Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best sounding mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1955 F-100 guy, Jan 20, 2018.

1. What's a goat roper? Well I am not absolutely sure but I been to 3 county fairs and a goat ropin and aint never seen a thing like it. LOL

I am an odd duck or so I have been told, I have actually even been called a Bicho Raro which is the Mexican equivalent to an odd duck. I spend all my time making my engine sound good and just use whatever mufflers I happen to have on hand. Glass packs work well for me, they are cheap and easy to come by. I have come to the conclusion that the best sounding muffler is one behind a motor with enough compression and cam shaft to sound good.

2. My uncle made his own
    They were belt rollers from mining equipment
    Sounded awesome

3. 26Troadster

26Troadster

thrush red bullet glass packs, they sound a lot like the old tin cans.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Chicken dinner to p&b.
    Not to sound like a parrot but the best sounding muffler in the world won't sound as good as a mediocre muffler hooked to an engine with "a cam" and compression!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old topic, that is well exhausted! :cool:

One point to keep in mind, it aint so much the pipes, it's the player. When I was a lad in school I played 1st chair trumpet, a nice little Getzen Doc Severinsen model that I still own. Other kids would get the same horn but did not have the same result.

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. A big lot of the "sound " is the firing order. Way back I split the manifold on a 1940 Buick. Front five were dumping through the original muffler which was gutted. Back three were straight. Truthfully, I don't remember how it sounded. Brother, Jack, to this day, says it was the best he ever heard.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

8. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

X2 and i run sbc, sound great, even wife and kiddies like em

Elcohaulic likes this.
  9. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i think that it depends on the engine, car and where the mufflers are on the car and pipe size, my all time favorite is a 55-56 ford w/steel packs or glass packs , the old smithy's in the 50's were diff from today.

10. rosstom

rosstom

Magnaflow sounds good and flows well also.

11. indyjps

indyjps

Me too, walker owns dynomax, is distributed widely, youre local shop probably carries them, sound good. Many different size and sound levels. Really any quality turbo muffler will work, smaller = louder.

Cant do glass packs, on anything.

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I bought the little 62 Chevy II a year ago the PO decided to add a cherry bomb to the 194, why I cannot possibly tell you. Stupidest sounding car ever! First thing I had to fix.

My flatty runs Smitty's, ceramic coated cuz blue mufflers just aint gonna look right. Loud pipes save lives.
    upload_2018-1-23_14-22-55.png

lucky ink, Elcohaulic and dan31 like this.
  13. Deuces

Deuces

The company that made the Cherry Bomb mufflers used to use this motto...
    "Disturbing the peace since 1968"

Truck64 and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. XXL__

XXL__

The ones I have posted in Parts for Sale Classifieds right now. :D

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I modified a pair of these to fit the lakes headers on my A, it sounds great, I wouldn't want to change a thing about it. Loud enough to satisfy the desire to hear the exhaust tone, but not so loud as to bother the ears. After driving around about 9 months with no baffles at all I was ready to tone it down a little, these did the trick, reducing the exhaust volume about 10db (measured with a db meter, before & after). Instead of inline mufflers I would seriously consider installing these in the header collector, then run the pipes out the back, and enjoy the shit out of it.

16. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Cherry Bomb has a New Hot Rod muffler. Dad said it looks like a direct copy of the Thrush mufflers he used to run. Put them on my 32 with a 302 and I really dig the sound. All I ask is please GOD DON'T put FlowMasters on it. It will sound like a Foxbody Mustang.

17. Deuces

Deuces

Maybe with a 5.0L...
    But the 3 chamber versions sound wicked mounted to a Windsor...;)