Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Windsor vs 350sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meshach, Jan 13, 2018.

1. synchro7

synchro7

It's easy to tell a 221,260 and early 289 from a late 289, 302 and 351. Count the bellhousing bolts, 221,260 and early 289 have 5, the others have 6. Mine is an early 5 bolt 289.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$750, with a transmission and axle. Unload both for $150, and you have a $450 Y-Block.

3. You don't even have to do that; the five bolt uses 3/8-16 bolts to hold the bellhousing on, the six bolt uses 7/17-14. The five bolt needs a 9/16" wrench, six bolt is 5/8"....

4. KKrod

KKrod

the sbf was a popular engine in late 60's through 1980 in ford street rods.

5. Deuces

Deuces

I can....
    Because I put one together for my o/t fox car... It almost looks like a monster under the hood...:eek::rolleyes:

Runnin shine likes this.
  6. Adran

Adran

Kinda weird how the SBF developed over time. They were already putting the 260 in Cobras in the early '60s, so even back then they knew it had some performance potential. Interesting how it was eclipsed by the FE, 385 and Cleveland during the muscle car years, yet managed to outlast all of them in the end. There were always performance versions of the SBF at any given time, but factory heads from that early era were real turds, so it probably discouraged a lot of people from building them.

bchctybob and Runnin shine like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

I use the Windsor because it is narrower and the dist is in the front in my Morris
    Minor builds. I use small block Chevies in anything they will fit in. I use big blocks when someone wants a lot of torque or the wow factor when they open the hood.
    I have a line on 2 nailheads. Would like to have one in a front engine dragster.

mad mikey and Runnin shine like this.
  8. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

Ain't that the Truth!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Runnin shine likes this.
  9. Ford in a Ford?.....what a novel concept!
    Over the years, I've seen a sbc put in EVERYTHING.....I understand about "affordability", but when was the last time you saw a Ford motor in a Chevy
    or any other make as far as that goes
    Guess I'm more Old school and brand loyal....yet it's great to see a rod or even a GM product with a Buick, Olds, Cad or even a Pontiac motor between the rails
    Nothing wrong with "Not" following the crowd....be unique and different in your own way.....

Sent from my LGMS210 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RacingRoger and meshach like this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Last night coincidentally, my closest car buddy offered me his left over 355 motor(went 9.90s) from his last mustang he sold with a 431 he’s going with a 540bbc he has laying around with twin turbos in his 65 Chevelle.
    I turned him down, mans gotta have principles you know

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. S10_37

S10_37

Found out that my 351w and AOD cost more for parts and for some reason people are reluctant to post there stash of parts

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. topher5150

topher5150

I'm going to use a Ford for a few reasons
    1. I only ever worked on Fords
    2. SBC has become a cliché
    3. I thought it would be kind of cool to make a car like my dad was going to make, all Ford.

bigblockfordman and RacingRoger like this.
  13. Drew Link

Drew Link

I think using an engine "family" can be traditional. As was said before, the Windsor engine was brought about in the early 60's. Heck I am using an FE (390) in my T, that family started in the 50's but was in production until 76 does that mean it isn't traditional? I say run what you bring! It's a hot rod, a smashing of parts that originally didn't go together which equals a whole bunch of fun!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Well one day after I finish my 53 I will build a coupe and slap a flathead in it, who knows hit the lottery and drop 30K+ on a Ardun head build. If I built a 30s chevy, Hudson, dodge, etc I would put a Ford flathead in it. 30s Ford coupes demand a premium especially 32-34 but the others seem to be priced within out atmosphere. Model As are always a choice as well.

15. A Hudson build with a Ford 300 would be pretty awesome in my opinion as well especially considering the history of the engine

16. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

My 55 Chevy 2dr post had a 427 FE engine, my 34 Ford Cabriolet has a 402 Raush, 27 T has a 406 three carb FE, and my 34 Chevy 5w Master Coupe has an 2003 Mercury Marauder 4.6 dohc. The only sbc is in our 1941 Ross fork lift, I guess it's traditional.

RacingRoger, Atwater Mike and meshach like this.
  17. wow I would like to see pictures of the 55 chevy, that has to stir the pot a bit lol

spiffy1937 likes this.
  18. RmK57

RmK57

I'd like to see the expressions on peoples faces when you pop the hood at an all chevy car show!

spiffy1937 and meshach like this.
  19. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Carrol Shelby used the 260 Ford engine in the first Cobra's because he couldn't work a deal out with Chevrolet for their engines. Chevrolet didn't want the competition for their Corvette.

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it's a good idea if your putting it in a tri 5 Chevy.

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

What was the question again?:D

49ratfink likes this.
  22. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

If you are afraid to go fast, use the SBC. If you have big balls, go FORD!

RacingRoger and Runnin shine like this.
  23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

A local Ford guy in the 70s built a Windsor for his dirt track car. He used a 351 block and crankshaft. Offset ground the crankshaft to increase the stroke. He used 348 Chevy rods narrowed to fit the journals. 350 Chevy pistons. He put Chevy 202 valves in the heads and made his own fly cutter to cut valve reliefs in the pistons.

He said he found out that the way to make a Ford fast was to put enough Chevy parts in it. Then he switched to Chevy engines in his race cars.

Budget36, 6-bangertim and mad mikey like this.
  24. SHOTS FIRED lol
    While I’m currently partial to the blue oval (it’s what I own) seems as though the engine builders I talk to now a days have said just tell me where you want the distributor lol. They almost all start with dart blocks and then after market internals your choice and heads likewise.

Runnin shine likes this.
  25. Weird in the 70s there were plenty of performance options for Fords such as Cleveland or Clevor builds.

26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I think a guy should do whatever he thinks is best for him, what he likes, has, fits,or can afford. That being said, looking at a primo early Ford, seeing a Windsor or an FE in the engine compartment always puts a smile on my face. Bones

Runnin shine and meshach like this.
  27. Adran

Adran

That makes a lot of sense. It had weight on its side, but was down on cubic inches and the Chevy was a proven performer by then. It wouldn't likely have been any racer's #1 choice at the time.

28. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Ive raced for 25 years with 351W, Clevors, G351 blocks, Ernie Elliot top end kits etc. Anyone that says it costs more to build a Ford hasn’t done it. Had a Y block laid back for my ‘32 project but decided it was too heavy and too hard to get parts for out on the road. Switched my plan to a 302 roller engine. Will look old but be new inside with commonly available parts.
    SPark

Attached Files:

29. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

And in Morris Vans. lol New 289/271 HP. Started building it in '65.

Attached Files:

deathrowdave and meshach like this.