Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best factory red you've ever seen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bubzy, Jan 16, 2018.

1. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alfa Romeo Red looks nice

alanp561 likes this.
  2. Vanness

Vanness

Viper red here. Painted my nova that color. It pops!

wraymen likes this.
  3. brady1929

brady1929

Another vote for ford vermillion red

anthony myrick and biggeorge like this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Porsche red has always been a favorite red for me.

ls1yj likes this.
  5. Deuces

Deuces

My next "new" car will have that color..:D:D:rolleyes:

Can't wait till Spring!!!!!;):D

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  6. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Cadillac does red good. They have a bright one and a deep red. From years 1996 and up

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Bubzy

Bubzy
    from Detroit

DDDenny, Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of going '67 Bolero Red, my first car was a '67 Impala SS in that color. What kind of paint is it? Lacquer, enamel? I would like to go base coat/ clear coat

8. Bubzy

Bubzy
    from Detroit

Does anyone know what kind of paint 1967 Chevy Bolero Red PPG 71583 is? Lacquer, enamel, etc? Can I get it in Base coat/clear coat? How's it spray? Thanks Guys!

RODIST likes this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

Hey B,
    We had several red cars, as it is a great color on hot rods and customs. Out of two, 40 Ford Sedan Deliveries painted a version of red and our only red 1965 El Camino, the red color from the GM factory was the best we had. With a few coats of Blue Coral Wax then Classic Car Wax and finally a pure Carnuba wax, the finish on that red El Camino shined like it belonged in a car show.

upload_2018-1-17_5-40-14.png
    This was a simple question about a red color. Back in 1965, actually the fall of 1964, I ordered a new 1965 El Camino with a 250 hp 327 and an auto transmission. It was to be my long haul vehicle, to and from college, long distance driving up and down the California freeways and byways, desert incursions with our racing, dirt motorcycles, many surf trips, and a few excursions south of the border for more off road motorcycle races .
    upload_2018-1-17_5-41-23.png
    No more drag races, but a few custom touches as all hot rod guys do from time to time for individuality sake. The add-ons were: wide, Inglewood Red Line, Pos-A-Traction tires, (great grip in wet and dry and floats over desert sandy areas with ease,etc.) a full underbody black, undercoat sealer (for interior quiet and protection from salt water,) a custom air shock (inside of the cab) gauge and a stereo cassette player.

It was a utilitarian people/thing mover, not a racer. In 1973, we sold it with 125,000 miles of trouble free driving. No extra oil used, a couple sets of tires, and trouble free brakes, it was a gas and go type of vehicle.

Best of all, my girlfriend, then wife of a zillion years, loved this red El Camino for all of our trips up and down California, despite not having A/C. But, we were indestructible, twenty somethings with the whole world ahead of us !

Jnaki
    upload_2018-1-17_5-43-5.png
    Reflections from 1968, resting, prior to attending a few Rock Concerts in Los Angeles.

upload_2018-1-17_5-44-47.png
    This view shows the rare, Greeves Motorcycle sticker in the rear window, in all its glory.

elgringo71 and Tickety Boo like this.
  10. Seagraves Fire Engine red. HRP

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

2014 Chevrolet Red Hot Red, also known as Pull-me-over red. The perception of different reds changes a lot under different lighting conditions. IMG_1607.JPG IMG_1611.JPG 13716000_938403395477_1284641727301862536_n.jpg

Tickety Boo and catdad49 like this.
  12. Another vote that Porsche red is the reddest red I have ever seen. But all our eyes are different so some people see different shades than I do.

ls1yj likes this.
  13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Ferrari Rossa Corsa red.

14. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Viper Red,
    it was the brightest "redest red" at the paint shop.
    32.jpg

15. catdad49

catdad49

Mike, that's how you do rear flares! More info and pics, please.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  16. This is like asking other people what you should put on your hamburger.

Colour is subjective (as in, everyone will have a different opinion). People perceive colours differently. Colours shift with the light, the time of day, what other colours are near them. Men and women prefer different colours, men prefer deeper, cooler reds; women prefer brighter, warmer reds.

I like darker, bloodier, meaner reds. Give me a bleeding slab of raw meat.
    I friggin' hate bright, orangy or pinky, reds. Don't give me a lipstick smear or some snotty kid's candy.

The only opinion that matters is the guy who's paying for the paint job.

What do YOU like?

X38 likes this.
  17. Hotrodray

Hotrodray
    from Sweden

Mazda "Sunrise Red" .....

18. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Not to hijack the thread, but it's just front arches grafted to the rear quarters. the hardest part is fabricating the inner well to match. IMG_1239.JPG

wraymen and catdad49 like this.
  19. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I agree with BJR, my 34 is Corvette Torch Red and I really like the color.

20. aaggie

aaggie

Chevy Roman Red or Porsche Guards Red are two of the best. That said, a lot depends on the correct primer color. In the early '70s I shot a lot of Roman Red single stage Acrylic over light Grey primer and was always pleased with the finish. Also be aware that red along with white and yellow are the hardest colors to match when you have to paint a section of repair work.

21. Tough question. When you really get into the weeds looking for 'the perfect red' it becomes a question in the vein of 'how long is a string?' You find that it is either a yellow red or a blue red. True red seems to be an elusive goal. Just have to make your eyeball happy and go with that.

22. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

3x corvette torch red. prettiest red out there

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My Nova was painted (about) 1986 so I'm going on memory.
    It is Ditzler/PPG Delstar catalized enamel with clear finish, Delglow I think it was called. I'm thinking this was before the term "basecoat/clearcoat" was used.
    This car has been what I call a "jackstand" car, as it has seen only a total of 100 miles driven since buying it in 1983, it had exactly 100k on the odometer the day I bought it.
    It has never been finish buffed in all these years because it was going to be a long term build with a lot of mechanical work, actually it has gone through two different iterations.
    I do recall my friend who painted it saying it got hard as a rock overnight.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Actually Kirker sells a Performance Red in base and single stage that is really a nice red. DSCF3410.JPG DSCF3398.JPG

25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As stated earlier 2018 Ford Race Red is pretty ez to see. Sorry for the non-hamb friendly photo so I kept it one of badging photos..... image.jpeg

biggeorge and 55 Ford Gasser like this.
  26. Richard Head

Richard Head

I painted this car Subaru Cardinal Red in 2006. I liked the color so much I went and bought a gallon of it for myself. I didn't have a car to put it on, but I've painted wheels, engines, various accent stripes and a vintage refrigerator with it.
    100_0693.JPG

Dave

wraymen likes this.
  27. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

BMW cinnabar (zinnobar) red. a little darker than a bright red, beautiful color, my favorite.

[​IMG]

28. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Depends what sealer you use under red. White sealer will make brighter , and the red sealer will make it darker, and black sealer will make it darker still. Most colors are transparent and can see thru them. Just look at how much binders and balancer in the mix the more of them the more transparent the paint is. Do a spray out on a test panel over white, grey, red oxide, and black. Use the same reduction and same number of coats on each panel. Then decide which look you like under NATURAL SUN LIGHT then decide which sealer to use. You will get 4 different colors out of the same can of red paint. Frank

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  29. Back in '92 I had a red Mercedes that was classy, not brassy. I thought it looked nice with the saddle tan interior.
    (I don't have a photo so I lifted one from the 'net.).......

mercred.jpg

dan31 likes this.
  30. dan31

dan31

Mercedes Benz " Mars Red". It's a slightly darker ,not to bright solid red. No orange hues. Check out paintref.com