Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot Rod Code of Ethics Dilemma

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAD ROD, Jan 16, 2018.

1. How many more yards like that are going to be crushed out before the selfish people who know where they are puts the word out?
    Keep it to yourself for what? Ambience? You want ambience, go to an Italian restaurant.
    Its not like a fishing honey hole where too many fisherman fish it out. That stuff is deteriorating as we discuss. Like a lot of others, I know of junkyards that were like that and one time you go back and its gone forever, sold as scrap for pennies on the dollar.
    Ask the owner if he wants the publicity as stated above. Then abide by his wishes.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it is better to keep is a secret so when the owner dies it all gets crushed. we don't want that old tin going towards any projects

INVISIBLEKID, HSF, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  3. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

I would tell the owner that there are guys out here who need parts and ask if you can share the location. Simple as that.

Squablow, porkshop and BAD ROD like this.
  4. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I would love to know if he has vintage Dodge parts. I sometimes wish that I was a GM or Ford guy as I can always find these types of parts. Being a Mopar guy is tough... Especially if you are not into the muscle cars or finned cars. Vintage trucks seem to be the first to go to the scrapper.... So it seems

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

U have already shared to much "! I know exactly where it is ! California seriously take more pics ,(and if u want) act as a laison for some of the smaller pieces some of the guys need for there projects . I would think some of the bloodsuckers would just buy anything of value not because they need it but to double or triple there money .I hate bloodsuckers ! J.M.O. It's been hidden that long a little longer won't be a big deal .u visit see when the doom train is getting close then share the wealth ! Like u I think it's awesome places like that still exist ,I wouldn't turn the dogs loose on it .

BAD ROD, J53 and 40 & 61 Fords like this.
  6. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

One big thing I see that could end up being a problem if the info gets out is the Idiots! I'm referring to the guys from the north end of south Timbuktu that call this guy everyday looking for some obscure part that NOBODY has had since those cars were new. He fields a dozen of these calls a day and more "normal" requests from many of the 500,000 HAMBers all over the world that want him to take pics, quote prices for the parts, take the parts off and ship them to them, AND inevitably complain that his price is to high. After a year of this, he goes back to being a semi-private yard, then soon after makes no money and crushes it all because it just isn't worth the hassle. Sounds like what causes the end to most yards like this once they go "public"
    We all dream of these yards, but there's always a few that ruin it for the rest when the word gets out! Be it because they have a problem showing respect to the yard owner, steal stuff, or try to hard to get a deal on stuff.

WiredSpider, pat59, Ric Dean and 4 others like this.
  7. I say let a few trusted friends know about it. Simply because at some point yards like this get cleaned up and the cars crushed!
    To me it is much better for car to be restored, hot rodded, or made in to a racecar. Then be crushed and turned into about 100 Hondas!

8. 2935ford

2935ford

Do Mike and Frank from Am Pickers let ya know the addresses of where they are.......I don't think so!

On the other hand.....gunna let it just go into the ground?

9. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Hell I go there all the time. Just came from there.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I just would not tell everyone,if you do there will be the ones who will go in and ruin it for everyone else. I let someone I know in a personal junkyard and come to find out that idiot was going back and stealing gas from the owners above ground tank late at night and letting others in on it too.

11. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Buy what you want. Ask the owner if its ok to post it and if so post the address.

12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

May be ridiculous but, the fact is that it happens. There's a guy not far from me who has enough old iron at his place that he couldn't build it all if he had another 100 years. I saw at least four 29-33 complete Essex sedans, tons of early Corvette including 2 '54 Vettes, one with the original side drafts and another with a hole in the hood to make way for the downdraft carb someone put on it, 34-35-36 Fords, and several buildings holding as many as 40 cars each. He knew that there were at least two Model A frames in one of those building but it was too much trouble to go look. There were cars and parts laying out in the woods getting covered up with oak leaves. I tried getting him to make me a price on a '48 front axle for three days and he never would. One of these days, he'll die if we're lucky, there will be an auction. If not, all that iron will be shredded and on a ship to Japan. Damned frustrating, is what it is.

13. The good new is, now that manufacturing is on the upswing in the USA, when that yard gets crushed out, the metal will still go to making Hondas and Toyotas ...but they will be made here in the US.:)

14. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Exactly what business are you in that doesn’t run on profits??? Whether to sell off or not should be the owners decission and no one else. If someone make a profit on some parts someone else needs and is willing to pay the price,exactly who was hurt. Nothing wrong with that, that is what makes our country so great.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tractorguy likes this.
  15. [QUOTE="BAD ROD, post: 12397155, member: 4253"I would guess the owner has a good 10-20 years left in him (seems pretty young hearted and feisty - like all good parts guys). [/QUOTE]
    Yes, as long as he doesn't die of some illness or accident. Will the heirs want to get their money out of it ASAP?
    By the way, I live in the boonies of the Sierra foothills and we have them TV gizmos here too. I'm guessing this guy has seen enough "reality" TV to have an inkling of what he has. I suspect he is more than capable of selling everything he wishes to.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  16. Several years ago Curboy's junk yard in Southbridge, Mass. was opened up to the public after the owner died. Someone got in, and posted some pictured on the HAMB. As a result the 3 sons made probably more money than they would have otherwise. This lasted about 2 years, before they sold out to a crusher. It was good while it lasted. They didn't care if you resold the parts, as long as they got their money. They were good people to deal with.

17. pitman

pitman

There ya go...Ruinin' a perfectly good auto!! (Thread) :cool:

18. TTR ....same thing happen to an older owner of a well established Dallas yard....guy came in to buy the place...with in 6 months it was all crushed and gone - maybe the same guy ?

razoo lew likes this.
  19. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You said the guy makes his living off selling parts out of there . Advertise for him and help others get projects on the road . Keep old iron on the road not crushed and melted down into more Prius .

20. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

We had an amazing collection of '20's -'40's cars in our South Okanagan area where the weather is dry....a massive field of dreams! row upon row of very salvagable near rust free tin! I never went in it as I was stopped on the road by the neighbours who claimed the owner was a crazy old coot who was known to carry a gun....but I drooled over it from the road many times. I'm pretty sure I saw a '36 3w coupe in there many still had vestiges of original paint this was before cell phone days so no pics :-( the local guys couldn't get anything off him either and there was speculation of some amazing treasures hidden in there.....fast forward 10 years I go by to see a buddy and it is all gone! so I ask did you guys get to look or buy anything?.....Nope not a thing the guy died and with no known relatives and I think owing taxes the property reverted to the township which scrapped every last bit of it no auction nothing just boom gone in the blink of an eye

21. Up to the yard owner whether or not to publicize it.

BAD ROD likes this.