Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Buzzin’ Half Dozen

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jan 12, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Buzzin’ Half Dozen

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

loudbang, edcodesign, Rcraft and 12 others like this.
  2. That's bad ass Joey.

It's a shame nobody builds anything like that anymore.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It takes to little guys to give the big guys someone to race. I live in SW Iowa and there is a popular dirt track at Corning Iowa. A guy that raced at the track in the sixties, Dusty Whitehead (RIP) built race motors for the local guys for years. My father in law asked him if the big guys (out of Omaha, NE) were just playing with them, his response was "we make 'em earn their money":)

A friend of mine, when he was still in high school (or maybe just starting college) (1960 or so) had graduated from a Model A Roadster gasser with a Chevy motor to a Renault using the same motor as
    it was a little lighter. He got to race Pete Robinson at a track in Macon GA near his home. I guess he made Pete "earn his money" too:) My friend said it wasn't much of a race:)

I've got a high school friend that is my age (73) that tries to race in the open class in the aforementioned Corning Iowa track. He has no sponsors that I know of. I asked him if he was going to keep racing and he said "yep, I love going into turn one":) He makes 'em earn their money too and has fun doing it!

loudbang, tractorguy and catdad49 like this.
  4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It was several years ago that I had a GMC powered coupe. Still some at Bonneville and El Mirage. Maybe the mile airport trials also.

Attached Files:

loudbang, catdad49, J.Ukrop and 6 others like this.

5. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

I'd like to build a drag car like that someday.

loudbang likes this.
  6. BlackJackPG

BlackJackPG
    from Idaho!

I've got a street going Buzzin Half Dozen! 1940 Chevrolet Coupe w/ built 270 and dual Zeniths. Saginaw 4 speed, 55-62 Chevy 1/2 ton rear with 3.38s and 750 tires, cruises at 75 all day. Driven across the USA 3 times now!

Attached Files:

7. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Great story! It reminded me of my cousin's 270 powered '49 Chev 2-dr. It ran a big cam, hot ignition, dual carbs. Man that thing was fun to ride in. There really wasn't anything in our town that could keep up with it - even an Olds-powered coupe. This was before the '55 Chevy's came out, and then you could buy a car right off the showroom floor that was as fast, or faster than anything you could build. Kinda ruined the hot-rod scene for the home builder.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Gotta love the sixes.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ebbspeed has a 1950 Chevy with a GMC 302, and has another one sitting on the engine stand. He just had some hardware removed from his leg and will be off his feet for a while so maybe he'll respond by posting a picture or two for us.

Note that me (Ebbsspeed) and Brian (Ebbspeed) are two different people. Ebb's is an acronym for Ed, Bob and Brian. We all used to live in Newton, IA and played with lot's of hot rods.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a great story on reality and a very cool Hotrod...thanks for sharing that @J.Ukrop

loudbang and J.Ukrop like this.
  11. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Remembered seeing that car at Indy. I was always impressed with the no nonsense, clean construction of that coupe.

loudbang likes this.
  12. catdad49

catdad49

Wow, wouldn't that be Fun to recreate! Great body style, throw ' em a curve with a Big six and kick some butt. Quain (SEGA) has a class for cars like this and there are some built or being built to run this season. So, now you have No excuse. Keep diggin', Joey. Thanks,Carp.

13. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We just reconstructed a 32 Bantam altered that I first built in the mid 60s. The car runs a 261 inline 6 with a McGurk roller cam, Fenton headers and a triple Offy intake. We are experimenting with different carb set ups like 97s, Carters and Rochesters. We are also in the midst of doing a new head which we hope will flow better. Still looking for a set of Barker high ratio rockers. If accepted, we will be at Byron in July.

Warren

14. catdad49

catdad49

Wuga, That sounds interesting, could you post some pics? Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks guys. Also, here's a color photo of it that I shamelessly ripped off eBay. Too bad the auction ended a long time ago, or else I would have bought it for sure! Note the super cool tow rig. Screen shot 2018-01-11 at 8.43.57 PM.png

Old-Soul, loudbang, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  16. Never2low

Never2low

I wonder if that's the one my dad has told me about.
    My dad raced all around Michigan, down to Indiana, Illinois and Ohio, and even over into Ontario, in the early 60's.
    He's referred to an early coupe, with a straight six, running G/gas, that sounded like someone shook up a jar full of pissed off bumble bee's!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Graham08, loudbang, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  18. Parker Bohn (The Grandfather of bowler Parker Bohn the third) was a hardcore six follower as well
    302 GMC bored out to 323 cubic inches with a Wayne head. Won races well into the 60's
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DSC04427.JPG

I think this is posted elsewhere here but always worth a second look.
    By the way, does anybody have a Wayne 12 port hidden in their basement that they would like to get rid of?

Warren

20. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

View attachment 3774315

loudbang likes this.
  21. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

Here is a picture of the engine bay on my '50 Bob mentioned. I don't have any pics of the one on the engine stand. It is built the same, pistons, cam, balanced, single 4bbl, fenton headers. It will be installed in a '51 Belair. Thanks for the shout out Bob. DSCN1033.JPG

loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  22. There's something about long hoods and short cabs that just sets right with me.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Have a friend that lives in Washington with a 32' Chevy coupe all steel. has a built 250, dual 4V's on it. Car runs mid 13's and street legal.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Built this in 1999 to prove to a lot of people it could. Won bowling hotrod reunion in 05 and did a runner up in 06. All built in-house. Car and engine. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

juan motime, loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  25. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a guy, Willy Richter, who went to Edison High in the very early '60s. I don't remember what powered it, but he drove a Canary yellow '33 (I believe) Plymouth coupe to school. If I'm not further mistaken, he also rode a Triumph Tiger Cub. He was as cool as anyone at Edison. I wonder where he is today ?

loudbang likes this.
  26. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  27. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Maybe this is a good place to post this picture Joey. Thanks to Pat Ganahal for the Restore! Too Tall had her just gleaming in the CHRR Bakersfield sun shine 2016. Your Rodders Journal feature in Bare Metal and than completed was an informative eyefull. DSCN3913.JPG

28. The Pork'n'Beaners were or are the mainstay of racing. They seldom get many accolades except from people who know them and they are always present.

Little known was a man from Santa Rosa who ran a flathead powered Willys out of his service station. I probably could not find pic of his car and for the life of me I cannot tell you his name. No fame other then the fact that he was still running a flathead in the '60s and winning. He was known as "A leaver", he probably had the best hole shot in the Bay Area, he would be crossing the 60 ft line when most guys were just getting out of the gate.

every track in the US had at least one of those guys.

Good read Mr Ukrop

olscrounger and J.Ukrop like this.
  29. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Porknbeaner, the guy you mentioned was Ed Binggeli. He was a local legend, known as the flathead king. Ed died in January, 2014 at age 91, but he was an active hot rodder right up to the time he died. He's still much missed around here. I'm not good with the tech stuff, so unable to include it here, but there's a great article in the March 1962 issue of hot rod magazine on Ed and his Willys coupe, or you can do an internet search for Ed Binggeli, and that'll turn up some interesting reading.

30. Thanks
    I remember the car was fenderless and he was one that we would walk to the staging lanes to watch. Funny the things you remember isn't it. ;)

Here's the station
    [​IMG]
    Here's the car seems like I remember it running fenderless but we are talking 55+ years. LOL

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Old-Soul likes this.