Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GPS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PHIL COOPY, Jan 24, 2018.

1. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Are any of you guys using a GPS speed sensor with your speedometer. If they are reliable it would sure make things easier for me and my 39 transmission. I know the GPS speed in my Ford Flex is accurate and always works.

Phil

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I use one. I really like it. make sure your GPS is compatible with your speedometer. I had one that wasn't and fought calibrating it forever.
    Now I've got the correct one from Speedway, I have it in my cab, under my dash, and it picks up signal no problem.
    Its a bit slow at catching up when I stand on it, but I can live with that

3. trollst

trollst

I have a gps speedo in my 27, it's an autometer , but it works well and solves some issues with cable and calibration. Go for it.

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have a Stewart Warner electronic speedometer with a GPS sending unit from Summit.
    The 2 units were easy to setup and only take a minute or two to get the signal and start working.
    Checked against a police radar and it was dead on! (don't ask)
    KK

5. 41fastback

41fastback

What GPS unit was that? I have a SW electric speedo.

6. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

I use a speedo app on my phone, FREE and accurate. Used it to mark my tach for speeds.

flynbrian48 and dana barlow like this.
  7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the speedometer on the Waze app on my phone Works great!

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I had built in 59 ,an still have 1928 "A" roadster I put a V8 y-block ford in with the 3speed std. tranny,at that time,I didn't hook up the speed-O. But by 1960,I desided I would like a way to tell my speed,so made small marks on my tach face rim with paint,by rpm=that were at 30 mph,40mph,50mph,60,70mph } was found by a buddy running in front an holding speeds tell I added tape pointer temp to tach rim. { we had no GPS . Old school !worked.

9. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

I've had a hand held GPS for camping and fishing marks the speed perfectly.

10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I have a SW Electronic Speedo with a Speedway GPS sender in my coupe. Works great most of the time. Occasionally it will just quit working for awhile and then return to service the next time I start the car or just start on it's own. I assume this is a satellite thing.I put my GPS sender on the rear bumper.

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I have an old Garmin GPS unit that was no longer being used that I stuck on the windshield with one of those suction cup holders, and hard wired the unit to the hot side of the key so it comes on whenever I start it up. It's been stuck on there so long I expect the rubber of the suction cup has melded into the glass and won't ever come off, haha! The maps are out of date, but I still use it occasionally to get directions someplace, or to find a restaurant or gas. But mainly I use it for the speedometer function, and for keeping track of my mileage inbetween fillups, as I don't have a functioning gas gauge either. I just reset the trip meter each time I fill up, and I know I have about 100 miles stop & go driving, about 130 - 150 highway driving, and then I need to get gas. So far I haven't run out since I started keeping track like that.

pat59 and Hnstray like this.
  12. deucemac

deucemac

I am using a Classic Skydrive GPS unit and it works quite well. I have a Stewart Warner Deluxe electric speedometer and it doesn't work well at all. Stewart Warner tech hell is useless. I had a long talk with the reps AT SEMA in 2015 that swore I wired it wrong (which I did not). They just walked off. SEMA 2016 had 2 different engineers that really acted as though they wanted to help. I sent back my first speedometer and they replaced it. The second one had the odometer quit at 100 miles, when I called to tell them about failure on number 2, I was told to rap sharply on the bezel while driving. High tech repair! I did so every 100 miles until it finally quit at 300 miles. Total mileage during this time figured out to be roughly 1500. The speedometer itself continues to operate unlike the first that decided to read right, jump around from 0 to 120 at times of its choosing or flop back to zero for a while until ready to go again. The crazyness started a 4k miles and remand like that until 6100 miles when the odometer decide to join the speedometer in death. At first I thought that perhaps the GPS unit was the problem. Classic techs worked with me in diagnosing the problem and came to the same conclusion I did. Stewart Warner built junk. I talked to yet 2 new reps at SEMA this year and they took all my information promising to "get back to me" right after the show. Today is late January and no contact from either one of them and calling the number on the business cards given to me in November are not answered or returned. So I spoke to Classic Inst. and they will be happy to make a speedometer with the same font and colors except my initials in the same size and script as S W. For about the same money AND guarantee it for 7 years! It is sad because I have used Stewart Warner since 1962 and considered them the standard in gauges. The rest of the gauges in my panel were left over units from 1989 when I closed up my speed shop and they perform well. But not the newer stuff that is foreign built.

robracer1 likes this.
  13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know this is OT from OP ,but "stupid warner" made in Mexico junk. First speedo the odometer didn't move at all for 1000 mls. Was sent a replacement , well that was worse. The odometer stopped at 440 while trying to drop the 4 and 0 down together instead of the 1.
    The speedo goes to 62mph the flicks off the clock till we get to 15mph then back to normal.
    Nope no more "stupid warner" for me.
    Just dismantled the whole dash and pulled it all out for the 3rd time and sent both to a local reputable repair shop. Only a 3hr job to get it out let alone put it back.
    I have a cable X in one car and a bitch to set works perfect. Have used cable x before in other cars and had no issues. Auto meter in another car perfect.
    We have a classic sky drive ready to test for another car. look forward to the gps unit.

robracer1 likes this.
  14. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's useful to know, thanks! I have one for a project and was wondering about placement of the sensor, or whatever it's called. It's a steel cab I hope!

Chris

15. robracer1

robracer1

I went through 3 junk Mexico Stewart Warner speedo's in 6 mounts, I now have Classic Instrument with no more problems.
    If you have to use Mexico made Steward Warner speedo's install with Velcro, makes It a lot easy to replace and replace and replace !

deucemac, caseywheels and Kiwi 4d like this.
  16. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

I have a Speedhut GPS speedo in my 28 steel roadster, never a glitch in 6000 miles. Except for the time the cover came off the GPS sender which I had stuck to the front crossmember. They sent me a new sender at no charge. I stuffed it under the dash, works fine. They can customize your gauge faces as well.
    Plus 1000 on new SW being junk and impossible tech support.

firstinsteele likes this.
  17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yes, very much a steel cab. with plenty of peel-n-seel insulating the roof doors and firewall. I now have the sensor under my steel dash as well. sometimes it takes a block or so to come to and start reading speeds. That's fine, I fought the last one for 3 years attempting to calibrate and moving it all over (even outside onto the hood) only to find out it was incompatable (so much for jegs listing it as universal fit)

18. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I have one from " SPEEDHUT" in my 29 PU, works great , sensor is magnetic , IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0523.JPG

19. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Intellitronix GPS Speedometer Senders S9020
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Click to Enlarge Image
    $109.97

This is the Summit unit I am using.
    KK

20. My Speedhut Speedo/Tach has been great for 12,000+.

Ben

21. jimdillon

jimdillon

I can also attest to Speedhut being very dependable. I have run them in two of my cars for over 4 years. I had a new light switch in my avatar car short out,which caused other issues and long story short the GPS quit working. I sent it back to them per their request and they repaired if for free. I had liked the GPS so well that I bought another for my avatar car and have the repaired one set for my next project. Prior to the Speedhut GPS I chased silly little issues with the off shore speedometer junk made for early Vettes and it was no fun climbing under my dash with regularity.

firstinsteele and lothiandon1940 like this.