Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***January 2018 Banger Meet - Happy New Year!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

HRP

YOU CAN ALWAYS RUN NITRO.... THEN YOU GET POWER WITHOUT MOST OF THIS OTHER STUFF

MANY PEOPLE HERE RUN BANGERS AS A MATTER OF NOSTAGIA.

I RECALL ONE FRIEND HERE THAT SPENT A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY BUILDING HIS BANGER AND THEN ASKED ME ''WHY DID YOU LET ME DO THIS??! IT OVERHEATS, HAS NO POWER, THE GEARBOX RATIOS ARE SHIT, AND THE CAR HANDLES LIKE A THREE-LEGGED CHICKEN!!!"

SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY WE ALL GO TO ALL THE TROUBLE, COST, EFFORT TO MAKE AN ANTIQUE ENGINE OR EVEN OLD CAR DRIVABLE.

IT'S NOT ABOUT SPEED BUT RATHER STYLE. EVERYTIME I SEE A GUY DRIVE INTO A MEET WITH ONE OF THESE I THINK "SHIT! YOU MADE IT HERE!!!!"

THINK "STYLE" DANNY ...... LOOKING COOL IS "COOL"

I RUN WITHOUT THE HOOD SO PEOPLE CAN SEE HOW MUCH WORK, STUDY, SEARCH IT WAS..... WHEN PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT THE MISSING CHUNK OF BODY I SAY
    " I HAD A HOOD ... A NICE ONE, BUT I TRADED IT FOR THESE WHITE-WALL TIRES!!...AREN'T THEY COOL?? MANY SHAKE THEIR HEADS BUT A FEW UNDERSTAND.

AS YOUR DRIVING ONE THESE YOU CAN ALWAYS CONSIDER "WONDER WHO IS GOING TO PLAY ME IN THE MOVIE??" :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Andrew Mccann, Jet96, G Baese and 4 others like this.
  2. IMG_2180.JPG IMG_2178.JPG A re-creation of bill burkes first tank. But with a banger.. hope you guys enjoy...

Weeks46, Dannerr, autohans and 11 others like this.
  3. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Man, that is nice.

4. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

And more common here in the US

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I NEVER BROUGHT A VOLVO GEARBOX OUTSIDE THE US.
    AND THEY ARE CHEAPER AND RARER IN EUROPE THAN IN THE US

STEVE:)

WHEN DID "LESS HASSLE" BECOME PART OF HOT RODDING?

HONEST.

barrnone50 likes this.
  6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

well I'm not sure , but there are tricks to everything

barrnone50 likes this.
  7. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

VF4-- Has there ever been a dyno test of Jim's head VS the Winfield "crows foot"?
    Jim copied the HD combustion chamber as best he could, without the benefit of being able to cut the contour in the deck surface. I think that the HD might have lit 'lit up' at way past the normal flat head banger RPM. I had a HD K model with the KK kit installed. It was a ball to ride, but my memory says that all of a sudden the power came on a 5.5 or 6 K
    Herb

Old Dawg likes this.
  8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

herb , I do not know . I know jim does great work . sorry not much help

I'm running a lion3 & really like it for daily driver .

9. Thanks for the reassurance,I can drive my old deuce sedan anywhere and I'm sure after I make the deal on the coupe and drive it a while I will get use to it. HRP

10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Welcome to the banger world!

Sent from my P7100 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. blgitn

blgitn

Old Dawg likes this.
  12. blgitn

blgitn

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

these little bangers are quit the little engine . it seems like an addiction . get it to look like you see it , getting a little more HP is a challenge on a budget , and using it as your daily car . I was lucky & worked the drive train where I wanted it before money got tight . but thru the years it has served me well . I enjoy working on it as much as driving it , and as a daily I stay on top of it ....................... just satisfying enjoyment to me .

Dannerr likes this.
  14. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider
    from Australia

G'day Fellow Bangers,
    Need some help on A Model oiling system if someone can help.
    Fixed a stuck valve for lady club member and when fired it up had tapping noise in valve chamber.
    Decided to cut top half off a valve cover plate and watch what happens.
    Surprised to see that it took a long time to get oil into 2nd and 3rd chambers to oil the mains via tubes. Front chamber filled but then oil fell into timing gear area via the casting hole and only dribbled over the wall into 2nd chamber, as well as splashing back from timing gear.
    So, the question I can't find an answer written anywhere is, how long should the oiling system take to get oil into the 2nd and 3rd chambers to ensure oil is getting to main bearing tubes.
    Is there any other way to check if oil is pumping at proper levels with an enclosed engine.
    Have some video but it's 80mb, so don't think I can load it here.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    David

15. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

David, put the video on youtube and post the link here if you can.

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

if this is a stock model "A" , they have very little oil pressure . I think pulling the pan & checking/cleaning the oil pump would be a good idea . also how long since oil was changed . good luck

17. Davey Mac

Davey Mac

Holy Moly, I thought I was on my own getting my banger banging. You guys are awesome...

18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

never alone here

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

FRIEND OF THOSE THAT WANT NO FRIENDS:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Crazydaddyo likes this.
  20. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

V4--I didn't mean in any way to criticize Jim B's work. I know that he is a source for great cams, and a easy guy to talk with.

Herb

21. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Herb- I have never had the power come on suddenly at 6K on my flat head banger!!

22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

herb , all is good . never took it that way .

steve , how many times have you had it to 6k ?

23. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

He's talking about elevation!!!

Jet96 likes this.
  24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

well that's not fair

25. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider
    from Australia

Thanks V4F, all new oil and always serviced. Trying to avoid pulling further apart if not needed, but want to know if there is a way to confirm the oil pump is doing it's job for an assembled running engine.
    Can't get oil pump hold screw out while in car either. Thanks for reply.

26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

there is a oil pressure outlet on the passenger side of the block . behind the intake/exhaust manifold . you can check it there ......... need more just ask ............ steve
    the dist / oil pump hold down should be a screw with a lock nut . oil pressure is behind it (as in further to the rear of that side)

27. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider
    from Australia

Thanks Steve, I may have said wrong name, but we can't get that oil pressure hole screw out while in the car even with carb etc. off (it's been rounded off in slot and is stuck solid).
    Do you know if the time to get oil to all chambers (and therefore all main bearing tubes) is written anywhere, so we can understand if this engine is pumping enough to do that job. We ran it once for over 3 minutes and there was very little in the back chamber by then.
    I know it's usually all happening behind a steel panel, but thought somewhere it would be written what the original specs were, so that we can compare it to that.
    If not, I know we will have to pull down and start checking everything, but it was driving nice and except for the ticking, we believed it was all OK and was going to let her keep driving. When we saw how long it was taking oil to get into the 3 chambers we don't think it's safe to bolt all back up and drive.
    Appreciate your thoughts, and am trying to get my video onto youtube so you can see what we did.
    David

28. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but on level ground the engine sits at a slight rearward tilt supposedly to help the oil flow to the back. Using aftermarket rear engine mounts may change this angle, I had to slightly adjust my rear float a motor mounts. Didn't use the front float a motor mount.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

I`m getting closer to build my own log type intake for an 8 port.
    I do have two older log type intakes from Gemsa and one for Rutherford, and apparently they work well, does anybody know what the dead end log type intake does that not a more flowing looking tuned intake does?
    Also anything i need to know on total volume?

30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

MR , have you tried a little heat & vise grips ? no knowledge on how long to get flow . try "the ford barn" they arer mostly stock model a's but tremendous knowledge there . good luck . (I presume there is no stock oil gauge)