Register now to get rid of these ads!

History '64 Galaxie slide-away steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Mar 14, 2016.

1. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

That's a pretty car. Beautiful Waco Biplane behind it too.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Potsmx

Potsmx

I saw a video in youtube about 68 Shelby Mustang () is only Tilt away Steering Wheel, not the steering wheel column.
    I need that for my 70 GT

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  3. Good point there, Potsmx, that is a different operating function than the "slide-away" feature. Cool to see though. I had forgotten about it for sure.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  4. R Pope

R Pope

A car collecter East of me has several Fords and Mercs with that wheel, first ones I ever saw.

5. Terrible80

Terrible80

The Mustang works like the more common in OT vehicle tilt up, but just sideways.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. egads

egads

20170812_115123.jpeg
    Thank you, This was a vintage plane fly-in at a small local grass strip airport-restaurant. Gorgeous planes.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  7. egads

egads

Thank you, I've put about 80k miles on this thing. The Galaxie set up is specific parts wise, dash, column, brake pedal,dash seal, etc. Just put it in park, push to the right, move's the wheel about a foot . Most people think it's broken when they see it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  8. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

And a Stinson Reliant! I've actually Built RC Planes of both of these. The Stinson Had an a .25 O.S. Wankel engine in it.

egads and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Paul_Cole

Paul_Cole

A while ago, my father acquired a light blue (original color) 1964 Ford Galaxy Convertible with a sliding wheel (or Fat Man's wheel) fully loaded with power windows, everything. The car runs well, but it could (maybe) use some new interior, needs a canopy for the convertible part, return to the original light blue color, and I don't need to list it all as you can tell from the pictures...lol. I think he wants to sell it because he asked me to do some research to find comparable Galaxies with these options. The problem is, I can't find any with these options. That's why I'm asking the experts...aka, all of you...lol. Take a look! Drivers Side.jpg Engine.jpg Interior.jpg Passenger Side.jpg Vin Number.jpg

10. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

Well, i have 63 mercury swing away column and dash in my collection.
    A vert galaxie with those options is a rare piece.
    My vert 63 mercury has pw ps pb ac and special order 3.5 rear.someone ordered it for towing a trailer...i would make decent offer for your galaxie, if i just happen to bought one...

11. Your Dad's convertible is a rare piece.

12. 57Fury440

57Fury440

My Dad's 61 T-Bird had it. One of my friends looked at it when it was parked and thought it was broken. He was not a car guy. I always liked that feature. I never saw it on anything but T-Birds. It would be nice to have on any of the Ford line of cars. I would take that over the floor shift any day.

egads and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. ..........I agree.

egads likes this.