Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ever heard of this scam ? I'm in the Military , can pay via paypal.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. caseyajones

caseyajones

I use PayPal all the time when I'm buying parts off craigslist from a different city. I have had people tell me they thought I was a scammer and they were hesitant to accept payment from me this way. Some have flat out refused. I've also received payment from various people via PayPal, and I've never had an issue. Once you receive a payment through PayPal you can then immediately transfer it to your bank account. It takes a day or two I believe for the transfer to go through. Once it's deposited into your bank account then they can't take it back. The person taking the risk is the one making the payment but even then, they are protected because they're using PayPal. This is what I tell people when they are hesitant or they think I'm a scammer, once you've received my payment via paypal and after its been deposited into your bank account (may take a day or two) then you can ship out the part to me. If they don't have a PayPal account then I tell them to set it up on their own. If someone asked me to set up a PayPal account and sent me a link then that would be highly suspicious. I would NEVER do that. Set your PayPal account up on your own, through paypal.com and you should be good. I also include my phone number when I'm looking to buy something via craigslist from a different area and I offer to talk with them if they have any questions. You can tell a lot by just talking with someone and asking them certain questions. At least I can anyway. If they don't want to talk to me (because they're on a submarine or some other BS excuse) then that's a huge red flag and I walk away. You have to do your own vetting sometimes.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  3. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Can I chime in and talk about another concern? Conterfeit money! Even if you get paid in cash you may still get burned. I'm a self employed contractor. I once did a job for a client that I had worked for for over 20 years. When I finished the job she paid me in cash. Having some bills to pay I took half of the money to the bank for deposit, and pocketed the rest. When the teller counted the money for deposit the teller noticed one of the bills did not feel right and informed it was counterfeit and they would not accept it. When I went back to the client she told me she got the money from an ATM. I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork at the bank and was told this is very common. The manager of the bank told me to always have one of those special markers to check the bills when I get paid cash.

4. A new scam I just received. I got an email yesterday stating that my order (from a European company I never heard of or dealt with) was ready to ship and my paypal was charged $75 but if it was an error I should click on the link to dispute the purchase on my paypal. I immediately forwarded that email to [email protected] and deleted said email. I then logged on to my paypal an sure enough there was no such charge. A few minutes later I received an email from paypal verifying it was a fake email. Any time it sems questionable I just forward to spoof@paypal and delete, never click a link

5. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I once had a scammer that wanted to send me an over payment and wanted me to send him back the balance. I said sure and I sent him the name and address of the Chief of police at the city police station's address.

I don't know if it was ever sent but it was fun.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.