Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Englishtown No more drag Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrappybunch, Jan 17, 2018.

1. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

The Napp Family FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Old Bridge Township Raceway Park January 17, 2018
    RACEWAY PARK ANNOUNCES RESTRUCTURING OF BUSINESS
    EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
    Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, the Napp family owned and operated business
    announced today a reorganization of the company’s business operations. To achieve this
    goal, Raceway Park will no longer conduct quarter mile or eighth mile drag racing events
    effective immediately. Raceway Park will retain and use the “stadium” portion of the
    facility including the VIP hospitality tower and grandstands and continue most of its
    operations including the spring and fall auto swap meets, numerous car shows, both
    motocross racing and practice, kart racing, as well as drifting, a full schedule of road
    course activities, mud runs, monster truck shows, musical concerts, & festival events and
    more. The long standing Old Bridge Township Airport, owned and operated by Raceway
    Park will also continue to operate as normal.
    The new reorganization reflects the company’s plan moving forward beginning in 2018
    while allowing Raceway Park to still continue to operate as it has in the past with the
    exception of drag racing.
    The Napp family wishes to express their most sincere gratitude to the NHRA, and the
    many thousands of racers and fans, without whom would have never allowed Raceway
    Park to become the iconic and nationally recognized drag racing facility it has over the
    past five decades. The Napp family would also like to extend a heartfelt thank you to the
    employees that have served our drag racing customers so well over the previous years. It
    is with a great sadness that the Napp family is discontinuing drag racing, however the
    family looks forward to continuing to provide the best outdoor events in this new era of
    Raceway Park.
    About Raceway Park
    Raceway Park has been a family owned and operated business since its opening on
    July 4th 1965. For the past fifty two years the Napp family has focused on presenting
    the very best in fast family fun that includes NHRA sanctioned drag racing events,
    AMA sanctioned motocross racing, motocross practice, auto swap meets, auto
    shows, top rated drifting events, competition karting events, alternative motorsport
    and lifestyle events, athletic endurance events, history making concerts and music
    festivals and much more.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

62hotcat and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Sad to say the least. I'd like to know the real reason.
    Pete

3. Sporty45

Sporty45

Another one bites the dust, sad :(

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Yeah let’s cancel drag racing but keep drifting....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. ilovemycar1958

ilovemycar1958

so sad. my favorite memory was meeting bob glidden in 1980. that was the high light for me..

6. Getting to be less and less of them.

7. mopacltd

mopacltd

I think a lot of this has to do with the short shut down and the fuel teams complaining of how hard it is to get stopped

8. ilovemycar1958

ilovemycar1958

well you should look at island drag ways tract.

9. rooman

rooman

The real reason is that a large part of the facility has been leased to Co-Part, the on line vehicle auction based in Dallas, TX. Ironically the connection between the Napp family and Co-Part may have grown out of the latter's sponsorship of Kenny Bernstein's team. Obviously leasing space is a lot less labor intensive than maintaining and staffing a drag race facility. That said, the Napps will continue to run other events on the portion of the facility that they are retaining.

Roo

HEMI32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Does that leave just Atco and Island Drag strips as the last two left in New Jersey?
    I'm still surprised that Atco is still operating with all the development in South NJ.

chryslerfan55 and ilovemycar1958 like this.
  12. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Boils down to follow the $Money

13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

14. Sad to hear!

15. NWRacing

NWRacing

It's unfortunate. I think sanctioning bodies, tracks and racers all need to get on the same page if we expect any kind of racing to survive. The fact they will continue to run drifting and motocross events shows that there are economically viable forms of racing left, unfortunately they are not the ones we grew up on. NHRA's focus on professional level racing at the expense of sportsman level events has pushed the cost of racing to a point that fewer and fewer people can make a profit from events, sponsors, promoters or racers. Passion can only sustain something for so long eventually you need some justification for the cost.

crashfarmer and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. long island vic

long island vic

too many hands in the cookie jar..kids cousins ect all pulling out of the profects,,,just so thin you can go..don't be surprised if its not leased to an outside ineritrest

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It is sad, the music is slowly dying.

18. jimdillon

jimdillon

Sad but not really surprising to me. It has probably been 10 years since I attended an NHRA event and I cannot imagine attending any more. On the other hand I have attended the last five Meltdown drags and hope to attend many more (as well as other nostalgia/vintage drag races). As a participant and spectator back in the 60s, I witnessed the greatest era (IMO) and the rolling billboards of todays’ participants just don’t do a lot for me. The speed today is very impressive but to me it just does not have the same appeal.

I read an article a couple of weeks ago that suggested that the NHRA switch from three day events to two to make it more “special” I suppose, but also suggested not running any sportsman classes during the Sunday activities as no one really cares about the sportsman (as the stands emptying during the sportsman running is evidence of). Not sure what the solution to improving the health of drag racing or if there is a solution. The NHRA screwed it up so bad so many years ago that it is what it is but that is not saying much if you ask me.

Never saw a race at Englishtown but my cousin blew up his 64 Plymouth Fury there and I ended up buying it in pieces and made it my first “muscle car” back in the 60s. I actually wanted a 390 hi-po 61 Starliner but my dad nixed the purchase (I was 17 at the time) and I bought the Fury for $100 without his consent. Once I had it he knew he had been had but too late to nix that purchase and it was from my cousin which may have helped. I admit I am one of those guys still living back in the 60s (with no apologies). I few years ago I still had a hankering for a 61 Starliner and bought one.

19. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

It's amazing how big Co-Part is! They bought out 2 old junk-yards near me in the last few years. Both yards are FILLED to capacity! Any time I go by either yard during business hours, there's a roll-off or a semi of cars either coming in, or going out!
    Also, are they at all involved with any of the corporate buy-backs like the VW one? There's an area north of me that has literally 8,000 VW recalls parked in it! Maybe there's another one of those that they are gearing up for!

20. 5window

5window

Sounds like a real possibility for a fantastic demolition derby

21. dan31

dan31

Guys, the truth is that there is nobody in the stands anymore. Atco is only 15 minutes from me and the place is a ghost town on Tuesday and Friday nights compared to what it used be to 25 years ago. Hope they can hang in there and actually prosper.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How much profit for how much effort and investment was probably the killer. That and the shutoff area not being long enough for the speeds of the pro cars now days even with the shorter race length.
    The local 1/2 mile circle track sold out and local round and round racing will either be 1/4 mile dirt or tow a rig 80 miles in one direction or the other to the closest paved track unless someone builds a new track out on cheaper land.

23. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Royal Purple Raceway in Baytown, Texas stopped all drag racing because they leased out their property for parking all the flood damaged cars from Hurricane Harvey.

I guess there is more money in parking cars on their property then was from drag racing.
    Jimbo

24. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I think dan31 is correct. Every time I watch drag racing on TV the stands are empty, especially on Friday and Saturday. Sunday seems to be the only day they are half full. Can't pay bills if there is no attendance.

dan31 likes this.
  25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

TWO separate drag strips there, Moto-cross tracks, airport, etc. I remember the court battles they had years ago, and even built a sound wall to help. Bottom line is, it's all about money, and who's willing to pay more. They had to have a different business plan setup with someone before making this announcement. No such thing a loyally when it comes to money. Never been there, never will now. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

26. rhtfo

rhtfo

I don't know if the NHRA has helped drag racing or shot itself in the foot since Wally past. I personally haven't been to one of their events in over 20 years, but before that I would go to the U S Nationals in Indy every year. Plus make it to 1 or 2 other big events a year. I guess even back then, it was profit vs. time involved. Now days I will not drive 2 or more hours one way to watch the " PROS" run. It's doesn't get it for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Wow ! I remember going to Englishtown for the first time in 1976 as a crew member on an alcohol Funny car.
    Great times always a fun race to go to. Sad to see that it is gone.

doug warren and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. uncleo

uncleo

I was there when Madison Township Raceway Park opened in 1965 along with my late brother Mike.
    A year earlier we had scouted out the location along Pension Road by asking a couple of kids who were
    go karting in nearby Englishtown....there was nothing as exciting as seeing the sign on the property that read ''The Future Home of Madison Township Raceway Park''

Before that it was Atco or Great Meadows or earlier the straightaway drags at the Old Bridge and Atlantic
    City stock car tracks along with drag racing at the Vineland track and Linden Airport Drags....E - Town was
    Big Time,State of the Art....and LOCAL.
    My dad used to go with us from time to time while he and mom supported our adventures through the world
    hot rods,custom cars and racing....round track on Saturday Nights and the drags on Sunday.
    For over 40 years plus I was one of the track announcers at Wall Stadium Speedway along with my buddy
    and announcing partner Charlie Roberts who also worked at Raceway Park where for a time he did the
    Sunday Sunday!!!!! track radio spots with the laughing mouse....by the way I just spoke with him and he is
    doing well.
    As Alan Freed once said ''it may be gone but you can't take away the memories''
    Lee Greenwood-RAT RADIO
    Still involved in racing and custom car cruising.