Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC experts need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomdeluxe, Jan 23, 2018.

1. kustomdeluxe

kustomdeluxe

Buddy has a early 283 that originally came with just crank pulley( no balancer)
    Is it ok to run later model damper or even 350 style damper(stock style or even fluidamper type)

2. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

You'll need to drill and tap the crank to keep the damper on as the original was a press/taper fit.

LOU WELLS and kustomdeluxe like this.
  3. golftech

golftech

just make sure you get a neutral balance damper

kustomdeluxe likes this.
  4. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

get the correct dampner for 283,

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Bear in mind that SBC engines have three (3) different timing pointer locations:-
    1. Pre '69 engines, TDC mark is 2° to the left of the keyway centre line;
    2. '69 and later, TDC mark is 10° to the left of the keyway centre line; and
    3. 1984-'95 engines, TDC is at 12 o'clock position on the damper.
    Maybe a 6" balancer rather than a larger 6 3/4" provided the crankshaft snout is the correct diameter. I believe that you'll need to drill the crankshaft snout for a retaining bolt and washer.

6. kustomdeluxe

kustomdeluxe

We have a couple.
    Just want to be sure which one to use.
    The later would make pulley selection a little easier

7. kustomdeluxe

kustomdeluxe

Excellent info mgtstumpy!
    Thank you

8. squirrel

squirrel

maybe it does have a damper, and you just think it's not a damper, because it's not nearly as thick as the dampers used on later, larger engines?

Pictures?

If it's the original damper, it looks a lot like it's just a pulley. But it's a damper. And it will work fine, as long as the rubber is still ok. That's iffy...might need to get it rebuilt.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. kustomdeluxe

kustomdeluxe

All the parts are at buddy's house otherwise i would take pics for verification.
    Ill see if i can pull some of the inter webs

10. It may not be a damper at all and more just a hub. That is what was on the 283 in my 39 ford. just a hub to bolt the pulley too. I will also be replacing it with a 6 inch balancer and appropriate timing cover for the timing tab once the block comes back from the machine shop.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

Most 283s before 62 did not have dampers if I remember right. They went to dampers on 327s because the extra stroke caused less journal over lap. Except for the timing mark any sbc damper except a 400 will work. I need to add Gen II dampers are different.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  12. not mine but this is what the straight hub looks like. it was on the early engines and I think only 265 and 283.

crank hub.png

LOU WELLS and olscrounger like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

they had some like this, too. You'll notice it's riveted together, and you might find a layer of rubber inside it.

265 damper.jpg

14. Good insurance, but may not be needed. If memory serves, the 55- 68 ? cranks did not have a bolt to secure the damper. This came later. So unless you get a 350 damper, you will not need to tap the crank. Not sure all dampers are press on, but a bolt does and a margin of safety.

15. kustomdeluxe

kustomdeluxe

Great info guys!

bp1971 likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

They never bolted them on in the 50s, but they did by the late 60s. With the small light dampers and single groove pulley it's usually not a problem, but when you add a heavy damper, and a couple extra pulley grooves, with a long water pump, then the bolt is really necessary.

17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I have a damper from a 67 283 that will work, it's yours if you want it just pay for the ride. I'll dig it out.

Pat

18. What are the thoughts on a heavier/larger damper (350 size) being used on the smaller engines 283, 327?

19. squirrel

squirrel

Probably won't hurt anything. The timing pointer won't fit right.

20. The timing pointer needs to be removed and an adjustable timing tab installed.

A large damper on a short stroke engine is just a resource hawg. The smallest damper that you can get away with is always your better option.

kustomdeluxe and bowie like this.
  21. Yea, I was thinking in terms of the larger one doing a better job of dampening the harmonics then the the early small ones. I recently assembled an early SJ 327. Rotating assembly has been balanced and I'm in the market for a damper for this motor.
    P/B says it's a resource hawg and I can see that point too. You think the weight and inertia will be more a drag then any benefit toward the smoothness.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I know this is a 283 thread but here is a shot of the NOS small journal steel crankshaft and balancer in my 350 hp 327 Nova engine. Crank was threaded.

20161215_184419.jpg

30tudor likes this.
  23. Fordors

Fordors

I think it was Smokey Yunick that commented about a big harmonic dampener being really necessary on a high RPM engine running at speed for a long time, like an oval track application.
    If I had the big hi-perf dampener I would use it just because I like the way they look, but I would not go out of my way to buy one if I didn’t have one. Plenty of 7000 RPM 301’s were built BITD with the old, plain hub or the small 283 dampener.

24. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

At just a glance it would seem true that smaller is better....but actual damper testing has shown that the larger the damper, the more power made. Worst offender was an all aluminum "racing hub", best in all tests was the large 8" diameter damper.

Reason is crank rotation is not smooth under power, as crank rotates, even under acceleration it flexes faster and slower under the 4 firing pulses per revolution. The larger damper limits the amount of advanced or retarded deflection the crank experiences and the result is increased power applied to the driveline instead of wasted bending the crank.

There's a reason the 302 Z-28 engine got the heavy 8" damper right from the factory....

If you search, there are several threads about this here at the HAMB

oldtymehiboy likes this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have watched Fluidamper and brand dampers snap the end off of crankshafts, on more than one occasion.

Just throwing that out there.

26. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

My 1967 327's crankshaft was NOT threaded. And it came loose. Tap and thread the crank.

30tudor and kustomdeluxe like this.
  27. kustomdeluxe

kustomdeluxe

Thanks for the offer! But we have a few already. Just verifying which styles are appropriate.

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Drill and tap.
    I can't stress this enough either, if you do this without a lathe you better come up with some sort of alignment sleeve with a pilot hole that registers on the crank snout, don't just start a drill in the existing center, its nearly impossible to get it straight this way.
    Predrill with a 3/16" drill bit first, then tap drill, chamfer and tap with a (sharp) tap.
    Make sure to back the tap out and blow out with air a few times during the process and use plenty of tapping oil. Blow out the threaded hole when finished.
    Jegs and Summit sell a combo bolt and heavy washer set, use a lock washer also.

oldtymehiboy likes this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon