Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Steel Wheel Tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheelkid, Jun 16, 2006.

1. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to bring up an old thread,
    Iam looking for some early Ford 16X4.5 with 5on5.5 BP for my 30 Tudor. I have found a couple that are in good shape but they have the truck style boly holes (bump out towards the outside of the wheel instead of dimpled in like the car ones-hope that makes scense) and they have no stampings of any sort on them. No Ford markings or KH markings or date stamps. Are these an aftermarket wheel or from something else? Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Jordan

2. alchemy

alchemy

Doesn't make much difference how the boly holes look, if it is the correct size and accepts the right cap, it will work. Not many guys care if the boly holes are innies or outties.

3. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Boly holes" HAHAHA!! Sorry, I missed my typo there. I wasnt overly concerned about the bolt hole style, just trying to describe them as best I could to try and see if they are Ford or not. Every ever Ford steel wheel I have seen has a Ford or FoMoCo stamp. I dont have any caps yet to check with. Guess I will have to start by getting caps and see how they fit. Thanks for your help.
    Jordan

4. Major Woody

Major Woody

Hello everyone!
    Just returned from the junkyard with three 6J 15 wheels off an '84 Econoline 150. I plan to use these wheels for the outer hoops only. The fourth wheel on the van was MIA, so I'll need to locate another one to match, and because I will be switching inners, the hoop IDs will all need to be identical with an ID of approximately 12.75".

[​IMG]

Markings on these rims are:
    Ford oval
    15 X 6J
    K1 84
    E 30
    I figure K1 84 is manufacturing info and date.

What I am wondering is what other Fords would have run this wheel? I'd like to make my search a little easier by narrowing down the list of what vehicles I'm looking for.

Thanks very much for whatever help you can provide!

5. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I have some 9 1/2" dog dish Ford caps. I have wheels that need a larger cap and wheels where these caps are too large. :) So how many different sizes were made in wheels for the dog dish caps?? These are all "outies" that I'm referring.

6. Pete'sPony....hey pics always helps us old fomogoee's....

7. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Sure, but aren't my measurements clear enough?? I have no pics of these things at the time.

8. partzpal

partzpal

I've got the 15'' Ford steel wheels and would like help decoding the wheels if anyone can help. The wheels are 15x5.5'' as listed with the Fomco stamp and an M stamped near along with F & 2 near the valve stem and 3 D 19. There's also a spot of yellow & green paint on the backside as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

9. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

On the front of my 27 and on the front of my 23 I used 46-48 Merc 15 inch wheels. They are only 5 inches wide and have the nubs for the hubcaps on the inside, so 40-48 hubcaps fit. I understand 49-50 Merc wheels are similar, but have the nubs on the outside, so the caps snap over those, ala 50 Merc type hubcaps.

I just found two wheels at Turkey Run that I had powder coated and am going to run on my rpu. They are 56 Ford Pickup wheels, 15 x 5 wide with the 5.5 bolt pattern. They are a better width for the 5:60 front tires I am running. I originally had some repop wheels but they are 5 1/2 wide and ballooned the tires out too much to look right.

This is a good thread, very informative.

Don

11. Great Thread thanks for all the info.

12. 117harv

117harv

13. J7771

J7771

I have a question. I seen where it was posted that ford never made an 8 inch wide steel wheel? I have 3 I had them sand blasted and repainted but having trouble finding a 4th. After being blasted you could see them stamped ford 8 inch I have no idea what they came off of my dad had them they are going on my 71 shortwide if I can find a 4th any help is appreciated

14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford offered 15" and 16" steelies on their half-ton trucks from '49-'64. They were 5 on 5 1/2 with the little knobs on the inside of the centers. They accepted '40-'48 Ford factory hubcaps, one reason streetrodders use them. Widths were 5, 5 1/2, and 6, depending on year.

15. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe '64 was the last year for the "early" steelie on Ford trucks that is so popular. Anybody disagree ? Agree ?

16. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On that idea, you can build a 15x4 on 5 1/2 with Ford centers and early '60s Rambler American outers. I had the only set in the early '70s on the front of my '34 sedan with 185x80x15 tires. Decades later, Wheel Vintiques offered them for $170 a pop. Today they should cost one around $60 a piece to build, including welding. A pro should do the welding !

17. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 15" early Ford "steelie" wheel we all love and use has a 12 5/8 O.D. center, and the only hoop with a 12 5/8 I.D. that I am aware of is the early '60s Rambler American which is 4" wide. Makes a really neat front wheel.

Chucky likes this.
  18. Ive got asset of 14 inch wheels that my dad had . ford Pk bolt pattern. he claimed they came off a mercury. I always assumed they where implement wheels. There is lots farm equiptment around that have ford truck lug pattern and the wheels appear to be WWII military surplus.

19. Tim Tobin

Tim Tobin

would anyone know what the center hub hole diameter might be for a 53 mercury Monterey any help would be great

20. rdlillemoen

rdlillemoen

21. rdlillemoen

rdlillemoen

22. Jake_shake

Jake_shake

I know this is a old thread but can anyone help ID these, no “bumps” for center caps so I’m thinking they are quite a bit newer than what most of this post is directed at but they are 5x4.5 bolt circle and clearly ford, haven’t measured width but have a L78-15’s mounted on them. I only got 2 so I would like to know what to look for to find another 2 to match mabey narrower and google hasn’t turned up much [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Scramboleer likes this.
  23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think they are from later models.....i. e. From the very late ‘80s / early ‘90s full size Fords....small caps weren’t used on those as best I recall.

Jake_shake likes this.
  24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Some research may unveil the codes around the valve stem. I know when collecting Gm ralley wheels, Kelsey Hayes has their system of date and application code stamped by the valve stem and near the lug nuts.

Jake_shake and Hnstray like this.
  25. tim troutman

tim troutman

have an 87 crown vic wagon parts car that had aluminum wheels had a wheel like that for the spare

26. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Help me out, please, because lately things aren't quite hitting the way I want them to.

I bought these really nice Lincoln hubcaps, but they don't want to fit my current wheels. They don't want to "bite" on the rim, but I don't think they're hitting the center of the wheel - they did on the Merc wheels in the stash.

I don't know what my wheels are, they are NOT the stock '51 Ford wheels.

Grandpa replaced them with something...

No pics of the current wheels because I'm at work and I forgot to take one.

Question is:

Do these wheelcovers require a specific wheel?

I've not had this issue with any other hubcaps except for some '56 Cadillac ones.

Thanks IMG_20190126_181829_070.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H932 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Without a photo, I’ll go for the obvious. Are the wheels 16”, because those wheel covers are for 15s. No offense intended

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  28. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Yeah, everything's 15" - I probably shoulda put that in there. :confused: hahaha!

29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A photo of the wheel(s) in question would help immensely.....

we'll wait.........;)

30. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

The wheel in question.

There's no numbers or anything that I can find on the outside. Boring 15" steel wheel. 20190130_160756.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H932 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app