Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Exploding Fix-A-Flat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FNG, Jan 19, 2018.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Been under my truck seat for...20 years I guess. See directions, lots of warnings.

0119181747a.jpg

2. Good thing I don't live in California

This product contains chemicals know to the state of California to cause cancer

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll second this. Hated dealing with the stuff back in my service station days. Another problem was, with the leak temporarily filled with FAF, often you couldn't identify the place that needed to be patched. When it was obvious, like a nail, you could deal with it. But if the nail had popped out without a trace, the customer was pretty much out of luck--buy a new tire or drive it until it fails again.

I regard FAF as a last-ditch solution for getting yourself out of an extreme emergency/dangerous situation. Otherwise, install a spare or get a tow.

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Never had any luck with fix a flat, it would always leak out and not seal. i have used a product called Slime in low speed tires like on my lawnmower. Had one that was cracked and leaking everywhere, put some Slime in it and aired it up, stayed up for a couple of years, by then the tire was literally peeling apart.

I wonder what GM and others that used the blow up spares used in their inflator cans?

5. Slime works great in my riding mower tires.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  6. I think the other posts backed up my saying it was famous for being dangerous quite nicely.
    AND AM I OLD enough? I'm 65, old enough for most things!
    Why so hostile????

7. Rocky I agree with you on that I too like the slime better.Bruce.

8. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An accurate assessment right there!

9. That's why you should all Have AAA or another AARP towing Service!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live learn & Die a Fool

10. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

Possibly what happened is that the material in the FAF is flammable as well as likely the propellant. (I believe that Freon used to be used for propellant, but now butane is used as it is better for the environment). You can't have an explosion with out oxygen. But when you added air to the tire, you added the oxygen and even more so because it is pressurized air raising the O2 content. This gave all the ingredients necessary then heat or spark or maybe even static from the rubber set it off.

You have a similar type of situation when doing work on equipment which runs on natural gas. When you purge the pipes, you use nitrogen, because if you use air you can create a combustible mixture.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Well dang!!! Could't read this label with my head tilted (does't till very far due to a multilevel fusion), so I tilted the monitor and it went black (???). Laid it flat and hit the "enter" key and it came back up; tilted it again and the same thing. I did't want to tilt the monitor for a third time, fearing it would "blow up" (ha ha!). I used to have a can of the stuff years ago; it was a X-Mas stocking stuffer gift, and I never used it. Don't know what happened to it. Now I'm worried; I gave my daughter a roadside repair kit for her car, and I think there was a can of that stuff in there. I'll have to talk with her about it the next time she calls.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.