Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this Offenhauser part called?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Jan 10, 2018.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

There is a difference between being "Adult" and being brain dead.

Hnstray likes this.
  2. topher5150

topher5150

I know very few adults that think they are cool

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Hey, I was cool once.............err.......well I think I was.........maybe lukewarm..........andyd

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

Agreed^
    To me they always looked like the high performance equivalent of mud flaps and a wolf whistle on a gook wagon.

5. Interesting that most of the derogatory comments about these Offy adaptors come from those who have not any experience with them.........granted they may not be the most efficient intake around but they were & are better than nothing............or maybe not..........anyway I drive a Dodge so what would I know...lol..........andyd

DOCWHIT likes this.
  6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well do you have any timing slips to compare the cross ram adapters with the single four you are now running? As far as looking cool to an adult. This is looking.pretty cool to this 74 year old kid. Lots of ram effect. No bling. Just stuff for a reason .jpg

DOCWHIT, hendelec and gimpyshotrods like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have experience with attempting to use devices that ultimately reduce velocity in the intake tract, resulting in poor fuel metering, especially at low speeds.

Unless you are running the correct camshaft, and cam timing, to prevent intake reversion, and have numerically high enough gears to keep you in the RPM range where the inefficiency is overcome, lengthening your runners, and increasing your plenum volume almost always kills low-end power. Do you need your street car to make good power at 7500, especially if it means that you have to rev it to 3200 to get it off-the-line?

Tacking mismatched components together is not a tuning strategy.

I'm sticking with Rich on what is cool. Flashpoint is all business. I even got to start it once!

D-Russ and hendelec like this.
  8. Aw come on.... isn't a visual effect one of the most important aspects of a hot rod? Not every hot rodder races but nearly every one likes to have an engine that looks like it. There are a lot of cars out there with components on them that were built for racing but cost performance on a street driven car. Its just a hobby for most of us, the end results are aesthetics over performance.
    Maybe that makes me a poser, I really don't care.

DOCWHIT likes this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most cars need to be able to leave the line at a stoplight, and/or climb a hill.

10. I am sure a cross ram would not preclude that car from leaving from a stoplight. He might have to crank it up to 4k.......:rolleyes:

pitman likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Totally practical for nowhere but a drag strip, or for use with a push truck.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Back in the old days, and I guess still now. We had what we called "Show cars." They had lots of outlandish shinny parts on them to wow the onlookers. Now they might be "Fairgrounds queens" If that is what you want, more power to you. For me, the reasons for modifying an engine would be to increase mileage, increase longevity, or increase power. Of these three only "Increase power" interests me. It's more fun going fast than getting a couple of more miles per gallon. Slowing it down and reducing mileage to provide bling will never make my list.

zzford likes this.
  13. pitman

pitman

C'mon Rich, recall the Hot Rod cover pic, of the BBC powered rail framed T bucket? The one w/ 2 6-71 blowers? 1970 or thereabouts. Gorgeous, as was the long haired blonde passenger. If he want to.play with tuning it, let's see what results!

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

those would look really cool on the wall next to a 2-1bbl adapter for a 4bbl intake.... on a car? not on mine.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My daily-driver Falcon has an engine that I modified for economy, and longevity, but that it is because it is a daily-driver.

My Model A, on the other hand, getting a 6-71 blown Chrysler 354 Hemi. It will be all business-class fast.

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes. There a always have been show cars and there always will be. The Barris Snake Pit comes to mind.. Promoted as being a Land Speed car. Ridiculous. It's a poser. Like the Munster cars and the Batmobile. It's entirely possible that atch wants yo play with the cross rams and see what he can do with them. Dosen't sound like that in his posts. But it's his car and he gets to do what he want's with it. This is my opinion and I get to do what I want with it.

XXL__ likes this.
  17. I just thought people were getting a little serious, I know when I had these things 40yrs ago I was learning as I went, didn't always understand what I learnt but eventually some things sunk in........but I was young & silly so it took a while & as it still does, the education was tempered by the amount of funds etc that could be put towards the endeavour................I used to go to the street rod drags in the 70's( you wouldn't want to know what the slips were, lol) tho' the cross rams didn't last long enough to be run there, the car was & is what i could afford, it isn't a red 32 Ford nor a show car...........tho' it has been in a few state title shows as part of a club entry, but has never won anything nor was expected to..........but its my car, built by me and owned by me for 45 odd years............it would be nice to get to the salt, the GNRS and even some of the tier one Oz runs & shows but its not always possible..............anyway my apologies for mentioning my experience with these Offy adaptors, they obviously are not what real hotrodders use...................lol.............Andy Douglas

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

Look to me it has all of the down side of a tunnel ram and very few of the advantages of one.

19. zzford

zzford

This is why I have preferred a car with the early flavor, but newer performance up grades. I like disc brakes, a good performance automatic and a potent small block. To me, hot rods have always be performance oriented first, and appearance an important second.

20. southerncad

southerncad

OK, I'll say it, what the Hell, ATCH, it's your car, do what you like, to Hell with what anyone else here thinks or likes. And once you do it if YOU don't like it change to some thing YOU like...I'm done:rolleyes:

21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Ollie Morris designed these along with some tunnel ram pieces that were easy to bolt on and were designed to be cool! I think that there was a SBC with the cross ram pieces that was set up on the dyno to impresss the magazine guys.

Say what you want, but “cool” sold like crazy in the seventies.