Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carpenter/Real Deal Steel 40 Coupe Questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graybeard, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Graybeard

Graybeard
    from BC

Has anyone had experience with the Carpenter/Real Deal Steel '40 Coupe body? I've never had the chance to see one in person, let alone lay hands on it. Are they the same quality (for example) as the United Pacific 5-window or a Brookville body? Or are they really bad?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  2. alchemy

alchemy

I saw one a few years ago at a vendor's booth. It looked really nice, but I wasn't trying to bolt anything up to it. It looked smooth, tight, and from what I could see, accurate. And I've owned a 40 Ford for 35 years now.

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked over the one Dennis Carpenter had in their booth at the Louisville Nats a couple of years ago, an exact copy of my 5 window coupe. Very nice in every detail.

4. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I did see recently where the price has also dropped about $1500-$2000.

Graybeard and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Graybeard likes this.
  6. patterg2003

patterg2003

The a difference between the original and the new body is an added seam in the front fender that was put there to form the front fender. I bought the Street Rodder Guide to building a '40 Ford. The SR Guide build is based on the Dennis Carpenter body and from that stand point is a good book. The builders filled the seam so that the fender matched the original. The biggest plus is starting with a rust free body that would save a lot of hours if the body work is being done by professionals. It would also save times in terms of life of tearing an original apart to weld in repairs and get it to the paint stages. It is a decision based on how one wants to build and finance the build.
    I was looking for a more detailed restoration guide to help me reassemble my 40 Ford that is missing floors etc. to get the details on the body assembly and panel connections. Thanks & appreciation to Sam, The 39 guy for the detailing of his $0 coupe build. His thread has given me a great insight into the work I have to do. I live hours away from any large center and very remote for any support. First thing I am going to have to do is make a road trip to visit a 40 Ford so that I can put my eyes on the details especially at the body to floor pans. I pretty much have figured most of it out and once I set eyes on something then I get it. Next falls work. This springs work is running gas to the garage for heat.
    This is the link to the Sam's (The 39 guy) build thread.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/a-40-ford-coupe-for-uncle-mike-build-thread.949053/

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Graybeard

Graybeard
    from BC

Thanks for all of the info and insight. I really appreciate it! I had '40 coupe project awhile back, and I eventually sold it (it wasn't that nice...L-O-L ....and I would have been upside down in bodywork). I'd like to have another one, and with the pricing on the repro it might be a pretty good deal for me -- particularly if it's accurate and nice (which it sounds to be). Thanks again!

OzyRodder and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Another improvement over the original is that the driver's door is set up for a lock cylinder.

9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I got the tour of the body at Frog Follies a few years back. I would think there is definitely a niche in the hobby/ market for it. If you need EVERYTHING else too that’s gonna run up the $$$$ real quick and you still need a hood as those are not being stamped.

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've looked at the Carpenter body and it's nice. I look at it a little different that if I was looking for a forty there's been several really nice rust free complete coupes on the market lately that were reasonably priced, that way I could start with everything I need? I wanted a deuce 5 window and bought a UPAC body but decided to sell it and ended up building an original bodied car. Nothing beats the real thing.

Squablow and Shamus like this.
  11. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

This was at Hershey in 2012. 100_6735.jpg 100_6736.jpg

12. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Detroit Autorama, 2013. The hood was an original ( like i.rant said). I never noticed until looking at these pictures again that there are no holes for the trim, except in the cowl. 100_8020.jpg

13. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I know the shop that builds the bodies. I have been there and toured the facility. First class guys and first class product. As close as you can get to original with today's technology.

14. Any idea how many of those bodies have been sold or manufactured? Real tempting for me to get one to take the place of the rotted-out tudor body I have, but getting all the small pieces like window regulators, garnish moldings, seat, etc. that aren't the same as a tudor's have me scratching my head.

Graybeard likes this.
  15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Unfortunately I never seen one in person but I have not read any negative reports on the quality or accuracy of the body. They look like an excellent replica. I think they make it a practical choice for people that don't want to or can't do their own panel replacements and body work.

Their are an awful lot of parts that you will to need acquire to finish one of these bodies off but fortunately a lot of them are available in the aftermarket these days. I don't think anyone is making the window garnish and the hoods are not available new yet. I haven't seen anything about someone thinking about making a hood yet either. Joel (HAMBER) has recently purchased a set of rear fenders and was happy with the quality. They needed very little work to prep for paint.

Graybeard likes this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

I not sure dollars-wise it makes sense to start a build with one, even-time-wise you'd have to track every part needed to complete it, but if you had a '40 that was rusted out, beat up, etc, you probably have all he parts to complete one..then I could see it being a big time saver and probably money saver as well, in the long run if you had to pay someone to fix what you have.

Graybeard likes this.
  17. Yutan/graybeard You can call Real Deal Steel at 407-585-1957. Ask for Joe, he is my nephew and will answer all your questions. It is sole only through Dennis Carpenter but Joe (His shop) builds the bodies.

kidcampbell71 and Graybeard like this.
  18. Graybeard

Graybeard
    from BC

Thank You!

19. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I bought Dennis Carpenter 1940 Ford Body #3 for my Boss that owns Ford dealerships in the NC area. I have in the past spent much time cutting up 2 or 3 rust buckets to make one 1939 / 1940 coupe. The doors and trunk were prehung and fit nice. The rear fenders fit the repop body nice. The seam in the front fender and 2 seams in the windshield post - not too bad to fill or in the case of the front fenders - it was cut out and flush welded. No hoods are available or garnish trim molding. I bought a nice - really nice deluxe hood, complete deluxe grill - dash and had to buy 2 sets of interior garnish trim to pick through for a good fit. The original hood and repo body were cut to make the hood fit nice.

Bobby Alloway build this 1940 Ford for us and it was revealed at SEMA last month. This car was modified to allow a Boss 429 engine and aggressive wheel/tire combo for the "Alloway" look. This was what the owner wanted.
    I think if Carpenter / Real Deal makes hoods - they will "make it all fit" like the doors and trunk lid does. The modifications to this body (except the hood fitting - perhaps ) would have been needed for an original car due to the over-all design of the owners desire. If and small block Ford or Chevy, has installed - this Carpenter body would have needed very little modifications. Our next Bobby Alloway project will be a Boss 429 in a 1952 Ford Vicky on an Art Morrison full chassis. I will still continue to build my be-loved traditional 1939 and 1940 Fords in my home garage. It is really fun however to live in both "worlds" and Bobby Alloway is a super builder and great gentleman to do business.

20. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I've got a 40 sedan that i've been working on for way too long, but the pics of the Carpenter body look really good, all those pressings look right, apart from that firewall...
    Tha Alloway Coupe is really nice as well, tho' I'm not into big rims, but it aint my car.

jim snow, MIKE STEWART and Graybeard like this.
  21. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

The picture has the recessed firewall, but I think you could a get a stock one also.

22. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Yes they do - I got the big block recess firewall - it still have to be more recessed.

23. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

A beautiful 40 for sure!Tastefully done by Alloway! She's not HAMB friendly but beautiful none the less.

Graybeard likes this.
  24. Graybeard

Graybeard
    from BC

I agree on that gorgeous '40. Thanks for sharing.

25. Beautifully done 40 (except for those gag-me wheels)

Graybeard likes this.
  26. stonemck

stonemck
    from Anna, TX

When are you starting the 52 project. I just started mine and contemplating doing an Art Morrison. Its my understanding they dont make one to exactly fit....needs to be modified.

Any pics yet?