Register now to get rid of these ads!

nightmare truck....sketch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly, Aug 6, 2007.

1. 60GMCGUY

60GMCGUY

When i was a canfield in the spring there was a truck that sort of resemble dthe one in your sketch had a wing on the back and crazy exhaust ill see if i have a picture of it.

2. 60GMCGUY

60GMCGUY

ok no picture but maybe someone else who was there might have one

3. Firecracker

Firecracker

NICE! that would be rad if you got it built. I'm building a 46 chevy right now. I haven't decided if i'm gonna go with back fenders yet, but I got to say that one does look good with fenders.
    Cheers,

4. I hear ya...wouldn't it depend on how much they actually turn though?
    Not only that, but they seem like they would be pretty inefficient as airfoils...the leading and trailing edges are pretty blunt, the aspect ratio is really screwed if it were going on anything airworthy, I'm not an aeronautics expert, but it seems to me the fenders would have the same affect as bricks with radiused edges...there's some folks on here that are heavy into planes, that could shed some light on this...I'm guessing the truck would have to be traveling at speeds over 80 mph and THEN make a HARD turn to either side before the fenders would make much difference...I could be wrong, have been before and it wouldn't be the last time :p

I'm not saying your point is not valid, quite the contrary, it's an important thing to consider, especially since this truck...if I ever get it built...will NOT be a trailer queen.

5. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Nice concept, and I like the evolution I'm seeing too. That's how we do it in the design world you know, start with one idea and improve on it through sketching over and over. I would love to see a version that splits the front fender into two parts - a headlight pod out front and a fender pod behind the wheel. Right now it looks like someone sawzalled it to make it fit. Make it look like its intentional.

6. suiside

suiside

i think you should open up the fronts on the sides and cover the tops..then stretch the rear fenders back alot and skirt them..if i could draw id be all ove it..but i can drawy stick figures and still make them look retarded

7. customcory

customcory

If you really build this hillbilly, you might want to build a model of it just to see how far you would have to put the axle out there, so when it turns, you could see if the wheel pods would hit the hood. That would be cheaper than cuttin up your truck. If the pods hit the hood , then I would seperate the front and back of the pod, modify the wheel openings a little and make the tire turn within the pod, with the pod still straight on. Either way , the pods could be fiberglass. You could make one mold , and make both sides the same , just cut out the holes for the tires and axle etc. for left and right. Mount them with lots of spongy rubber so the vibration would go down. Being fiberglass might help too, and lower the unsprung weight.
    As far as what would happen in a high speed turn, you won't know until you do it. The faster you are going the less sharp you have to turn the tire, except on off ramps or such.
    This has been fun ain't it. Just thinkin' out loud.:D
    This truck is like a good model car dream from about 1961.

8. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I've got to say this whole post has been cool. Got me thinking and I've got some spare parts around...maybe start off with no fenders and work my way up...Hmmm...

9. Fiberglass, yes, I was thinkin' that might be the answer...I was also thinking about the possibility of making the front half of the pod turn with the tires, and the back half being stationary...even more engineering to figure out! lol...this, of course would mean the headlights turning with the wheels...kinda neat.

10. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I dont have time to really read this thread but this truck has alot of potential. I think the design will be pretty cool. In my opinion it would look best as a nicely done radical custom with the bugatti shaped fenders like on that roadster. The pipes look better running down the bed side rather than stacks like in the original picture. Usually I think these kinds of attempts at custom trucks are goofy looking but with the right styling ques and restraint of how far is too far, i think it will be one really cool truck. If the right person builds this thing and gives it just the right lines it could be very neat.

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Personally I like the tires coming thru the fenders. One of the coolest features of that sketch and really the ruling feature of the truck. Airbags would eliminate lots of interference concerns. Hammering the fenders out of aluminum would minimize the unsprung weight concerns. Steering stops and a shitty turning radius solve more problems. Add a couple thrusters for tight maneuvering and the space truck is complete.

12. LoL! Thrusters...that would be fun...especially when sitting next to something with plastic hubcaps :D Thanks for the input, man! Aluminum...I like that. Maybe I can trade some of this stainless I have for some aluminum.

13. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Has anyone started building a truck based on these pictures? I'd love to see some progress pics. I've been thinking about how to make the fenders and would enjoy seeing how others are approaching it.

hillbilly likes this.
  14. reviving my own dead thread...shame on me...

...it's been back on my mind again, new job and more $$$, and a neighbor with such a cab currently used as a "planter" to keep the yard nazis at bay...

the purpose for my coming back here and daring to raise the dead, how are prices on the 1 ton and up trucks lately? The cab and other parts might come in handy, seems everyone is crazy about the 1/2 ton examples and the big ones go for cheap.

just pondering...with a purpose...

Sancho likes this.