Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Red plastic fuel hose

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 46international, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Remember the old red plastic fuel hose? It had a reputation for getting hard and cracking, is the new stuff any better? or still crap?

2. R Pope

R Pope

Clear seems ok, haven't seen red in many years.

3. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Still crap, the red turns clearish, still cracks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Fire waiting to ruin your day.

5. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

My dad just bought some red for his roadster. Haven't hooked it up yet...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

46international likes this.
  6. Can't speak to the durability, but the red color seems to fade very quickly to a sickly orange. Guess it could be the ethanol content in the fuel.

7. town sedan

town sedan

The manufacturer is just building in incentive to keep replacing it with new still red fuel line. Good for sales and good for looks as long as it's kept fresh.
    -Dave

8. Seems like the stuff from back in the day was braided. The junk that I see now is just red tinted plastic with no braiding. Don't know if there is a source for the old style stuff.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Today's plastic fuel line (RED or CLEAR) will still get brittle, crack and leak.
    It's a fire hazard.

10. raven

raven

Funny you should bring this up. Over the weekend I was straightening up in my shop and found a roll of the Red braided hose hanging from one of the boards... Forgot I had it and couldn't remember what I got it for.
    r

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

12. lowrd

lowrd

One of my friends has a 51 Chev with the red fuel line. He routed it over metal fuel line instead of taking any chances with the brittle condition. It's been several years without any issues, and the lines don't sag or fade.

dwollam, Poh, olcurmdgeon and 4 others like this.
  13. I was ridding in a old strip down running a flatty with three deuces back in the late 60's and the red line split and sitting at a traffic light the cars engine burst into flames and with the car was a total loss. :( HRP

14. has anyone tried Tygon fuel line? i think it's available in several colors , but not red?

T Malone and 46international like this.
  15. badvolvo

badvolvo

I have the cheap red stuff from speedy on two cars for 3 years on one, 4 on the other. Both faded quickly, and got hard, but has not cracked or leaked. It will be replaced this year on both of them with some more durable line.
    I cant complain, it has worked well for me.
    BUT I agree, it's crap and a fire hazard.

16. Koz

Koz

I've had decent results with the braided red stuff from MOON. It seems to last well, is relatively colorfast and not that much more expensive. It does have the braid in and as such doesn't quite have that old look but it still looks cool to me. Last I checked it was still available.

17. Rattle rod

Rattle rod

I also have the red speedway lines. As a precaution, I replaced after 2 years. The lines had faded and hardened a bit. For what they are, they seemed ok(ish) and if you replace them regularly, they should be good. that being said, I'm looking to replace with metal lines....just trying to decide what to use. 20160525_162454.jpg

18. christmas tree

christmas tree

We ran that colored shit 50 yrs ago being stupid. By all means get some steel lines or the stainless steel over teflon.In the 50s and 60s we did a lot of dangerous stuff. Eliminate all rubber, plastic from the fuel system Please forgive spelling.

19. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  20. christmas tree

christmas tree

Rattle rod That looks good and brings back memories. Thats the way it was.

21. sounds good, I won't use it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I like the idea of covering the metal fuel line with the red stuff.

dwollam likes this.
  23. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

It's all still available on line and eBay (both plain and with webbing). Just enter Ruby Red Fuel Line. It looks period correct and I've used it for many years. For safety sake, I do replace it periodically because it hardens and changes color. I've never experienced cracking.

24. That would work and you could have peace of mind ! HRP

25. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

With the amount of time, money, work we put into our "toys" why would anyone take the chance of using any type of fuel lines that are not the safest and most durable available?
    To have a fuel line let go because it was made of materials that are known to fail is just plain dangerous!
    I guess I am overly cautious!
    KK

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    46international and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  26. I don't know where the red fuel line was made 60 years ago, but I guarantee you now it's made in China in a shack at the end of a dirt road by a guy that gets paid a bowl of rice once or twice a day, if that tells you anything about the quality.

I did an O/T build a few years back and used stainless braided hydraulic hose for the whole system, from the in-tank electric pump > regulator > fuel rail, etc. You can always find a hydraulic supply shop nearby and I've found the prices are much lower than speed shops and the selection and service is great. The hydraulic shop often does the cutting to size for free or for pennies and has all types of fittings they could crimp-on if you want to go that route. Or use regular hose clamps with those cosmetic end covers that look like fittings. I've also had hydraulic shops replace leaky A/C fittings with new stuff and saved hundreds of dollars over all new parts.

I actually think the braided line has a bit more sparkle than the plastic hose and doesn't take away from the "traditional look".

v8paul and 46international like this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Back in the day when I was young and dumb I used the red plastic fuel line because I didn't know any better. Now I know better and wouldn't use shit like that.

46international and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  28. This is Hoffman group. http://www.helixsuspension.com/

Different companies.

29. hudson48

hudson48

Had it on my roadster(3 x Rochesters) and same thing with fading and getting hard and brittle. Replaced with a nice black braided product. Feel safer now.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What an unfortunate coincidence. They should sue The Hoffman Group.