Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best factory red you've ever seen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bubzy, Jan 16, 2018.

1. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN.
    Most reds have a bit too much orange or too much black tint for me.
    I found the PERFECT non metallic red when I was experimenting to paint my Hawk back in the 80s.
    It was a 1985 Buick/Olds red. Forgot the number. It was a simple paint number such as H9, or H11, or B11, or something like that.
    A Ditzler/PPG lacquer red paint, two weeks of curing, and then Ditzler Urethane clear over that (I know they say not to do it, but lacquer stops shrinking eventually, and can live with a top coat if you let it finish shrinking, then sand before the clear. at least it worked for me when using high quality Ditzler. dono if cheap stuff will work out that well).
    My Ditzler paint job lasted 26 yrs before the topcoat started looking weathered. I consider that a success.
    No gasoline stains, no chips, just a garden hose with a cloth wipe, and the car looked shiny for years and years.
    I vote for 1985 Buick red and a super tough urethane clearcoat.
    It has just the perfect blend of redred and very light spice of violet/purple to make it pop without looking purple, and not the look of too much orange or darkening black that too many reds often have :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. nailed31

nailed31

3. 2016 Chevy Silverado red, doesnt have a orange or green tint to it...RED

4. dan31

dan31

^^^ Victory red

5. Deuces

Deuces

Ford 2017 Race Red.....
    I'm sure most of you guys have seen those shiny new ponies somewhere in your neighborhood..... :)

Now, that's red....:D:cool:

55 Ford Gasser likes this.