Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The ALTERED thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 3, 2016.

1. rooman

rooman

Glad to see that it is all Mopar

Roo

2. Jamoke

Jamoke

No other way !

loudbang likes this.
  3. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

just curious, why the headlights? i know some strips are pretty dark at top end.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Jamoke

Jamoke

This is also a street car

loudbang likes this.
  5. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

I'll bet you really scare the shit out of them prius owners when you come up beside them at a light.

loudbang and Jamoke like this.
  6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Hey, Gary, where ya been?

loudbang likes this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

1.JPG

2.JPG

Cheever Ferreira

cheever ferreira  check.JPG

FE powered

fe.JPG

8. rooman

rooman

9. loudbang

loudbang

Pure Hell Chevy days

pure hell.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

10. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    This is an early version of Joe Rhode's altered with his buddy (and helper/machinist) Jerry Capps at the wheel, most likely not long after the car's debut in 1963. The "Help Promote Street Racing" lettering was soon removed at the request of officials at US 30 Dragway. Later in its life with a 3" chop", a modified frame, pistons and a roller cam the car ran 11.06/125 mph. Still later the engine had an overhead cam conversion and the car ran 9.25 at 146 mph in a new purpose built frame utilizing the same body. Joe sold the car to Ron Sokol who ran it with a conventional injected small block and later sold the OHC motor to Sokol as well. Ron's original involvement was in painting the coupe.
    Joe is currently a member of the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) and is currently building a Van's Aircraft RV 12 airplane

Roo

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  11. loudbang

loudbang

12. rudestude

rudestude

Some random shots from some magazine's I was flipping through today...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Don't know where this one fall's....[​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. rudestude

rudestude

14. rudestude

rudestude

15. loudbang

loudbang

From Bangkok Dean

Red Baron running altered
    dean gas alt.jpg

posted by keef59 in the vintage thread

Harris Chassis

keef59 vintage1.jpg

Road Rebels

keef59 vintage2.jpg

keef59 vintage3.jpg

16. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    loudbang, this is the uncropped version of the photo that you posted on December 11 of last year and my comments still apply.
    "In the near lane, Jim Nelson in the Oilers car club entry at Paradise Mesa. The uncropped version of this shot shows more of the markings on the airport runway. Nelson was one of the founders (and first president of the club which dated to November 1947) and after managing Masters Automotive went on to race with and later build dragsters under the Dragmaster banner with Dode Martin.

Roo

17. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    From the Petersen archives, an Eric Rickman shot from Lake City Florida from 1955 when Rickman was travelling with the NHRA Drag (later Safety) Safari team.
    Here is the caption that accompanied the photo in Hot Rod Deluxe's story by Dave Wallace.
    "Not To Be Outdone By That Garlits Guy, Frank Wertz Pulled Off The First NHRA "double" That We've Noticed In Old Magazines. The Merc Powered Coupe Prevailed In A/Altered At 93.26 Mph While Its Tow Vehicle, An 81 Mph ’51 Mercury, Was Winning D/Gas. Honorable Mention Goes To The North Florida Roadster Club's Acrobatic Starter, Who Leapt Like This In Frame After Frame Of Rickman's Florida Film."

Roo

18. roo im amazed by your knowledge of these old cars. these race cars have stories to tell. its nice to hear some of them. its also nice to get the correct facts and stats on them. I also find interest in your posts about the cars from down under.

Gammz likes this.
  19. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    The first of the Heidelberg Speed Shop entries from Dale Hoffman and Glenn Collins.
    Some background from the late Billy "The Kid" Scott courtesy of Bill Pratt's excellent Draglist.com site:
    "There never was a Heidelberg Speed Shop. Two guys, Dale Hoffman and Glen Collins, were in the army stationed in Germany and they used to drink a lot of beer. And their favorite was Heidelberg Beer. They started out in racing with a coupe and they built the roadster. On the side of the car, they put Heidelberg Speed Shop. Also in the garage where they kept the car they had the full length of one whole side stacked to the roof with nothing but beer cans. Must have been 10,000 beer cans. By then, they had switched to Coors and Bud.

Last year I didn't have a sponsor on our fuel Lakester so I put Heidelberg Speed Shop on the side. Because things are like they are now I had to go down and file a DBA as Heidelberg! So there is actually a Heidelberg Speed Shop, but only on paper!"

Roo

20. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Not too sure on the history of the Fiat but I do know that Harold "Bus" Schaller designed a quarter speed camshaft that had dual lobes for each valve as it turned at half the speed of a conventional unit (relative to the crankshaft). He debuted the cam in 1962 so this photo must date from some time after that.

Roo

21. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

22. loudbang

loudbang

23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Roo, If you ever make up Heidelberg Tee shirts I'll buy one, especially if it has an iron cross in the design. And a pocket for my tri-focals.

24. bchctybob

bchctybob

Rooman; Don't ya just love reading the lists of class winners in old magazines? The names that show up year after year in different cars and classes sometimes leaves a trail to help follow their their careers. It's always good to see names that are still in the scene today.
    The little white Bantam roadster #51, is that the Bacilek and Wilcox altered?

25. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

loudbang likes this.
  26. rudestude

rudestude

27. loudbang

loudbang

28. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Hey Loudbang, what in the hell am I lookin' at here?

[​IMG]

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like a cross ram to me.

30. '30-'31 Plymouth 3 window coupe. Any info on it?

Hotdoggin DaddyO and loudbang like this.