Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '33 5W Jalopy Rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Shaun1162, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Those pistons look great. How did you clean them?
    Aaron

2. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Yeah, just never really seen another set of Offy's with outlets like these (or any other brand). Kind unique, but not sure the generator offset will clear. Could just run an idler pulley instead though.

Thanks man. Really happy with how the grill turned out.

Thanks! Ill try and remember to hit him up, always love to learn more about this stuff.

Hey no rush! Just neat to think that distributor was in a sedan, racing side by side with this coupe some 50 years again...

Thanks for the kind words. I got hung up too long on try to preserve everything, when in reality I should have just focused on my own rendition of it. 20/20 hindsight I guess.

Old jalopies are a good starting point, depending on the project. Thankfully this body was in incredible shape (aside from the bottom) so that definitely helped.

Glad to hear this isn't a dead-end. Thankfully I've got the help of some old time flatty experts helping me put this little 284 together and make er spin.

Actually started with a run through an old dishwasher haha. After that just cleaned with solvent and lightly wire brushed.

3. Mikel50

Mikel50

You’re doing such a great job on the rebuild ! Awesome thread Man ! Car looks killer !

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

onekoolkat1950 and Shaun1162 like this.
  4. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks man!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

6. Looks great Shaun !

7. killing it!

8. Anderson

Anderson

9. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Another piece to the puzzle...

@603norm was kind enough to donate a passenger rear door from a Fordor to help fix the drivers side.

I was a little reluctant to use it because it was a pretty decent door (hope nobody reading this was looking for one!) and I wasn’t sure if I was clever enough to make it fit.... But I think it’s turning out decent:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Squablow, R A Wrench, brEad and 18 others like this.
  10. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Awesome work.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Looks great! Pretty soon you won't be able to call it a jalopy anymore!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  12. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

13. catdad49

catdad49

Dang, now you've gone and made a Hot(r) Rod out of it!! If I was a little younger ( and lot more talented), I'd be out there looking for an old jalopy to rescue. Do I see TROG in the future!? Next you be putting another seat in it, but no matter what I Still Love It.

Shaun1162 likes this.
  14. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Final patch panels arrived, along with 12” of snow...

[​IMG]

Overall no big surprises with the body... but I now remember a few other aspects that need to be fixed. Not sure if I should have the gas tank cap exposed, or lower the tank and have to open to trunk to fill it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They certainly didn’t forget the red wrench with the rear end of the car either. Of course I cut the top weld where the trunk met the tail piece, and now the “deck lid” is too short.... Looks like they added an angled filler piece at the bottom.

Should I pound out the dent and weld on another filler, or just make a new deck lid? Planning to make it easily removeable this time.

[​IMG]

Squablow, brEad, adam401 and 7 others like this.
  15. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks for the kind words. The aesthetics have certainly changed a little bit, but deep down it’s still an old beater race car. Gotta leave a lot of the dents and bruises, can’t make it too nice after all. Not a lot of talent here, more of a pretend bodyman!

If the stars align, TROG ‘18 is the goal. I’d like to finish the body and paint it as soon as I can so that I can submit. Hopefully the Oilers like this refined version a little more!

Stogy, catdad49 and cactus1 like this.
  16. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Love your build Shaun, I am a LONGTIME dirt track guy and remember well the end of the coupe and coach era most were 37-40 era however...I myself never cut one up but I did cut up a couple of camaro's ! Maybe someday I will kick myself for that as the original " builder" of yours may regret the torch work today!

Shaun1162 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  17. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I think you answered your own question add a 2" piece and you're done...what about repairing the sail panel and moving the filler neck slightly back so it's a just a hole in the lid? that way the basic shell is mostly original, you retain race car flavor, and don't have to open it every time you re-fuel

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  18. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Shaun1162 likes this.
  19. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Car is looking good to bad the think it can run on dirt but not on sand maybe Elmarage that's dirt right?

Shaun1162 likes this.
  20. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

21. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Fantastic transformation hope to see it at TROG 2018

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

22. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Ha. Nah. Unfortunately I think I need to change the title to this thread.

My coupe and I are just not TROG material, I guess.

lodaddyo likes this.
  23. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

24. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These Jalopy Racers really went through many changes throughout the years and a lot of them started out as pretty cherry rides. I just recently went through a large array of racers and was shocked at how nice some were so while you have reversed the osmosis a bit it still represents a viable part of what it may have been..Another interesting bit of info I gleaned was from a Hamber I met recently talking of how crazy this racing was and bashing an opponent off the track was just part of winning the race...I always thought contact was just accident due to close quarter racing but apparently not.

So Shaun you've really got this Ole Jalopy Hotrod to a place where you can stop or do a few
    more period details...I hope these inspire and I'd say you captured the flavor...so whats the plans TROG 2019?

Early ride for Mel Payne___.jpg

c1936 aurora speedway 9 art scovell clarence eckhardt coll radpike 7.97.12.7.jpg

Driver unknown.jpg

Up on the fence - Possibly Sunbrock Speedway in the mid _50s Joslin Collection.jpg

circa 1957-58 Kings Marine Mart Special Charlie Greco from the Albritton Pullen Col..jpg

Credit to Photographers, Owners

http://www.floridastockcars.com/

26. sdroadster

sdroadster

I saw a jalopy in the NHRA Museum that had a 40 Ford front straight axle used as a rear bumper/push bar. Simple brackets welded on, and bolted to the frame. I thought it was pretty cool. Those young men used what ever they had...

Stogy likes this.
  27. stinson

stinson
    from alabama

Wow so cool to see the sheet metal go back to make it a real coupe again. Love what you've done keeping that cars history alive but cleaning it up. Awesome

Stogy likes this.
  28. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Finally figured out what I’m going to do with this thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks @themoose

[​IMG]

adam401, burl, kidcampbell71 and 7 others like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as it has "Have Fun with it" at the end of what ever you have in mind I'm happy for you because that is the end goal really is to have a good time...it looks like you can Jalopyize on the street now with a breeze...That will be fun for sure.

Shaun1162 and patmanta like this.
  30. Pete

Pete

Let’s chop it! Your not starting with a perfect car so it’s a perfect candidate to go under the knife.