Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hot Rod artwork...a good idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Davey Mac, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Davey Mac

Davey Mac

Larry's hot rod truck.jpg Hello Folks,
    I'm a newby here working on a 28 Chevy Coupe. Do you think offering to do commissioned artwork of hot rods is a viable idea to help me finance my project? I do the artwork in my style using oils and only charge if you like it. I've done a couple and they both loved them but maybe I just got lucky. I attached a photo of one that I did awhile back. I believe it was 11 x 17. Thanks for any input. Davey Mac

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think there would be a market for your work.
    Tom

Stogy likes this.
  3. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

4. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool work, give it a shot ! Also post HAMB friendly art on Hamb,art work Fri.

Ron Funkhouser and Stogy like this.

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

I like it, and it's in a style that's not seen often. Go for it, ya might be sittin' on a bonanza!

Stogy likes this.
  6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You do nice work! If you enjoy the work and can make a bit of extra $$$ on the side to help finance your car projects, that's a pretty good gig. A lot of guys do side work or work a 2nd job to support their habit.

The other option would be to trade labor (especially with another car enthusiast) for goods or services. You could trade a commisioned painting to a fellow car enthusiast for parts, or perhaps to have some welding or pinstriping done. A part of the build you can't handle yourself and would be hiring it out. The trade could be straight across barter or partial credit towards a large job. Most Hot Rodder's have a certain skill set they're good at or work in the automotive industry.

Stogy likes this.
  7. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I did commissioned hot rod and custom illustration for years. Unfortunately, people started to realize that the jpg proofs I sent were good enough and they would not pay for what I had done let alone a final piece. I tried to be fair and show the progress before asking for any payment, but dealing through the internet invites scammers. With more people willing to do art online for free, see the "ultimate Photoshop" thread here, it is a tough way to make any money.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Thats why you ghost proof or something over the image so it shows up when they hit print...

Sent from my LG-K373 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  9. brady1929

brady1929

I like it too.

10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Your question is really a hard question to answer without knowing more about you.

I have met many people who were very very talented and who did awesome work but really did not have the right personally to deal with the public which is not always an easy task!

I think I would consider dropping the "I won't charge you if you don't like it" because your time is valuable and is really the only thing you have to sell.

I knew a guy who would pinstripe a car and tell people that if they did not like he would take back off their car.
    He told me that he only did that one or two times before he realized that what they were picturing in their mind was different then what he thought they wanted.

When I do graphics for a customers car project I always have them tell me the sizes they want their decals made in so that when they receive and they don't look the correct size it is not my fault.

I also tell them that ALL custom graphics jobs are not returnable.

I had one guy who asked me to make 50 decals in a certain size which he supplied to me.
    He no sooner received his when he called me and asked me to make 50 more that a quarter of an inch smaller in diameter which I did.
    He called me back to order 50 more even smaller when I said to him why don't I just make one decal a little smaller and sent it to you to try before you order another 50 decals.

Ask as many questions as you can before you start doing any work and also ask your customer to show you any pictures of what that he might have so you have a better picture of what is in his mind before you start.

Never start a project without getting money up front because I can tell you from experience how many customers sent me pictures of what they wanted along with how many decals they needed and then never send in a penny and I wasted many hours on doing this before I stopped doing that way.

Best of luck your artwork looks great!
    Jimbo

11. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I tried various proof methods over the years. I was doing concept art and some folks get a good enough image to see and that's all they need. It is a little different than selling something like decals where they don't get the product until the full amount is paid.

Unfortunately, with internet sales there is no way to collect, I usually got 1/3 to 1/2 up front. People can ignore PayPal invoices or email requests. Only happened a few times over the years. Enough for me to concentrate on better use of time.

Stogy likes this.
  12. I was in touch with Steffan Marjoram, last summer. He does drawings, has prices up front and a waiting list. Totally different image than your example, but really cool. See steffanmarjoram.com for examples. I love the look, but out of my price range. Love your work. I think there are a lot of guys that would love to have their ride featured in a painting, but would suggest getting some bucks up front. Good luck.

Stogy likes this.
  13. rosstom

rosstom

Nice work! Try to join with some local groups also and show them your work.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Davey Mac you have some great advice already...and many of these fellows here are there already. Being an Artist and making money involves hard work and is a business. A tough one at that. I could no doubt make a great living off my art but I am lacking in the business end of things. To be a successful Hotrod/Custom Artist you must hit those events with a stall/booth, advertise, Get a Website...ya gotta have it all and a little Lady Luck. You have the base now you have to build it.

Good luck on your artistic endeavors...and welcome...your new here...remember this place is a vintage Hotrod/Custom site No Rats, Hotwheel Rods/Customs...even if its art we have guidelines that are at everyone's fingertips. Don't forget the Friday Art Show...Be there or be Square...;)

Cosmo50 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  15. Davey Mac

Davey Mac

Thanks for all your thoughts Gents. My style is for folks who don't want actual art and not a photograph. Talking art and hot rods makes me want to have some bourbon. Which I did last night after reading the replies (Russell's ten year old). I will do a couple samples and post them on the Friday art show. Any requests? The first person to send me some photos including what they want in the background will be my sample. I love that this site is not into rat rods; I see so many great cars ruined. Thanks again, maybe I'll start with my project. Ha Ha Davey Mac as is.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes Davey start with yours but the blanket should end up on the seat...:p...just kidding what the heck is hiding under there...a coupster with a story?

17. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Dont give your stuff away .Stick to your price.You have to find the correct audience and crowd that can see it for what it is. Ive come across too many people in my area that think 40 hrs of work plus material is only worth $20
    Your paintings are really good,you should do very well

Stogy likes this.
  18. Latigo

Latigo

Yes, like your style. Very unique, very original. Anyone can take a photo. Few can do what you are doing. Price it worth your time with at least 1/2 up front.

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Davey Mac another way of pulling this off is combining this with graphic art as selling wall art is a more timely affair. Just another 50 cents worth on the other 50...

20. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Good Stuff! Dig the style, Davey if you click full view next to your uploaded image it will be larger for us guys to see... Welcome, An Cheer's...

Stogy likes this.
  21. You can sell about any service car related imaginable on the HAMB. I don't recall our numbers any more but there is fun and a lot of us here someone will buy it.

I like the art well enough, I am not one to commission an artist, but there are some high rollers here that I don't doubt would be all over it. It is worth a try anyway.

Stogy likes this.
  22. ...post yer stuff on the Friday Art Show every friday,...I've gotten some commissioned work from doing that,...nice work, I'd like to see more.

23. Davey Mac

Davey Mac

Thanks, I made it full view now

24. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Davey, That's very nice. As one with a house and garage full of artwork I can certainly appreciate your style. There are folks like Dale Klee who have made a living doing this, I think the money is in doing prints. You might contact Mr.Klee, I have spoken to him multiple times and he is a very nice man. I am sure he would be happy to give you some tips. Good Luck.

25. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

This is not scalable over the internet, but a more sure thing as far as payment goes, also you might be able to charge a little more. Go in person to shows as a vender. Set up examples of your work to get people interested. If they want to commission a painting take a 70 or 80% deposit on the spot. Balance prior to final delivery. No refunds on custom orders.

You take some pics of the vehicle and agree with buyer which will be painted. In person you will first form at least some level of relationship, get some good impulse/gift buys, and just make the whole experience more special to the buyer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Want to do this one ?