Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flogged out Ford wheel bolt holes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stev8, Jan 20, 2018.

1. stev8

stev8

Hi, I am hopeing that someone here can help me. My car 39 Pick up has Customline wheels on it, and I am guessing that due to over tightning of the wheels over many many years, the wheel stud holes have enlarged so that the standard types wheel nuts could be running the possibility of "pulling" through the holes. And then, of course, the wheel would fall off at speed which would, in turn, eventually scratch my paint!!
    I have heard that you can buy larger outside diameter wheel nuts that still retain the 1/2 " thread in the middle. Does anyone know where from?
    Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Check out your roundy round racing venders, back in the day we put them on our street stock cars.Bones

4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Linked above. It's not the best fix for your issue. Either replace the wheels or rebuilding the lug holes would be much better. You've lost the conical seat for the nut. Just asking for problems.
    SPark

5. I found conical steel washers to repair egged-out holes from Mac's auto parts. They're cheap!

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Replace the wheels with a good ones. Even if you or some one was willing to tediously try to weld and machine each tapered hole, making certain the machining was indexed accurately would take great care.

Ray

7. stev8

stev8

Thanks, But I couldnt find them on their website so what do I look for? What year and make of vehicle, (Yes, I know that washers are universal but their website searches by year and make). Or if I email, what do I ask for?

8. dan31

dan31

Summit racing "gorilla lug nut washers part #79970. $ 4.95 each. May need to use their lug nuts also-don't know

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

In the past I would have went the cheap route and just used bigger nuts or washers myself. Now, older and hopefully a bit wiser, I think I would throw those wheels away and replace them. If they are worn so bad that the lug holes are worn out, the beads probably are too, and the centers are probably weak. Wheels are relatively cheap {unless you are talking about some rare Halibrands or something like that}, when compared to wrecking or causing a wreck because a wheel came off or broke. The few dollars saved may cost thousands in return....

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You need to do what a customer of the shop I work at did,just put washers behind the lug nuts No seriously its time to replace the rim.

11. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Stev8, help us help you - any reason why you must hang on to your Customline wheels? Is it a nostalgic reason for the wheels you have, or a cost issue? If the answer is no, then please, for the sake of your paint, getting new wheels is hands-down the best solution....

12. Someone on Ebay has them for sale. Just search 32 Ford parts and you will see them among other stuff they sell.

13. For the sake of your paint, your safety, and the safety of all those sharing the road with you, replace the wheels. If you end up loosing a wheel there is no cost factor or element of nostalgia that will make up for the end result.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. Unless these are big buck wheels
    I would either toss them or see if you can get the bolt holes welded up and machined

Washers, larger lug nuts , tapered lug nuts etc.... are ok but there are to many variables to get them to work right

Kind of like unilug wheels , they work but lots of failures at speed due to a number of things not going right.

Are the wheels hub centric or only held in place by the lug nuts?
    If it’s the latter , stay away from any quick fix

Hnstray likes this.
  15. oldolds

oldolds

What is the size of the hex on the lug nuts you are using now? On 1/2" studs Ford usually used 13/16" hex. Mopar usually used 3/4" hexwith 1/2" studs. If you are using 3/4" hex lug nuts on Ford wheels they will appear to be pulling thru. I think the diameter of the hole is a bit larger on Ford wheels compared to Mopar.
    If your holes are worn out you must be careful that the nuts are tightening on the wheel. The taper of the nut could go thru the wheel and bottom out on the drum and not tighten the wheel.

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

17. doug warren

doug warren

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

One ton Ford vans have a larger nut for the normal stud size.