Register now to get rid of these ads!

History PARNELLI JONES supermodified, circa 1960

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frames, Jul 29, 2015.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks a ton Frames, that may end up on a future project. I REALLY like it, especially with the white wheels!

2. Frames

Frames

WHY? Because of the sponsor Vels Ford. [ a dealership] Vel Melitich and Parnelli were best friends and even business partners when building Indy cars later. By the way they DID NOT run alcohol [ an asset for cooling and more horsepower] like the Chevys ran. Never overheated.

3. Frames

Frames

I finished in time to run the Darlington vintage race car show 2008. Shakedown. Ran with the pack over 100 MPH.

4. rgardne70

rgardne70

Car won 9 main events in 1960 with four different drivers at two tracks. Parnelli won 3 at Ascot early in the year before vacating the car to drive USAC. Bobby Hogle then won once at Ascot. Also Marvin Porter was victorious at Ascot. Jack Clegg put the car in victory lane four times at Balboa Stadium. In regards to the comment about the car burning to the ground in Mobile, Alabama, that was incorrect. It was actually the Peat Brothers T being driven by Don Hamilton, that burned in Mobile. That occurred in 1967.

5. Frames

Frames

Thanks for all the accurate information. as for the 2 hambers that told me about the fire. one said Lover boy was driving. And how the hell can you confuse the Peat Bros T with the 97. I saw what I thought was the Peat Bros. T when it was painted red 1969. I don't think it was yellow in 1967. Am I right?

6. k9racer

k9racer

How I got the info. I was busy in Viet Nam so I was not able to attend. Several friend's sent me letters and some news paper articles about the races back home. I might have got confused about the car but I know it was from calif. I guess I should have confirmed this with Hila last time I was on Stock Island. Sorry about the miss statement as I said I did not attend this race. After all this happened almost 50 years ago, Frames yo do nice work.. Thank You Bobby.

7. WOW....Beautiful build....awesome detail!

8. Frames

Frames

9. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Frames ; Thanks for the "bump'! Any tech info on the motor?

10. Last photo of the first post says .40" over 312.

I would like to know more about that Y Block, as well. Nothin' better than an ol' Y Block!!!

11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I meant a "tech" report of the motor build, not just ".40 over 312"(that was .040?)

12. Yea, at .40" over, I think it would have liquid cooled pistons!!!

I did a few days of searching on this car a month or so ago. I wasn't able to find much of anything on it. Not even photos.

13. Frames

Frames

I usually don't spend much money on my engines. .040 over 312 Egge pistons. Grant rings. Stock EC- G heads. Isky track grind cam. 573 intake with Stromberg 48's. Schiefer flywheel. I did go over board $ on the aluminum water pump and the aluminum timing cover. I wanted this car very light. 1,540 LBS wet with that heavy engine and heavy transmission. I had a Joe Hunt HEI look a like magneto. It was junk right out of the box. I changed to a Mallory Unilite.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A great piece of racing history.
    I bought a 62 Chevy11 from Vels Ford in Torrance in 64. The had a few lots back then and the dealership on Hawthorne Blvd.

15. I love the look of the ramp truck/race car combo also. If that car only weighed 1600 lbs, I would guess it was actually pulled to the races on a 2 wheel trailer, maybe behind a '59 Ford station wagon(or similar wagon) to carry extra tires and parts. A wagon could haul more guys a lot more comfortably when traveling long distances, too. Hey 'Frames' please correct me if I'm wrong, just guessing on my end. I'd take that thing for a blast every chance I'd get!!

16. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

I know its an old thread, but everytime I see one of your projects, I just have to say wow! im a big fan of the old sprints, mods, and midgets.

17. That looks like a Chevrolet car torque tube adapted to the Ford transmission, correct?
    upload_2019-1-16_12-20-8.png
    upload_2019-1-16_12-19-44.png

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  18. I've never really been a follower of sprint car racing, but i like nicely detailed builds. This whole build is beyond cool. nice thread

19. Y.... Not? :p
    :rolleyes:

20. Frames

Frames

Sharp eyes. That's what they used way back when. How many people know that?

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  21. Frames

Frames

bttt for guys who have not seen this thread.

tractorguy likes this.
  22. Frames

Frames

In Wisconsin back in 1960 all were HOME BUILT. This picture [ Home built Henry J ] is from about 1956-57 when the cars were just transistioning from the coupes to the modifieds. I built my 1st modified in 1963. Bennie Pritzl won the U S 141 championship in 1964 with it. Here it is. [ The coupe ] I am rebuilding it for the 1965 season. 1 img344.jpg E W R A.jpg 965 the field was flooded with S B C's. Bennie stayed with the Olds engine and finished 2nd in points.

tractorguy likes this.
  23. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

24. Frames

Frames

You are absolutely correct. I have a picture of Parnelli and Don Shepard pushing the car off a single axle trailer. Don't remember the tow vehicle.