Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Got a model a coupe for "FREE" prepare to cry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haileyp1014, Jan 15, 2018.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you must be the King of the Stupids. did you sign up just to make idiot comments?

2. IMG_1640.JPG
    Sure you can...

Clay Belt, biggeorge, Mikel50 and 8 others like this.
  3. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

NO not stupid from what I also have read from here from time to time, whats the matter don't you like re runs?

4. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Most people I see here have a sense of humor, I see its going to take awhile for you to get up to speed!

haileyp1014 likes this.
  5. upspirate

upspirate

I wondered the same thing

6. alchemy

alchemy

I once bought an A coupe body that had fallen off a moving trailer for $100. It looked very similar to yours, minus the charring. Parts of it went into this coupe:

Frank.jpg

It lives on in infamy.

7. Vanness

Vanness

That looks like the a they did for Paul Tuttle sr.

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a decent core for some of the metal gurus on the HAMB.

That's a bottle, not a can.

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

It is. Here's what the body looked like before we started grafting parts of other bodies to it.

PC043082.jpg

And here's one after the patching:

Coupe 7.JPG

10. Vanness

Vanness

Figured it didn’t start white lol. Came out nice.

11. I knew someone would call me on that. :)

Couldn't find a decent picture of the old can during my 3 second google image search.

Clay Belt and kiwijeff like this.
  12. Is this better?

Attached Files:

crashfarmer, biggeorge and kiwijeff like this.
  13. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

You may have paid too much, Good Luck...

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  14. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

Any chance the owner had a title for that car? Hopefully in the house and not the garage. Might be the most valuable part left from that car.

Clay Belt and 41 C28 like this.
  15. 48FLIP

48FLIP
    from DENVER CO

Look a the pictures closely. Does it look like this is a slant windshield? Is this a cabrolet or a coupe. If it is a slant windshield why does it have a visor? Only slant windshield coupe I've seen was the one proto type 3 window which has no visor.

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

This is almost as common as the buffing comments:D

caseyajones and kiwijeff like this.
  17. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Garage was detached so the house didn't burn.the owner of the car took the chassis and left the body behind.land Lord kicked guy out and she asked me if I knew any one who would haul it off. 20180116_121007.jpg 20180116_121003.jpg 20180116_120959.jpg

18. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

Interesting. Me and that horse are on the fence about whether or not this could be repaired.

19. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

You could get that up and running, and still have the whole afternoon to drive it around town.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff and haileyp1014 like this.
  20. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Chances are that the sheet metal was annealed due to the heat of the fire. Chances are that the fire dept. hosed the car down while still hot. You got it at fair market value.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  21. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I wonder if you could fix the hardness of the metal still? Can a burned body be salvaged? I turned down a 1970 Challenger that was burned. That is why I am curious. I was told that the metal would tend to crack.... Did I get bad information?

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

It depends on how hot the metal was and how fast it was cooled. I would assume that if it were a structural fire or car fire, the fire department showed up rather quickly and added cold water to the hot sheet metal. When you add cold water or air to hot sheet metal, it also shrinks the metal. Hammering on the metal after it has hardened to try and stretch it back into shape would surly add to the chance of cracking.

23. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Thanks 1946caddy for the information.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. mike bowling

mike bowling

LOTS of parts to rescue! ( a full set of hinges is worth 150 bucks all day long)

There IS no junk! Use it up!! 10-6-10 002.jpg

25. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

And if cracked. What's the fix for that???

Do we treat this job like any other job???? What factors must he and others working with metal from the 30's??? AND rusted too?.

I ask because I was working on a similar car that rolled over. Rust had settled in and made the metal thin, orange, crusty and weak. When hit with a body hammer it did not act the same. Here is a picture of a door that has what im describing[​IMG]

The hardest part will be where its crushed on the body lines, well it was for me. The easy solution would have been to cut it out. But when working with what you have and not having another car to take from you made due...
    [​IMG]

Worked it back at 1st with a jack and 2×4 on its side and hammered/dollied out the rest but my question is what do you do when you have a developed a crease like in this picture, top left. [​IMG]

And as I said in the beginning what do you do when you overwork it and stretch the metal out? Thanks.

And don't give up hope OP.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. indyjps

indyjps

Porta power that back into the general shape of a car, get the doors opening and closing, winshield in, and on a chassis. Scuff it down all wrinkly and wipe it down with gibbs oil.

Drive it around and tell the story everytime you stop.

Perfect place for a rustoleum paint job. It sticks to anything, if it does flake off, jist brush more on.

Dont know if thats workable back into a nice car with the unknown heat damage, but it can still be a fun car.

27. redoxide

redoxide

That doesnt look like its been hot enough to anneal it. It more scortched and had something drop on the roof

Secure it to a body jig and get the Porta power to work, pick the correct start point and it will come out as it went in.. The metal has a memory and its just amazing sometimes how they pull back into shape .. What would you have to loose, better to have tried and failed, before you let it rot into the earth..

Does look worse now I take a second look , maybee has been hotter in some areas but still, what you got to loose? ( but your sanity )

28. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

Don't harp on me too much, but what about selling it to a rat rodder, it would be one less nice car getting distroyed. But I was always wondering what would happen if you lit it on fire again and let it cool slowly, would it soften the tempering process that happened from the fire and water? I don't see trash at all, I'm glad you saved it from the scrap yard and I hope she sees the road again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. WTF really

WTF really

I definitely would've dragged her home as well. Good job.

haileyp1014 likes this.
  30. gene-koning

gene-koning

One thing about a project like this one, you sure can't hurt it!
    Get the body bolted to something solid and start jacking the roof back up, it might even come somewhat close to original, who knows. You have nothing to loose except a little time.

Donuts & Peelouts, When a body is really bent up, the best thought is to get it as close to the original shape as you can, then tap the high spots down to just below the surrounding area, with something having a close contour behind it. Eventually it will have some filler in it, the idea is to have as little filler as possible. If you have a high spot, the surrounding area needs to be built up for the high spot to blend in, requiring a lot more filler. The secrete to filling low spots is to stop sanding before you remove too much filler and have to add more. Gene

Clay Belt and indyjps like this.