Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F1 Steering Box: Pitman arm question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FlatJan, Jan 12, 2018.

1. FlatJan

FlatJan

Hi,

i have an issue concerning the pitman arm.
    The original F1 arm fits the box fine, but brings a forged-on ball for old style drag link.
    what i wanna use is a self made drag link with modern tie rod ends..so F1 pitman arm is not working.
    i also do have a xx-3590 40´ish pitman arm but the inner spline/ripping moves this arm to 45° compared to the F1-arm-position when steering is centered. This will cause end to end problems
    What is wrong or which part do i have to use to make it work?

thanks

ClarkH likes this.
  2. sdroadster

sdroadster

To use your 35-40 style pitman arm, use smallish 3 cornered file and cut a groove in the wide sections of spline. Your pitman arm will then fit in any location.

ct1932ford and ClarkH like this.
  3. That is exactly what I did^^^^^ I used a small triangular file, worked great

ClarkH likes this.
  4. FlatJan

FlatJan

good idea, i´ll try that
    :) thanks

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have helped with a few the same way . Easy job , just take it slow and it will be good to go

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for this thread! I need to deal with this same issue myself. Ironically, using an F-1 box I bought from Chris a couple years ago. I am constantly amazed by solutions presenting themselves on the Hamb right when I need them.

66ragtop likes this.
  7. bct

bct

When I did mine I started it with a hack saw . When I was satisfied that I was dead center I switched to the file.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hack saw??!? I'd have STARTED it with the file, then the 'shaky offset teeth' of the saw...or just left the hacksaw where it was.

Huck a facksaw.

9. bct

bct

To each their own. I used a fine tooth hacksaw to score a line to guide my file. Rather than have the file skate to one side or the other.

10. A file worked fine for me too.

11. IMG_5131.JPG Can someone point out what I've missed here?

I'm unsure which pitman arm I've used but it seems to work fine with the F1 box without modifying the internal splines.

We did adjust the angle of the drag link by welding up the tapered tie rod mounting hole and redrilling (tapered reamer) so the tie rod now end enters from the outboard side.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018