Register now to get rid of these ads!

History New England Guys! Anyone recognize this old hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod28AR, Dec 18, 2017.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The really connected guys could tell you who's cat it was. ;)

Jet96, 49ratfink and loudbang like this.
  2. We bought it, we'll either rebuild it ourselves or pass it along to someone who will, either way it is safe! It's rough but there's definitely enough there to work with.

tb33anda3rd, ABONES, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  3. Bump! I got a lead that Jim Kemnitz from the old Otto's Garage in Chesterfield may have had a hand in this car, anyone know how to contact him??

Cliff Ramsdell and gimpyshotrods like this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

And the channeled Deuce 5W on the sticker represents an early Cotton Werksman hot rod. Cotton and Bruce Miller (RIP) started the NSRA likely at the suggestion of Tom Medley. Miller was originally from Illinois, but moved to Oregon, was publishing Street Rod Magazine and Cotton was busy building flatheads and Arduns and I imagine the work of running a national organization got to be a bit much. Gilbert Bugg and Vern Walker bought the rights to it and it became the monolith of today.
    BITD the slogan used to be "Fun With Cars", now it is just "Let's Count The Money!!!"

catdad49 likes this.
  5. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I've seen lots of cool rides out front over the years.......why not just stop by?

6. Next time I'm out that way I'll stop by, doesn't seem like anyone is there lately though.

7. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I go by that place from time to time and think that’s a pretty cool old shop but I don’t think anything has moved in years.

8. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

was just by there this weekend - there was an early c10 with beadlock rear wheels and huge M&Hs on it......

9. mike bowling

mike bowling

Ask Dave Simard or Paul Aldrich about the car if you can find someone on here that knows their contact info. Paul is in the " Ty-Rods" C.C. ,Mass.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  10. I drive by that shop daily....I tend to see activity in that place closer to noon than at other times......go knock on the door

11. gonzo

gonzo

Cool find. I hope it sees the road again.

12. adam401

adam401

I wouldnt mind owning that body hint hint......

mike bowling likes this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yes, it was Tom Medley that 'suggested' it..."Fun With Cars", then "Street is Neat", then "East is Neat".
    A Calif. '40 Pontiac had a similar plate with, "West is Best". (also had NSRA sticker next to it)
    I loved 'Street Rod Magazine', visited Miller in their booth at Father's Day meet in Pomona, 1985.
    Bruce Miller gave me the #1 copy of that mag, I have the whole set, beginning to end. Thanks and R.I.P., Bruce.
    Have to wonder what magazine the perp of this Model A was reading when he set up the body angle.
    Should have put a name on it. "Whoops!" or, "Torch slipped!" Sheesh.

catdad49 likes this.
  14. A Boner

A Boner

It took almost 90 years to get in this condition.....should be able to bring it back in a little less time than that!.....Maybe.

15. I agree! Luckily they reproduce most of the body and door panels. It's certainly rough but I think being an old hot rod it deserves to be fixed.

Squablow likes this.
  16. verde742

verde742

I like it better the way YOU found it, than I do in the picture >>> finished?

17. Finally piecing together the history of this coupe! Jimmy Kemntiz of Otto's Garage bought the car in Colchester during the early 60's. It was a primered slam chopped drag car with a Dodge Hemi, single seat, and a hand brake. Because the car was chopped so low Jimmy cut the entire roof off and replaced with a stock height roof. The car went through a few different variations and colors before he landed on the flamed black job and re-chopped the roof. In 1970 he drove the car to the first NSRA Nationals in Peoria, and subsequent Nationals in Detroit and Tulsa. This photo was taken in 1973 at Tulsa. More to follow!.... Kemnitz Model A Coupe 1973 Natls Tulsa.jpg

Stogy, Squablow, AHotRod and 11 others like this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Dang beat find. Love hearing the history on old cars .:cool:

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  19. AHotRod

AHotRod

How about an update Dean?

Stogy likes this.
  20. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I have that same sticker on the back window of my 57.

21. gonzo

gonzo