Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trade for a station wagon almost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Jan 23, 2018.

1. View attachment 3782989 A guy had a late model station wagon he wanted to trade for the 56 Chrysler. I told him I wanted a car with no motor or trans problems{body work was O.K.}I am in Sevierville T N and this guy said the car was ready to go. He rented a trailer and towed it 4 hours from Nashville T.N. We met I took him for a ride in the 56 Chrysler and he loved it He said lets trade before you come to your senses. The car looked nice on the trailer. He got it off and it had heat and COLD A.C. and a ton of extra parts, but when he fired it up the motor was screaming. I said wont that idel down? He said it was some electrical thing that was $80. to replace. We took a ride but the whole time he had to keep his foot on the brakes. We got back to the parking lot and the motor was still screaming. After going back and forth for a half hour I said I was going to pass on the deal. He said just for an idel thing? I said I felt it was more than that and I didn't want to be digging in to the motor for an even trade. He said here a $100.you can buy the part I said no. He said wait here I will run across the street to Advance and get the part. Well he had the part put in there and brought the car back. It had ideled down. I said lets take it for spin around the block again. When we got back the motor was screaming again. After another half hour of him trying to make the trade{I am an easy going guy} I finally had to get rude and I am sorry no and I am leaving.P.S. the 2 rear windows didn't work and the window on the tail gate didn't work either.. He got in the wagon all pissed off screaming toward his trailer. I drove the 56 Chrysler to meet my wife for lunch. I said to my self boy this car sure feels better that that wagon. So now I will take my time and look for the right wagon. Thanks you all and take care. Bruce.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I get a chuckle out of ads that goes "Runs great, only needs a $50 part". Well if that is all it needed you would have done it already.

brad2v, slim38, hotrodharry2 and 5 others like this.
  3. You passed up a screamin' deal... wise move.

32Dan, dan31, slim38 and 10 others like this.
  4. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

^^^ Rimshot!

Bruce Fischer likes this.

5. Some people. :)

6. Slopok

Slopok

Deep down inside, you didn't really want a late model anyway!

brad2v, Bruce Fischer and czuch like this.
  7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

tb33anda3rd and Bruce Fischer like this.
  8. slowmotion

slowmotion

If it don't feel right, I walk everytime. Good for you Bruce.

hotrodharry2 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  9. I agree,just bide your time and the right wagon for you will come along. HRP

10. The Guy must have Worked for a Used Car Lot!
    and tryed to Convinced you That it ran Good
    Bruce Keep Looking for the Right one, You will find it.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

11. BJR

BJR

snow.jpg As always, follow your gut instinct. We didn't live this long because we were stupid. Good call Bruce.
    Woke up to this in St Paul MN this AM.

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You should sell, then buy exactly what you want.. Trades usually leave one participant happy, and one not so happy...

13. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

If it was an easy fix he would have done it before trying to trade.

14. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

The word is full of idiots, you met one.

15. I was fortunate with the trade Ron & I did,we both got what we wanted,but you are right,they don't always work out. HRP

16. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Easy Fix"

17. His wagon wouldn't make the trip from N'ville to Sevierville? You did the right thing. Let the next guy get burned on that wagon.

18. belair

belair

Hang tuff, Bruce. You done good. There's a deal out there. Warm weather will bring out the trades. Sin in haste, repent in leisure.

Bruce Fischer and czuch like this.
  19. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Don't you love it when people screw up, then scream at you ?
    Did you offer to trade if he threw in the tow rig ? That usually gets 'em going ...

Bruce Fischer and belair like this.
  20. philo426

philo426

That 56 Chrysler is really nice,do you really want to trade it?Might regret it!

21. I wish I could buy the Chrysler from you Bruce. I have always loved those cars. Only thing that holds me back is I vowed some time ago to only buy one if I sell one and I just can't bring myself to selling my '51 Hudson.

Sent from my A521L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Slopok, yes you are right. I took her food shopping and gassed her up this morning. I must of had 10 people stop and want to talk about her. Bruce.

Model T1 likes this.
  23. Philo, I might but everyone who knows me on here always knows I have always had station wagons. Thanks Bruce. HPIM0811.JPG

Model T1 likes this.
  24. Racer29. I don't blame you. I sold my Olds wagon 15 years ago and then I found it just sitting in a garage for 10 years. I bought it back again and swore I would never sell it till I saw the 56 Chrysler. BAD MOVE.LOL.I really like the Chrysler but REALLY miss my station wagons.I had them even before they became cool again. Bruce. 1956 buick special station wagon 002.jpg

Model T1 and dan31 like this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like he didn't want to fix that wagon in the first place or the things would have been fixed. That wagon sounds more like a mechanic's special than a straight across trade for a nice ride rig.
    Having had a 55 Buick as one of my favorite cars I ever owned I'd have to have a 55,56 or 57 Buick wagon myself. DocFile (6).jpg

26. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

I drove my duaghters car home after a trip through a puddle (a pond) and it was still accelerating on the highway. it was the IAC (idle air controller) and replacing it really was 50 bucks and took about 10 minutes. no idea why he wouldnt fix that before trying to trade you, thats a great mystery

27. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Sometimes Bruce the best deals are the ones we don't make! You did well keeping the Chrysler you know what you have. Don't make a hasty decision. Joe

bchctybob, Model T1 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DSIB.jpg

Just kidding buddy...:D...Hey maybe the suggestion of sell it and then go shopping sounds
    like a wise plan...but of course if the ultimate trade was to say hello you'll know.

I hope its vintage old like us...;)

29. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Good job on not falling in the moment. The adrenalin flowing and the thought of possibly owning a new ride makes it hard to walk away. It'll come to you when you least expect it. Hang in there.

Model T1 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  30. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

Keep looking and be patient,it took Danny a long time to get mine back on the road but it was worth the wait.

902.jpg