Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods From stock to hot: Cragar ohv 31 model A Roadster build for Wallingford Noah

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Jan 22, 2018.

1. So I've got a pretty cool build about to start for a friend of mine @Wallingford Noah and wanted to post a couple teasers. It's a stock "restored" 31 model A roadster about to receive the hot rod treatment.

We've got a complete model A dropped front axle with wishbone i am assembling with nice 39 spindles and Juice brakes. Cragar ohv model B engine. A B transmission with NOS Lincoln gears and a T rear spring. We might put a 32 dash in it. We might put a 32 grill in it. We basically just want to build your basic early hot rod. No tricks or anything interesting. Just a basic early hot rod from a stock a. The basic plan is to make it so you can pull the fenders and the braces easily or run it with them. Leave the brown interior and top it has. Maybe 32 bumpers? One thing I know is it needs to be painted...I'm thinking we'll leave the fenders gloss black. Maybe paint the grill gloss black. Not sure about the rest of the body. Maybe flat black. Or green? Thinking about brush painting it...lots of ideas. Starting with decluttering it of the restorer crap.

20170901_184446.jpg 20170901_184626.jpg

I'll post some more tomorrow. Really excited and can't sleep.

chryslerfan55, Chucky, i420 and 4 others like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds absolutely fantastic...can wait front rows seats again...thanks @Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker likes this.
  3. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice to see this out from under the cover. Ir definitely follows the hot-rod adage "start with the best car you can find." The yellow roadster is in remarkable shape. Whereas, your blue one could be used to strain pasta--but it would look cooler doing it.

Kiwi 4d and Hitchhiker like this.
  4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Cool! Thanks for posting! Will be following this thread.

Hitchhiker likes this.

5. i420

i420

I’m currently doing a 28 pick up with a Miller/Cragar head. It’s a interesting engine [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

That is a really rare Cragar head. Those are called the "Improved Cragar" head & it's a crossflow design.

7. It's in the garage and getting wrenched on!

chryslerfan55, Stogy and ClarkH like this.
  8. Nice truck!

chryslerfan55 and i420 like this.
  9. Good to know! I don't know much about it to be honest.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

17EA8373-8432-40D4-88B1-C34DEBAF5DE8.jpeg
    Mine is a 1935 CRAGAR on a B engine. Current intake is a Weber 32/36. 59 HP at 3200 RPM the rear wheels on a chassis dyno.

11. i420

i420

winduptoy, Hitchhiker, woodz and 2 others like this.
  12. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

I hear the "RED" ones really leak oil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hitchhiker, i420 and ROCKER77 like this.
  13. i420

i420

Come on man. You told me that it would go faster.
    Tried to fire it up today. Tight. Charging the battery overnight...

Hitchhiker likes this.
  14. Everybody has a CRAGAR but me!!:(:(
    Looks like a fun project Matt

ROCKER77 likes this.
  15. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

If anyone has an extra cragar laying around that they just don't need, I could always use one. Although i could only pay you in hugs.

slv63 likes this.
  16. What's really gonna cook your noodle is that I have 2 more Cragar heads, a Riley 4 port, and I sold @ClarkH a 2 port Riley a few months ago...

Stogy, i420, ClarkH and 1 other person like this.
  17. I've removed the wind wings and bumper. I've stripped the firewall of all the junk and am currently painting it black. Pictures in a little bit...

Stogy and i420 like this.
  18. Ok you get the I suck award:p

19. Want to sell the wind wing brackets and rubber?

20. Just the brackets? Everything I'm not using is for sale.

21. Painted the firewall black. It's not perfect but it will do for what I'm planning. This car had some sub par body repairs at one point and I'm already wishing I fixed them. But I'm gonna leave them. They are structurally sound and the body can always be fixed later. No rust or anything bad. Just not up to todays standards.
    Im trying to load pictures from my phone. But only one is working. Basically the cowl feet are amateur repaired at best and it looks like it's had the firewall out at one point. It's got body putty all up in the seams.

I'm fearful of this becoming a case of the might as wells. I just want to throw the drive train at it and a little paint and away we go.... 20180129_144050.jpg

woodz, Stogy and ClarkH like this.
  22. belair

belair

Really cool build.

23. Yeah just
    Yeah just the brackets and rubbers. My speedster uses that style to hold the windshields on. I lost a windshield due to the bracket falling off. Kind of exciting when the windshield comes after you when you're bombing down the road at 65 mph:rolleyes:

24. 31Apickup

31Apickup

"This car had some sub par body repairs at one point and I'm already wishing I fixed them", yeah you mean the typical 70's amateur restoration stuff, I'm dealing with that kind of hack stuff now!

Neat build

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  26. i420

i420

From everything I know. Not much. That cover will only go on one way. I’ve heard that the older ones were upside down. I’m a screenprinter and understand printing. It’s baffling to me.

My father grew up in Southern California then Cape Cod. Always into Hot rodding. I found this in the back of a garage I’ve known for over forty years. Never knew that it was just sitting there in a crate wrapped up in plastic in a closet until after his passing.
    Everything else on the engine has proven to be original goodies.

27. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

That's a negative

28. How about now?

ROCKER77 likes this.
  29. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T