Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Glass '32 5 Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Splitbudaba, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

The 462's are 1.94 intakes, but that could be remedied. I have debated putting the 462's on the crate 350. That would up the compression and probably make a lot more power, just needs better gas. I think the compression would go up to about 10 to 1, with the QC rear I could gear her any way I want, highway, drags , or Bonneville if the need arises. Might be the best route at this time. Besides my wife bought the 350 and surprised me with it last year for my birthday, that sways the vote in my mind. Already have a set of 62' 327 valve covers to disguise the crate motor along with a breather style intake. Maybe the 265 will be a spare or for my next project. Know anybody looking for a 57' 265, .040 over?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oh yes you have!

You could make that 350 look like my 327/350 hp.
    You may know this, but your 62 valve covers are a one year only item, pretty rare.

[​IMG]
    The thumbnail photo is my 327.

The 327 that hutchbuilt put in his 32 roadster.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the corvette ignition shielding. Needs a fuel injector. :cool:...or more carburetors.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I know about the valve covers. The guy I bought them from wanted $50 and wrapped them so well. He even included the attach screws and tiny retainer pieces. Really nice gentlemen. Came off his mint 62 Vette. I also have a canister filter and other accessories that came with the 265, even the generator which I rebuilt and will proudly mount out in the breeze.

5. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I've been picking up the shielding as it comes up on different for sale sites. Plan on having that also.

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

Car, Looking Good ! Nice Land, Love trees, I live in the beautiful Northwoods of Wisconsin and love it 8/9 months a year, need to get an AZ deal going for the other 3/4 as at 70 the cold is starting to get to me some. Good Luck with your new home ! Thinking you got the car program covered.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2018-1-18_13-35-38.png

8. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

IMG_2537.JPG Here's the crate motor in disguise (sort of). Needs the 462 heads, Mutha-Thumper cam, and orange paint!!! OH yeah and white headers, no chrome except the top shields. Just like I swung it out of a Vette in the 60s.

9. Wow! A thread 9 pages long about a bitchin' 5-window with a Vette inspired small block and I'm just seeing it now..? I love it! ..Of course I'm a wee bit biased since my budget sent me down the same road twenty years ago and it's been twenty years of fun (ten gathering parts and building and ten on the road)!
    MyDeuce.jpg

Luv yer car man!!
    Dave

10. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

OUTSTANDING!! Love the whole package, great eye. If you don't mind me asking, how do you latch the top hood?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. dan31

dan31

350 or you'll wonder want could have been

loudbang and Splitbudaba like this.
  12. papastrk

papastrk

Your fiberglass and wood work is really nice. My son in law is building an N & N fiberglass 32 3 window. We need to do some glass work, and your build has been helpful. Thanks so much. I hope you will go with the 350 crate engine. The 265 will need valve seat inserts to use the unleaded fuel and just doesn't have enough torque and horsepower to compete with the 350. I am building a 32 5 window that my dad has had since 1958. I lost him before I could finish it. Keep the posts coming when you can find the time.

13. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I am sorry for your loss, I know how that feels!
    I intend to keep posting, mainly because of the really nice folks I've had the pleasure of talking with on this site. Glad to hear my threads have a purpose, and helping other guys is what it's all about! Thanks! You can message me for a more detailed explanation if you like. Glad to help!

14. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

350 it is! Maybe 2 four barrels in the future. Although I would love a set of Hilborn stacks.
    Thanks for the suggestions, No replacement for displacement!!!!!

15. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two 4 barrels, excellent choice!

16. What I did was use a small cabinet pin-style lock at both the firewall and rad shell mounted to the lower edge of the hood. The pins go into small holes in the cowl and rad shell. In order to have them stay in place I use a 1/4 inch stainless rod with an o-ring equipped eyelet at either end which fit over the "handle" of the locks.. Geez I hope that make sense! I will try and get a pic for you as this has worked really well for me.

Thanks for the "attaboy"! I like the vision you have for your deuce too!
    Dave

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  17. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Thanks, I think I got it. Did you reinforce the holes in the firewall and radiator lip? Picture would be great!!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. papastrk

papastrk

Just read through the entire thread and found myself shaking my head again at negative comments made by a very few. Geez guys, you gotta get a life. There is no "traditional world" and there is just "life" and it is not counterfeit. Don't make life more difficult than it has to be with criticism of those of us sharing their skills and knowledge with others. Street rodding is a hobby enjoyed by many. Don't take away from it with petty remarks that most children wouldn't even make. This man's car is a first class build that I am sure many of us would be proud of. It takes time to post photos and write each post on the HAMB, so show some respect to others.

19. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

What he said!!! Many thanks!!

20. Yes Split, the holes were re-inforced with a short piece of tubing (later on as the holes were enlarging over the years..). I found a couple of pics:

The hole in the grill shell (prior to the sleeve install):
    IMG_1810 copy.JPG

The latches mounted to the hood and the rod to keep them positioned in the holes:
    IMG_1806 copy.JPG

Eyelet and grommet:
    IMG_1809 copy.JPG

Sorry for the interruption!
    Dave

21. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Very nice, I definitely can run with this. Thank you very much!! You are one of the good ones!!

22. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I'd stroke the hell out of it and make it look like a stock 265, but I'm weird that way.....

Splitbudaba and loudbang like this.
  23. papastrk

papastrk

Dave, your latch setup looks great. I've got to pass that along to son in law. He also plans to run the four piece hood without side panels. Split, what piston does the 350 have? Flat top, dish? The vortec head is a great head, but an aluminum head might be better yet. The Vette 113 casting is a good head, but has a thin deck, so they can't stand to be milled a lot. Oh, and the split window looked great! Man does that one bring back good memories. Rode in a few new ones when I was younger. Yep, I'm old!

24. I often wondered how the boys used to do their hoods.. It seemed to me to be a popular look, yet the mags never seemed to show the workings and I never came across any in the "flesh" to check them out for ideas. I'm glad my solution might help you fellas!

Dave
    p.s. I like the '63 too! (I've had mine for 40 years :eek:).

25. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I think they are dished, I read somewhere the stock crate 350 has 8.5 to 1 compression, with a 76 CC chamber. If you install the 462 heads with a 64 cc chamber you end up with a 9.7 to compression ratio. That sounds like the way to go. I would like to do a port and polish on the old heads like I did back in the 70's following the diagrams in the How to Hot Rod a Small block book. Back then they were brand new 292 castings right from the Chevy dealer - 2.050 intakes, don't remember the exhaust size.
    My old 63 ran a best of 9.25 at 152 in race trim, it also had a homemade drop straight axle with coil overs. I mounted a Pinto rack and pinion on the axle and used double d bars in the steering linkage. Worked great. And I miss her too. 700 horse thru a 4 speed Muncie with a Liberty case ( good for a lot of torque) with 4.88 dana 60 with a spool, was a blast on street. Could lift the left front tire anytime you wanted.

26. papastrk

papastrk

The dish piston with a 62 or 64cc chamber should work well. I remember the 292 casting head well. I was hoping you didn't have flat top pistons. The 292 head will still work well for a 350 build. 9's at 150+ explains the roll cage. I don't know how you ran a spool on the street with that much rubber, but that had to be a blast to run that 4.88 gear and to carry the left front! We worked on fitting the four piece hood yesterday. That was a pain for sure.

27. zzford

zzford

There is an outfit called Rusnomore that builds a quality glass 34 with a Bonneville chop. A buddy built one and was happy with the quality.

Attached Files:

28. teardrop

teardrop

Thanks for starting this thread. Great encouragement for those of us building 'glass cars.

29. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Is it Real or Memorex ?....Ones All Henry and One's Glass 2 32.jpg

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don't know but that is clearly a no parking zone!