Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1948 Dodge Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rereaves, Jan 18, 2018.

1. rereaves

rereaves

Recently purchased a 1948 Dodge 2dr. Coupe. The car is all original runs great, just rebuilt the complete brake system. It needs some floor pan work which is a pain in the ass but work in progress. I'm thinking about changing the electrical system from 6 volt to 12. This is something new to me so looking for advice from you folks on what is required or since it is all original should I leave it 6 volts. The electrical system seems like it is in fair condition, headlights do not work I assume a fuse but up to this point have not found fuse. [ATTAC IMG_20171112_055205_576.jpg 20171030_105504.jpg H=full]3778089[/ATTACH]

chryslerfan55 and j hansen like this.
  2. arthurC3

arthurC3

If you are keeping the original gauges, radio, heater, you will need a step down transformer for the radio.The horn will work without a runtz. Runtz for the other electrical components. There will be a single fuse on the back of the ammeter. That fuse is for everything. The starter can be used as is. It will spin faster. Don' t crank for too long, though. It will cook. The generator can be sent to any capable alternator shop and be rewired for 12 volts. Or,for about the same cost is a one wire alternator replacement with the correct width pulley. Speedway etc., makes a kit.Replace all of the bulbs with 12 volt. If this is positive ground, you can't use LED because they are polarity sensitive. Otherwise, that should cover it.

Sent from my LG-H830 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Joe Mammana and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. rereaves

rereaves

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. 4woody

4woody

Look at the old wires carefully. Depending on what kind of life the car has led, the insulation may be stiff and crumbling. If that is the case you'll want to rewire the whole thing anyway, and that may affect your choice of 6 vs 12 volts.

5. j hansen

j hansen

Has 6 volt on both cars,never needed 12 volt. Skärmavbild 2018-01-18 kl. 18.11.25.png Skärmavbild 2018-01-18 kl. 18.12.12.png

6. gatz

gatz

nice looking car, rereaves

yours too, j hansen

chryslerfan55 and j hansen like this.
  7. R Pope

R Pope

If the wiring is in good shape just get the biggest 6v battery that will fit and drive it.

rereaves likes this.
  8. samurai mike

samurai mike

as for the lights, try stompin on the dimmer switch a bunch of times.

9. The headlight switch should also have a fuse mounted to it where the power wire attaches.........also check the headlight sockets that push onto the rear of the headlights as these sockets can "dry" with age and disintegrate........also as 4woody says check the condition of all the wiring............get a workshop manual & it might be worth redoing all the wiring, also make sure the battery cables are the correct thickness for 6volt........I've never been a fan of 6volt and apart from a resistor on the fuel guage and/or radio the water/oil gauges are mechanical & the Amp guage doesn't care whether its got 6 or 12 volts thru it............nice looking car btw...........andyd

10. rereaves

rereaves

Thanks for feedback greatly appreciated

11. rereaves

rereaves

Thanks will give it a try

12. rereaves

rereaves

j hansen and chryslerfan55 like this.