Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects C4 Speedom Cable to 46 speedom in dash

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sweet & Low, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

I thought I might have found something in the HAMB Search regarding my question but couldn't bring it up.
    I just bought a 46 w SBF and C4 trans but no speedometer cable from trans to the dash. Rough measurement is in the 60" range. Does someone make these with the correct gears on the cable or do I need to go to the Speedometer shop and have one made?

2. Had mine made up by a HAMB member. Speedoservice in Colorado. Same application. 47 with C4.

3. I've always just had them made, I'm not aware of anybody selling premade 'swap cables'. As to 'gears', you'll need to know rear axle ratio and tire diameter in order to select the correct number of teeth on the trans end gear to get reasonable accuracy. There's also two different helix 'twists' on the gears, you need to know which 'direction' the twist is.

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've seen an adapter that uses the early Ford screw on cable and the Ford C4 style push in gear. They are usually on eBay for around $40.

5. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

I have the speedway C-4 kit in my 53, don't know if it is special speedo hook up. The stock speedo cable worked perfect.

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’m sure a 65 Mustang uses standard 5/8 thread nut on speed o end and push in standard c4 end on the trans end . Should be able to get on of these easily

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. The 47 speedometer, and I'm sure the 46, used an inverted flare type nut (male thread), not standard nut.

3340 likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking them up both the 66 mustang and the 46 use a nut on the back of the speedo but one would have to make sure of the size. Ford pickup from the early 60's with a C-4 might work too.
    Poking around this site shows that Ford used the screw on to the back of the speedo cable housing up into the mid or late 60's https://cgfordparts.com/index.php

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I used a stock Ford cable for C4 to stock 53 F100 speedo. Worked great.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Mid 60s galaxie should work,thats what I used in my 55 sunliner when I put the 351/C-4 in it.

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

As stated same thread on speedometer until ford stopped using threaded connection. I just looked on the worlds greatest auction sight there are many different lengths listed with both correct ends that you will be needing . Just try to get an accurate length measurement . I always use a piece of weed eater string to get this type of measurement seems to work pretty well . There is a push in speed o cable adapter that is for speed sensor usage . Using one of these on the trans end will allow you to use a threaded cable on both ends and not have to remove the push in cable if any trans maintence is ever needed . The cable I always used with this type of adapter is from a GM , a Camero just don’t tell anyone you ever heard me using BowTie parts on my Ford !

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  12. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Thanks Much for the info guy's. Much appreciated.

13. Picture of nut for the early Ford Speedometer. I checked back on my email order to Rusty at Speedoservice, I ordered the cable with the 47 speedo end and C4 at transmission end, and 62" long. Price at that time was under $40.

1947 speedo nut.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018