Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A few questions about a Rams Head planishing hammer.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deadelvis2000, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

IMG_3372.JPG I recently acquired a neat old Rams head planishing hammer that was rusty and frozen up. With some patience and persistence I was able to free it up and get it disassembled. The thing a really like about this hammer is its simplicity with only 2 moving parts in the main cylinder (besides the top die). There are a few things that I am unsure about and I'm wondering if anyone can help me answer a few questions.

First. There was no gasket between the main cylinder and the top cap however all of the exhaust holes lined up nicely. The cap has 16 threads per inch which means it drops .063 per one revolution. This makes me think that a 1/16" brass or copper washer is missing.
    I have found examples of a different model with the side exhaust that has a copper or brass washer but can find no pictures of my style hammer (Model C). Anyone have any insight??

Second. I found no o-rings inside the cylinder or on the piston although it seems that the "T" shaped piston has a machined slot that seemed like one could possibly be installed.
    Anyone know if I am missing anything before I button this thing up and start hitting some metal?

Thanks in advance

2. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

3. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

Up for the day crowd....

4. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

yeah so you are missing a few parts. There is a brass bell and retaining spring that go on the lower threaded area. I admittedly haven't pulled the cap off, but I wouldn't be worried about the lack of seals or o rings. None of my CP's have anything there. Heres a few pictures of my rams head that might help you. I find the bells are very helpful in stabilizing the hammer during use.
    IMG_6958.JPG Cast Bell purchased off ebay. Needed a little machine work to fit my older generation rams head.

bell2.JPG
    This is the brass bell, one side is cut. This was a factory optional bell to get to panel edges.

IMG_6707.JPG IMG_6711.JPG
    Lower adapter I made to use CP lower dies, because I owned a full set already.
    IMG_6713.JPG
    I somehow got all the hoops with mine too.

5. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

BAEB0D01-BF5A-40C7-BB93-191830D6861A.jpeg

Wow Thanks Toreadorxlt! I fortunately do have the bell and the threaded holder minus the spring steel retainer.

So if you look between the main body and top cap....no gasket?? That’s all I need to know.

6. oj

oj

Kent White restores the Rams Head, he'll have parts etc. They really are sweet machines. Hoosier Profiles can make the original die sets.

7. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for the lead Oj. Do you have any contact information for Kent??

8. oj

oj

9. oj

oj

Don't mean to hijack, but is there a compression spring in that hammer? Very nice job making it.

10. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

Thanks oj. There is no compression spring that I can find. I’m wondering myself how the die returns besides the little set dowel that holds the lower die from popping out. The patents show a return spring like an air chisel but must not have made the final design.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018