Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Chasing Big Daddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Jan 21, 2018.

1. 5window

5window

2. I met Big Daddy in Charleston, WV at the Rod Run & Doo Wop in 2015 where he signed my Chrondek "Christmas tree" displayed in Racer Row. He was cordial with everyone at the show. Interesting guy!

Chrondek 3.jpg RR&DW tree pic 2.jpg

3. 5window

5window

Jim, that is amazingly cool! Any chance you still have the drawings/plans lying about?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I crewed for Big Daddy back in 08 at KCIR.

loudbang likes this.

5. das858

das858

I saw Big Daddy run at my first drag race in 1969 at KCIR . Also saw him win at Indy in '78 , '84, and '85. My all time favorite top fuel racer.

loudbang and LOST ANGEL like this.
  6. Road & Track mag has piece on DG this issue,,,,FWIW

loudbang likes this.
  7. Don Garlits is the best to have ever done it

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Deuces

Deuces

SAM_8891.266144021_std.JPG
    Yeah, buddy!!!!!!:)

loudbang and LOST ANGEL like this.

9. Hey Jeff,

I'm sure that I can find my plans, measurements, etc. A buddy and I spent countless hours researching the original patent files to obtain the proper construction materials and lettering font. The only thing we changed was the addition of a PLC mounted internally to control the proper "count-down" flash of the lamps. We built two of the "trees" while we were at it. He keeps one in his garage and the one pictured is on display in The Hot Rod Grille Garage. Hopefully, you will get to stop by the garage this summer.

Jim

Tree in garage 1.jpg tree in garage 3.jpg

10. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

1959 my buddie and i were at drags in sepring fl, were looking at dons unblown dgstr, he and his wife and ed garlets wanted to go to lunch and they asked us if we would watch the car while they were gone. i took a pix that day, i took it up to the billet proof sho at dons and gave it to him, he remembered the day and told me that this was befor they went to california and put the blower on... he's amazing.. used to see him run around fl. strips befor he was famos, asked if brother had run a linc v-12 dgst in 50's, he said no that that car was [i can't rember who he said], remembered like yesterday.

loudbang likes this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I met Don G when he went into the Bonneville 200 MPH club driving Streamliner powered by a flathead in 1988 at 217. He drove the same liner Don Kehr drove to a record speed of 213 a few days earlier. Both Dons are class acts....

loudbang likes this.
  12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

A local guy used to talk about how tight him and don were and how he used to help him when he first started out and that Don would call him at least once a month. Well we believed him about as much as if he had said he went to the moon.

Don came to mo_kan dragway and our buddy was saying don and his wife were staying at his house, again another moon flight. But low and behold a week later he walks in with pics his wife took of him and don sitting watching late nite t.v. in his house and a couple pics of them sitting at the kitchen table drinking beer and playing poker and laughing. Owed him an apology.

kidcampbell71, loudbang and 5window like this.
  13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It might be Art Malone, but I'm pretty sure that is Big Daddy blazing the hides in my avatar.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  14. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Several years ago, my Dad & I were walking the pits at the Winter Nationals in Pomona. My Dad had an old magazine from the mid-sixties he asked Don to autograph. Don complained for a couple of seconds about how it was difficult to read the print in the old magazine because of detached retinas in his eyes. Then he went on to explain to us how bad the G-forces are when pulling the shute. He said you'd think the forces are bad enough when the light turns green, but they're considerably worse trying to slow down. I had never heard such a thing. But, there it was straight from the mouth of a Legend.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.