways. Some cool cars though.

5. [​IMG] it's here

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  6. HEMI32 and Ranchero59 like this.
  7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Street Rodder has been posting live walkthrough video of the AMBR cars on Facebook today.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

8. HEMI32, David Gersic and woodz like this.
  9. HEMI32, David Gersic and woodz like this.
  10. HEMI32, David Gersic and woodz like this.
  11. Anderson

Anderson

Whoa, that is gorgeous!

gnichols, Blues4U and brad2v like this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dan Hostetter did a great job from just one drawing of a non-existing concept.

drdave, bchctybob and brad2v like this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad to see so many traditional style roadsters. The fake looking 36-7 will probably win......

14. The builder said he had to resize the body from the drawings because the original proportions would have only been wide enough for 1 1/2 seats. They also had to make panels on the sides that fold in as the wheels turn because they wouldn't have been able to turn the way it was originally drawn.

15. Cool car but I think the wide radials just kill the look unfortunetly

Dago 88, Spooky, Squablow and 3 others like this.
  16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Mama taught me that if i can't say something nice, then don't say anything. I ain't saying shit.

17. alchemy

alchemy

The original RnC drawing has wide tires on it. He replicated the correct look just fine. They might be radials, but they are the right size.

RICH B likes this.
  18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Looks like the traditional cars outweigh the non this year. The black roadster in post #74 is a killer! But, what do we know as 'hot rodders'? I'm sure on of the big-wheeled clown cars will win.

19. A little sneak peak, courtesy of Hop Up Magazine and Tom Branch
    26865279_2032641590351359_3930033498340982784_n.jpg 26864254_1647927258634885_604369574346883072_n.jpg 26866385_148494625849313_6746893133771964416_n.jpg

20. You need to remember that this award is America's Most Beautiful ROADSTER - No where in the title or Rules does it say or imply a "Hot Rod". And over the years there have been many vehicles that fell outside of what most on here would call a hot rod and prefer to see win. Some have been very controversial - probably none more so than Tex Smith's winner from 19634, the XR-6 roadster, At the time many lamented that it was far from a "Hot Rod" and it sure wan't a 27 Ford that it claimed to be. It was very futuristic for the time, maybe more so than the Boyd or Foose cars of more recent time.
    [​IMG]

So while, just like many of you, I would prefer that the cars be more in line with what WE consider Hot Rods, there is nothing in the history of this award, or many past winners, that says that is what needs to win. And since beauty is in the eye of the beholders (or in this case the judges) all of us are not going to agree with the winners each year. And speaking of the judges, most of these guys are well respected in the hobby as builders or journalists that generally do understand the task at hand. We all don't have to agree with the winners (and won't)

One last note - that "fake looking 36-7" (it's a 36) is more recognizable as a 36 than the above past winner was a a '27. As the execution on that car, while not my style, is pretty exceptional - even more so when you find out that not only was it completely built at home in a garage in Norco CA, it is a first ever complete car build by the owner, who did all of the body modifications, the chassis work, Handbuilt stainless exhaust system, the complex folding top (that he built from a cast off old MG top), etc. He even did the stunning paint job at home in his garage. The only thing he didn't do was the plating and the upholstery (although he built all the interior panels, Ron Mangus stitched it) So while it may not fit your (or my) style or idea of what a '36 Ford should be, I have to give him major props for building a car of that level in his first attempt and being accepted to compete for the AMBR.

21. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Nye roadster, hands down

Spooky and Blues4U like this.