Register now to get rid of these ads!

First Build Thread '29 Ford special coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Binger, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Thank you for taking the time to do that for me.

2. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

3. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

4. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Had a great time in the mountains this weekend. It was a bit bittersweet as well. This car was my dad's first car and today he has been gone 9 years. Here he is with his second car in 1972 when he started the restoration on it.
    [​IMG]

I am going to take it easy for a little bit. The three month thrash to get this car to drive wore me out but soon to start on the top and interior. Will post updates as I begin to work on the car again.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr likes this.
  5. noboD

noboD

John, I'm glad you had a good time. It is hard to believe it's been that long that your father is gone. I had a lot of laughs with him. I will never forget our first trip to Denver yo visit our son and driving to Ft. Collins to meet your parents. My wife kept asking why we were driving 100 miles to go to dinner with someone I had only known from the internet. He and your mother treated us like we've known them all our lives. When we drove to South Dakota for vacation on another trip he sat at your kitchen table and drew a route on the map for us to take. When he said STOP here for gas I being a smart ass ask if it was cheaper. He said no it's the only place to buy gas for 100 miles. I wish I had known him longer!

Tim and Dannerr like this.
  6. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks for the funny story. That is true of a lot of places in Wyoming. Dad Loved all the connections he made through AACA. I still come across people who had met him years ago.

CowboyTed and Dannerr like this.
  7. MrsBinger

MrsBinger

[​IMG]

Mrs Binger
    displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=77983]The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/url]

metalhead140 and Dannerr like this.
  8. MrsBinger

MrsBinger

[​IMG]
    I wish your Dad could see the Coupe, Honey. He would be so proud

Mrs Binger
    displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=77983]The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/url]

9. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Not too much going on with this car lately. I did however install a new radiator badge and finish the steering wheel with corby rivets. Moved some things around at the shop today and snapped a pic of the two As. It's crazy how much smaller the coupe looks compared to the roadster. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

barrnone50, Stogy, chop job and 5 others like this.
  10. noboD

noboD

The view from the Annex. The steering wheel turned out pretty good!

11. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks @noboD I am happy with the way the wheel turned out. It may need another coat of tung oil finish. I put two on after the stain. I will have to look at it again this afternoon and decide if it needs more.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The frame still needs some 'Hurrahs'! Beautiful design and execution...Big job, (ask me how I know)
    I also use '28-'30 Chevy rails under Model A's, but yours are the cat's ars!
    Superb paint work, colors really work. Thanks for all the detailed pics, very distinct.

13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

ditto... years ago I had a '31 poncho frame, cut off the front horns and welded on a pair of model As ... slick frame...

14. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thank you so much about the frame. My brother and I built it out of 2X4 3/16". We took the body and set it on the floor and traced around it to get the pinch right. We made 7 Pie cuts to get the shape the way we wanted. Then we worked on the taper to the frame horns. After we had the rails finished we used an after market front 32' cross member and a stock A rear. We pinched the front to match the width of the radiator shell and used the stock wheel base. I still need to put a top on the car and upholstery. Didn't get to that part last winter. maybe next.

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

late to the party , but you do nice work . talent & equipment makes for fun . the clutch disc a while back , solid & no springs ... I had one but with no absorption it chatters . found one with springs & had it rebuilt . nice coupe !

16. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks! That solid clutch was one that came in an old t-5adapter kit that used to be available. I ended up having that little adapter shaft built instead. I Don't know if you caught that. I used a stock clutch disc and I love the way the car drives with it. I hammered on it pretty good at the dirt drags and no issues. However my motor is stock as far as compression and cam goes.

brEad likes this.
  17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

glad it all worked out . keep the solid disk for a spare

18. Have seen and ridden in this fine little coupe. It's a blast to cruise around in. It sounds great, rides great and will put a huge smile on your face.

Dannerr likes this.
  19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

do you mean the white one ? your avatar is a 2 door

20. The coupe this build thread is about.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

cool , thank you

22. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks for the compliment @Racer29. I am glad we have had the chance to meet. Let me know when you get back to town. Bring your sedan when you come and you can drive me to dinner so I can buy!

23. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Made a floor mat out of some battleship grey linoleum. The material was left over from when my grandfather restored his 1910 Overland back in 1978. The 40 year old linoleum was pretty brittle and cracked here and there. It will work until I can make a carpet or buy something else to put in there. Getting ready to move in a week and then Hot Rod hill climb two weeks after that. Been pretty busy for me.

barrnone50, Stogy, Dannerr and 2 others like this.
  24. I may be kicking a dead horse, but what happened to the choke, idling speed, and spark retard/advance? I'm definitely interested in swapping steering wheels in my '30 but I cant find info on it.

Dannerr likes this.
  25. Cheapstreet duster

Cheapstreet duster
    from georgia

i love this picture i have a 31 chevy 2 door sedan handed down from my dad..
    great story...great thread...great build and a great car... thanks for posting it.

Binger and Dannerr like this.
  26. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am running a Mallory with auto advance so no need for the spark adjustment. I am running a stromburg and do not have a choke hooked up. I could use it once in a while but it hasn't been a big deal. I don' have the hand throttle set up either. once the car warms up I have no issues with idle. If I did have the choke set up it has a fast idle cam on it and will kick up the idle until the choke is fully opened. Eventually I will hook up a choke.

Dannerr likes this.
  27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks for the kind words. Dad has been gone 10 years this year. It is hard to believe its been a decade. I need to do a little work on my '30 and put some more miles on it. building a car gets in the way of maintaining the ones that are already finished.
    30 Chevy.jpg

barrnone50 and Dannerr like this.
  28. noboD

noboD

Ten years?? doesn't seem that long ago. Not to get sidetracked here, but this is a man I had only talked to through the internet. When I visited my son in Denver Binger's parents drove about 75 miles to have dinner with my wife and I in Fort Collins. They treated my wife and I like we'd known each other for decades. I will never forget that. Hope Mom is doing well!.

Binger likes this.
  29. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

travisfromkansas likes this.
  30. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks buddy for being a part of the project, the book keeps growing, I'm up to 220 pages so far and I even upped the size of the pages so the photos show up better. It was a blast to hang out with ya!

55Deso likes this.