Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ever heard of this scam ? I'm in the Military , can pay via paypal.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Ok, so I have my 60 Chevy SD for sale here and on Cr**g*l*** as well... So I go this same response from another off topic car I had for sale on the same website... So called scammer says they are in the Military and want to buy your car... Then they go on about buying it for themselves or a relative for a gift.. Being I'm in the Military I only have access to my email a few times a week( no phone given when asked for). (don't even bother reading in the add NO Paypal ) .. they will give the whole story of how they can only buy your ride thru Paypal ( so they can make payments) .. So I replied to scammer if had seen they add says NO Paypal... and inspection in person will be required... you will not hear back ...

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just message them back, CASH ONLY no paypal or other forms of payment.
    Scam or flake.
    Someone hit one of my buddies up in Everett up with a similar paypal offer yesterday.
    I can see wanting to send a deposit by Paypal to hold the rig until someone gets there with cash and tow rig and trailer if needed.

catdad49 likes this.
  3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

So, will you accept Paypal? I'm in Nigeria and it's the only method I have.

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Yup. You can use paypal for payments thru paypal credit. But if your ad say's no paypal, then no paypal.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I should note that the serious paypal scammers want to send you a link to sign up for Paypal. It isn't paypal you are signing up for but when you click on their link it looks like they paid you and the money is in your paypal account (that doesn't exist) .
    A friend I worked with lost 5 K worth of jewelry that way by not asking me or another coworker about setting up a paypal account.

zzford and loudbang like this.
  6. add states both NO Paypal, Cash only... this was my third contact via Cr**gsl*** with this request... I just had to laugh, scammer asking the condition of the car and why I'm selling it... So guess when I asked to contact Paypal with the email(if real) I was getting in the reply.. and see if the were for real they ran...

7. only if your name is Doug from Nigeria and can voice verify ! LOL

8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

So what is the PayPal scam? I use it all the time and have never had a problem. I did have one person refuse to sell me something with PayPal and I sent him a money order and told him to keep the item until the funds cleared his bank. All worked out but I checked and saw the person had a good history here on the HAMB. I feel safer buying with PayPal but have never sold anything.
    No, the Nigerian Lottery does not accept PayPal.

caseyajones, loudbang and LWEL9226 like this.
  9. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

I would like to know the answer to this also.....

LynnW

10. When in doubt .... send 'em a dick pic'. :)

11. When you receive a paypal payment, it can be taken back a month later and you can't prevent it. (90 days if it was a credit card purchase if I remember right) even if Paypal sides with you.
    You put all your trust in an honest buyer. Many scammers try all sorts of things to get free stuff.

Your paypal agreement says you agree to letting them pull money from your bank account to cover losses.
    Never accept a paypal payment where you cannot provide a tracking number, or you will automatically lose. Personal pick-ups cannot prove delivery. Even if they live just down the street, and you think its dumb to get a tracking number for a heavy transmission to go two blocks....its a gamble.
    Even if paypal sides with you, any credit card provider can reverse their funds, then paypal tells you they have no choice but to remove the funds from your linked bank account.
    You agreed to that.
    During many years as a big time ebay seller, you learn the scams.
    I am lucky that very very few crooks actually couldnt be stopped, but even just a few will make you to never trust paypal transactions...and it's a lot of work digging up documents, correspondence, etc to back you up, then waiting for their decisions. In the meantime, they took the money from you FIRST, then you work and work to get it back . (got plenty of money to cover yourself when they take the money back from your bank account to put on hold?) Your Paypal agreement allows them to do that.
    What about when you drop off a transmission at their house, and can't prove that you have a tracking number? You automatically LOSE any non-delivery complaint. And believe me, many people are trolling around for free deals like that.

Never accept it for in-person purchases unless you really really trust the person or at least ship them some part of it with a tracking number or anything will automatically be decided against the seller "that never shipped the item".
    Granted, when I was making 10,000 + per month, the crook percentage was small, and their success rate was even smaller, but no matter how aware you are of all the little tricks and scams, some still get thru, and your paypal agreement says YOU will be the one covering the costs in the end. You agreed to that.

....ask me about the one who bought a few heavy boxes of NEW machined parts, then 2 months later, after carrying them around in the back of his pickup in the rain, sent back rusty pieces in crumbling unopened boxes demanding full refund for ruined parts because he sold the project car.
    ANOTHER GOOD ONE ...
    I had one customer who complained about a couple Ford 9 center sections that never arrived. Money removed from my account for two whole weeks while I dug out papers, emails etc, until it was finally discovered that his buddy signed for them, then ran off with the parts, stealing from his "best friend".
    WORLDS DUMBEST CROOKS, but it cost me lots of time, and some money. I won but it still cost me some.
    IN THE MEANTIME, PAYPAL PULLED FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT UNTIL I FOUGHT TO GET IT BACK.
    I am so glad I spend my time on fun stuff now instead of constantly being on alert for electric shoplifters.
    P.S. ebay no longer allows you to leave a negative for a shoplifter, but they can negative you for sneezing.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    NWRacing, 49ratfink and bobwop like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

Also a lot of times people are just gathering as much info on you so that they can steel your identity. If you use the CL email they will ask you to email them or a friend, husband etc from your email, or want a phone number, just gathering info. They put this info together with info from Facebook or forums you belong to to open credit cards in your name or amazon or other accounts and run the bill up.

13. Due to location I buy/sell stuff using the interwebs, and I use paypal all the time. I'm not in the "lower 48", so I can't easily write anyone a cheque, and postal money orders are expensive and a hassle. The scammers are screwing guys like me too because is makes sellers more skeptical (rightly so).

The other side of the coin is guys like me in places that don't have a lot of swap meets etc. send our hard earned dollars out into the universe and hope that parts might show up some day, and they might actually be the parts we ordered.

Doing business online is just like doing business in person. Communicate, use your head, ask questions. If you don't get the right vibe, walk away.

To answer your original question, yes that's a scam.

14. Saxxon

Saxxon

My favorite has been the scenario of the US geologist working on a ship off the coast of Ireland.

This one was buying my 177 Supercharger for a family member in Nova Scotia and the buyer asked if it would be an inconvenience to run it over to the family member. . I'm from Winnipeg . When I mentioned it's about a 3000 mile inconvenience it quickly turned into the 3rd party shipping agent scam. My emails tuned into... In Person, Cash, On a ship in the North Sea ? - Your problem !! In person, Cash.

This one went on for a few weeks. I was impressed with the effort.

belair likes this.
  15. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I think that is why so many people like using the friends and family aspect of Paypal. I don't think that using that is linked to an actual purchase. So if you sell something and they pay with that part of the service, they can't come back later to get their money back. At least I think that is how it works. I personally like using Paypal when buying stuff out of state. But I always use the friends and family part of Paypal.
    And as far as Paypal scams, the one I have heard about is they ask if you have Paypal. If you don't they give you a link to sign up for Paypal. But it isn't a link to Paypal. Its a fake so they can steal all your information. If you do have to sign up for Paypal, go directly to Paypal, do click on any links.

16. Thats an interesting point about not linking the payment to a purchase if you can't get a tracking number to cover yourself, but I would still recommend being cautious.
    I HAVEN'T READ THEIR RULES RECENTLY, BUT WHEN I USED TO USE THEM A WHOLE LOT, THIS WAS THE CASE.....
    I do like the sound of the idea, but any credit card company can still ruin that. IF the paypal payment originates from a credit card.
    Paypal Balance, or the buyer sending money from their linked bank account may be safer, BUT if the buyer uses his credit card for the Paypal payment, I believe you could still be at risk.
    If FOR ANY REASON, including the sender claiming his credit card was lost for a day, if a credit card company decides to pull back the funds for ANY reason that makes sense to THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY, they can pull the funds, where Paypal will have no choice other than tapping into your registered bank account.
    Your idea sounds like a good idea on how to make it less easy for a scammer, but I would still look closely into the credit card companies willingness to do a chargeback later.
    Any card company can still trigger a chargeback procedure which forces Paypal to tap your bank.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  17. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I never thought of that happening. I have only really bought from people off here and the Fordbarn. I did sell some flathead parts to a guy in England using Paypal. Glad I didn't have any problems with him.

18. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I had a new one recently. Whenever I list anything on CL I state that I will not reply to any requests using generic terms like "your item" and a gmail email account will set out an alarm. I also state I will request a phone number to talk directly with the person. The telephone requirement will usually weed out the scammers, they don't want to talk to you. Many scammers have told me they were deaf and can't use a phone. I then tell them to find a hearing person and have them send me their phone number, every time I never hear back from them. Well, the new one was in response to an ad I placed in a well known trade website for a very big ticket item. This website required a phone number, I don't ever post my number in a CL ad. I got a call from a person from Nebraska who left a voice mail so I called back. The guy answered and told him I was calling back about the item I had for sale. He asked the condition and then cut me short saying he'd call me back. OK, I waited a couple of hours and didn't hear back. I thought it was a legitimate party so I called back and had to leave a voice mail. The following morning I got a call from the guy again and when I started to tell who I was he again cut me short and told me he'd have to call me back. Never had a scrammer actually give me his phone number, something else to have to worry about.

19. Sorry to rain on any parades.
    I haven't had any troubles at all in several years. That's good.
    And it's good to hear that most work out well.
    BUT...
    When I was a big time seller, they would come running from all over.
    Good luck. Be awake and aware.
    Sometimes it's a gamble even talking with anyone.
    I am glad that most things work out well, but it also pays to know the possibles too. :)

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

20. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I use paypal all the time for small $ transactions and require tracking numbers when I buy/sell/ship, but any big money such as a vehicle is Bank to Bank transfer only.

21. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I had a guy respond to my ad to explain that he was "currently stationed on a submarine..." Really? you browse craigslist on that sub?

Flathead Dave likes this.
  22. I'm in the military is a big red flag. We are in hyper patriot mode these days and the scammers know it.

I have learned a few questions to ask to determine if a person is actually in the military before I go any farther with them. It amazes me how many scammers do not know about a search engine. What's your MOS? What rank? Where stationed? Firebase, air base or?????Branch?

That is still no guarantee that I am going to work with them. But its a start.

23. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I had a scammer contact me and send me a check, I knowing it was a scam. I got the check which was a badly printed check from a travel agency in New York, the scanner said he was located in Iowa. I had the check for a few days when the scammer started asking me to send the overpaid balance back to him. I kept putting him off. Then he informed me he needed the money because his wife was in a "fatal" accident, was in the hospital and needed the money for treatment. I told him to to tell his wife to hang on for a few days until I could send him the money. I played with this guy for over a week.

24. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Funny thing is that I have been on the other side of the coin...

I was working on a boat and often times I'd check out the craigslist listings when I didn't have anything else to do. I was going to be back in my home town and found a great little car ('51 Studebaker Commander) on craigslist for a fair price and it was just down the street from home. I emailed the guy saying that I wanted it and would be willing to pay cash when I got back in town in two days. He kinda balked, so I offered to make a deposit via paypal to hold the car for two days. All hell broke loose and I was accused of being a scammer, I got reported to paypal with all the baggage that that entails.

I called him as soon as I had phone signal while coming into port and he was flabbergasted that I was, in fact, quite real. He said that he had just sold the car for far cheaper than I had offered. His loss...

25. chopped

chopped

I spent six years in the military, I had a checking account, it's not complicated.

26. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

People still use checks?

27. When suspecting a scammer and they tell you where they are, just reply with-My uncle works on an oil rig in that area, which one are you on ? You won't get a reply.
    Rule of thumb with Paypal - If you are a seller, be prepared to bend over and take it, but having said that, I have bought and sold heaps via paypal, and am still walking straight.
    Everybody - even a Ludite like me- has access to phone these days. If you can't physically talk to them, send them back an email from a Nigerian Princess, she love you long time.

uncle buck likes this.
  28. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Not everyone has access to a phone @36roadster a good part of my career entails going to places on this planet where cell phones are either prohibited or not available at all. The odd thing is that many of these places have decent internet due to mobile satellite systems.

Its an interesting paradox, I make good money, and often have plenty of time to do nothing but online shopping. But, because of the scammers, legitimate guys like me often miss out on good stuff.

29. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

people asking what the scam is: it is this

this is sort of the way this scam works, its not about getting you to sign up though.

when you are paid via paypal, you get an email that says "you have received cash" and in that email is a link to your paypal account. smart people close their email and open their browser and go to paypal themselves to log in and verify the payment, and see it isnt there. dumb people click the link in the email which LOOKS to take them to the paypal home page, but its really a spoofed page. theyenter their login details and it doesnt work, sometimes over and over but once is enough. now they have your paypal login info and access to all of your payment methods. They spend a few minutes sending themselves cash after locking you out of your account.

you are right to be suspicious, real people inspect or call for an inspection, talk to you on the phone at the very least. if its not a high dollar item you can usually tell if you are going to have a problem because scammers dont know anything about cars or parts. they call it "the item" and ask for your "final price". when is the last time you were at a swap meet and someone asked for your "final price"?

when I sell a truck I take $100 deposit via paypal. thats it. the rest is certified funds, wire transfer or cashiers check or cash. shipping is the buyers responsibility, I dont do anything but meet the shipper and I sure dont forward any funds for them

30. rmorris

rmorris

I got the same offer 2 times. He said he was in military and wanted to buy using PayPal..I told him no problem, send me a copy of his military ID and selfie in front of post front gate. No further contact.