Register now to get rid of these ads!

deleting posts

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by ozzies 57, Jan 21, 2018.

1. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

deleting posts when people are trying to restore a vehicle, because Swaps are "off topic" is F'n stupid.
    I was trying to I.D. the camaro clip someone put into my 46 pontiac so I could restore it and it's deleted? I am sure your police will be all over this one too.
    this site used to be a great source of info. now everyone is pigeoned holed. its not like I was asking about how to restore a camaro.
    this is a site of great knowledge and you withhold information to people who are trying to keep the culture going by being regulated by haters. lighten up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2018
  2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Rules is rules

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  3. I've had Camaro clips under several of my cars including a 48 Pontiac and I love the way they handle and brake but.....this site is for traditional cars/trucks only....as they would be built before 1965. They just don't fit here same as S-10 frame swaps, old trucks on C-10 4X4 swaps etc etc...

4. Try Hotrodders.com... they don't have hyperanals running the site.

iwanaflattie likes this.

5. belair

belair

And yet one of the definitive Camero/TF truck swap threads was posted many moons ago by Lux Blue. It don't have to make sense to be true.

F&J likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

pm sent

F&J likes this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Do you know what car that is in Lux's avatar? Always wondered..

[​IMG]

F&J likes this.
  8. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

you mean before 1966.right?

9. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Jack Dimars Lil Screamer II

blowby, loudbang and F&J like this.
  10. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Ozzies 57, you bring up a sore subject

Doctorterry likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

December 31 1965 and older.

There are exceptions which the leniency is in the Moderators and Staffs opinions.

Swaps are not off topic if they are period specific...You have to choose your words wisely.

If anyone posts OT material you and or anyone are basically at the mercy of so to speak...

I like to play it safe and clips and many other things are mentioned in the rules and OP you have been around long enough to have seen what can become of OT threads so why bother.

I clipped a 39 Chev same as your 46 and have pics I've never shared here because it's OT...no bigs.

You don't want to restore the 46 back to a 46 but a 68 Camaro clip to a 68 Camaro clip thats OT because the subject is a 68 Camaro (Assumed year for discussion)

Anybody that pushes the post button knows their subject material either meets or doesn't meet the guidelines. So push knowing if you do and it gets deleted oh well...no surprise and you can't make OT on topic ever.

Sometimes we have to rely on other avenues to discuss OT material and I'm okay with it as it is not the focus here.

The other thing it is best to respect the hard work the Team Jalopy Journal does to keep the vintage dream alive by keeping the OT stuff just that...off the Hamb. I respect their decisions.

Camaro clips are not Hamb Friendly so discussion of them is not relevant here.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    town sedan and harpo1313 like this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A brief history on how I became "hyperanal":

Back in the day, there were just a few thousand of us... and it didn't really matter all that much if some guy wanted to talk about clipping a car or needed some EFI help or whatever. Those posts were kind of sidebars that were just as easily ignored as they were consumed.

And then, we had explosive growth. I think all of those silly reality shows and the introduction of what someone recently called "hot rod heroes" kind of grabbed traction and the next thing we knew, we had multiple thousands of users. And with all those new users came a lot more topics that were just really far away from what this place was all about - traditional hot rods and customs.

It wasn't long before moderators were fielding tons of complaints about "the state of the HAMB" and how we had lost our traditional values and... In a lot of ways, those guys were right. I mean, I don't have anything against folks that are into street rods... but ultimately, street rods aren't what hold my interest... and ultimately, the HAMB has never been focused on them - intentionally anyway.

But yeah, there are tons of clip threads on the HAMB. There are also probably a good number of EFI threads and Jag rearend threads and... all kinds of other stuff that doesn't really fit the mold. They got here before we were really kind of forced to refocus on our passion years ago.

But you can call me names and you can rag on the HAMB if it makes you feel better. I'm cool with that. It doesn't bother me. I hold nothing against you for it. Just know that our editorial decisions aren't personal. And that we are doing what we are doing for the passion of traditional hot rodding and not with the goal singling anyone out or ragging on what they enjoy.

At the end of the day, the HAMB isn't for everyone. It's for really passionate hyperanals I guess...

dwollam, Sancho, Fern 54 and 13 others like this.
  13. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

I agree with all of you. Honestly it just blows when you need a question answered and you know thay hundreds of peole here can help. Which is the whole point, I thought, of a forum people helping people. I appreciate the h.a.m.b. 98% of the time. Please don't ever use the words "passionate hyperanal" together again though.

ClayMart likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can always PM Squirrel, or me, and a couple of other guys here.

A bunch of us work on all manner of things that don't fly here.

We can always talk about it in personal messages.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  15. This is so strange.....And I've posted the same thoughts before on this subject...

Here we have a forum to have everybody on earth allowed to post their questions or to brag about what they have done to bring an old car or truck back to life; to enjoy their work and share with others with the same or similar interests; to seek help when there seems to be a stone wall in front of them and need some help to get their ride "just right"......or even to post a discovery or some "tip and trick" that solved a problem that the OP may have run across.

I fully understand, and love the fact that "old cars" are the general focus of this forum.. I have posted many subjects on this board and have learned an encyclopedia's worth of information, leads on where to get things, vendor's contacts, and a truckload of information that helped me with completing "The Judge". Nowhere else is some of this information available, even though I've read many suggestions from "some folks" to go elsewhere else if you want to talk about a certain subject, such as details of rebuilding a 700R4, etc.

Why is it that "some folks" detest the fact that a member/builder who chooses to replace his old drum brakes to disks or to replace his or her suspension system to make their car handle better or safer be purged from this site, when other members could and WANT to help them out with some technical guidance to achieve a desired goal?

I would be the first to flag somebody's post that starts to discuss or ask about what to do with a 1975 F150 engine or even questions about interior or door locks... THAT makes sense.

But you have to ask yourself. What percentage of us bring back from the grave, an old car, to bring it back to life for the enjoyment of his or her family, who intends to build something that he or she can jump into and take off on a long trip without worrying about it crapping out on them - by adding modern features to make it a real pleasure to drive? Why would some fella who has a 1950 Chevy, who wants to make it road worthy, who would rather have air conditioning, power steering, automatic transmission, or suspension upgrade be kicked around because he simply seeks some help from his willing, interested fellow hot rodders?

Who the hell CARES whether he's got an S-10 front clip installed? UUUUUUhhh, but there is the suggestion that if you've been successful in doing the HAARD work to install a new front clip "Just don't mention it".. WHAT kind of childish recommendation is that? Are we grown ups or are petulant children? Who give a RATS about that?

WHY waste your time combing through the posts searching for "forbidden words".... THAT is just CRAZY..

I've read some's opinion that anything OT "clutters up" the site. THAT is ridiculous, and a silly excuse, and everybody knows it ! As I scroll through the new posts, anything that I have no interest in, or that I can't help or comment on... I just skip over it. I do the same on a couple of other boards I'm on, and I can't imagine clicking on every post looking for something that pisses me off...

Why cant' "the rules" simply be "THE CAR or THE TRUCK has to have been manufactured before December 31 1965". Who GIVES a dang about what he or she is doing to it? Take the chains off.

The behavior of the "moderators" seems to be more that of a "control freak" than a person who wants to allow members to learn, teach, grow, solve problems, etc., which should be objective of a mature forum manager.

quick85 likes this.
  16. Oh by the way, I forgot to mention that on my website, I have installed a "statcounter" which shows me the source of the person's visit to my site, which subjects are viewed, how long they were at each subject, etc., and I have had THOUSANDS of view that originated at "The H.A.M.B.". I suspect that I've helped more than hundreds of guys or gals who are building/rebuilding/installing such things as Jag Rear Ends, 700R4 Transmissions, Installing Bear Claw Latches, Painting with Lacquer, Installing an S-10 clip, Repairing an old car clock, building a 383 SBC Stroker, adjusting Jag rear end ride height, installing electric fans and controls, installing cruise control, how to replace, install Shoe Box window glass, including electric windows, installing a killer sound system, the do's and don'ts with putting '51 hood and trunk lid hinges into a '49 shoebox,, adding vacuum assist for power brakes when you have a "loppy cam", fighting and solving vapor lock, how to do "chemical derusting" of parts, etc., etc.........but you folks don't want anybody to learn anything from the hard work I've done and my (and hundreds of other guys) to benefit from what I've learned and am GLAD to share with anybody who may be interested....But "somebody' wants to deny others the help that they may get ..........

17. town sedan

town sedan

Thank you Ryan for giving us the HAMB. Thank you for "control freak" moderators too. I report an occasional pony car in the classifieds because I know if one gets in two more will follow. When younger I thought all was good, now that I'm a young grey beard I couldn't care less about late model frame swaps, engines or transmissions that must have electronics to run etc. etc.
    With the strange turns life can bring I'm now in a position to finally put together a teenage dream of mine. A buggy sprung hot rod. No LS-whatever, no independent suspension, maybe an electric fuel pump but no EFI! And, since my new old '32 frame has a '50 flathead it will be powered with obsolete Dearborn motivation. Okay, there will be a Brookville body, but I've never been good with rust repair. Point is, I and most others love this place. Thank you Ryan!
    -Dave

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't even. I mean, I don't know how you would jump to that conclusion.

Again, our editorial decisions aren't personal. I don't think you are some kind of a shit bag because you put an IFS and a 700R4 in your car. Not in the least.

What I'm failing to get across to you is that our target audience is the guy that has a passion for traditional hot rods - cars that drive like old cars. Cars that are mechanical. Cars that are built the way our forefathers built them. Those are the cars that I'm truly passionate about and people with like minds are who I am trying to cater to.

This is a business. Yes. But this is a business built around passion and not the bottom line. If I were trying to make a huge amount of money, I'd make this place appealing to the largest possible audience I could. I don't because I'm not.

A few years ago, we had gotten lax on our moderation of posts that strayed away from the traditional. As a result, we literally fielded hundreds of complaints per week about it. Around the same time, I was at an event and ran into the perfect model-a roadster. While talking to the owner, he mentioned that he had browsed the HAMB and saw more street rod threads than threads about setting up a quickchange or setting toe-in on a dropped axle car. As a result, he moved on.

That bummed me out... Because guys like him are the guys that I want to cater to. Those are the guys that I want to learn from. Those are the guys that I built this place for.

So, I'm not at all trying to beat down a different viewpoint. I'm not at all bagging on other genres of hot rodding. That's not my goal at all... Instead, my goal is to build up the genre that I'm most passionate about. And maybe that's selfish somehow, but it is my site... and I have to run this joint and answer to the people that really built this joint.

If you don't get it, that's cool... but don't bag on those that do or call me "hyperanal" and what not. That's just sort of ridiculous. Instead, move on and find a forum that targets your passion. At the end of the day, it's just a message board if you aren't truly invested like a whole shit ton of us are.

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It never ceases to amaze me, that some people just can't grasp the concept. Viva la HAMB!

21. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

22. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

MAGA! making hamb great again....

23. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan, all you can do is what you have always done, take the high road. Unfortunately, not everyone will understand or appreciate it.

-Abone.

Doctorterry and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. Strange that a response from a "sympathetic" Hamber has been deleted/no longer shows up... anybody ever heard of the first amendment ?

25. Brings up a question.. how many other "positive" responses have been whacked? PM me instead.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The First Amendment does not apply here.

The Constitutionally enumerated right to freedom of speech ONLY pertains to what the government can, or cannot do to citizens.

Since neither the board owner, nor the moderators are acting in the capacity of an agent of the state, and this board is not sponsored by, or funded by the government, they can do whatever they like.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We didn’t delete anything. The guy deleted his own post. Geesh...

And I think it’s time for you to find another forum. It’s obviously not working out here. Good luck to you and maybe I’ll see you around.

The internet drama thing just isn't my thing man.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    mgtstumpy, Doctorterry, ls1yj and 6 others like this.
  28. I find it ridiculous that Ryan has to come on here almost once each month to explain what is obvious to anyone that is paying attention at all.

29. Please,get serious! I have had a hundred or more threads deleted since I join,we don't always stay focused but I honestly believe Ryan & the moderators try their best to keep all members focused and on topic and in doing so someone is going to feel like the moderators have wizzed in their corn flakes,It's a web site with a specific focus based on a era of cars.

There are a lot of web sites that have a broader scope and with members like Jim,Ginpyshot rods offering help all this hate & discontent isn't necessary.

With 1,094,268 members everybody ain't gonna be happy all the time.

What it boils down to,the Hamb is Ryan's creation and he allows us to play here and he makes the rules. HRP

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  30. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy shit, we broke a million? I missed it completely. Did we have a party or anything???

-Abone.