Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How not to build a hotrod - My '33 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Sparkle, Jan 6, 2018.

1. 31chevymike

31chevymike

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Nice work!

31chevymike likes this.
  3. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I’ve been following Johnny on Insta and it’s fun to watch his progress and what he’s working on. But I never knew of his humor until this thread! Thanks Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

So, I'm being lazy. Winter blahs, a monumentally stupid project that sucks my soul out through my nose, whatever; I'm just not motivated or getting anything done lately. I should probably drink and watch Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Carl knows.

I did trade that Model A that was lurking in the background for a 13" South Bend on Tuesday though. I'm pretty excited about that. Not excited enough to actually wire it up for 220V quite yet, though. I'm working my way through eating grilled cheese on the couch while I surf the internet at the moment. It's much too nice outside today to go out there and work on things anyway. It's better to wait until it's a frozen hellscape again and then crawl on my belly on cold concrete and figure out how to convert that thing without shooting sparks. I choose my own adventure.

20180109_124632.jpg

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Sombody post a link to Carl Sagan`s Cosmos.

6. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Dude, if you’re gonna race that thing at Bonneville, you’re gonna need a tow vehicle. 9485973C-2BF9-4E3B-8944-4C6D07DCFE57.jpeg

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Shit, go and collect all the lead in that thing. No more need for plastic filler!

8. chopped f1

chopped f1
    from Australia

cool thread im watching
    heres a link to the intro to karl sagans cosmos

9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, JS;
    IF cold misery is what you desire, come-on-down (over) to Mn. You'll easily frost your unmentionables. In record time. Man, could you achieve then... :D .
    Marcus...

BTW: funny thread, & good outlook on life & its' "rewards for effort". May as well own it, as then no-one can blackmail you... :D .

10. exterminator

exterminator

Lol,old style air conditioning.

11. JS...I gotta say, what impresses me most is that you had sufficient wall space in your shop to park an unplanned Southbend lathe...with wall space to spare!! I think for most of us car, part, and tool hoarders that would require an intervention and complete re-org of shop space. You're my new hero.

BTW...have you tried grill cheese and BACON....just sharing man.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  12. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Grilled cheese and bacon is freaking amazing. It's also super healthy.

Don't worry, the shop is a bit of a disaster, I gotta figure out where to put my Toolbox, drill press, welders, etc..

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Are we talking Canadian or USA Bacon? Do they know?

Bob

14. as long as it isn't english bacon.:eek:

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

How about Danish bacon? Seems to be canned in sea water for a nice winter road flavour!

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I don't trust a guy that wears a tie to the beach

Aswright likes this.
  17. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I don't trust a man that wears a scarf indoors.

18. gonzo

gonzo

Thanks for this thread. It reminds me of my own build which would be finished if not for a special cocktail of missteps, changed directions, lost then suddenly renewed interests and of course a steady diet of doing nothing.

19. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Damn Johnny - 13,000 views already and it's only been a week... You have some followers!

20. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

This thread is strong medicine

21. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't you formerly have a pr man? He could have done all this writing and photo taking for you. More time for Cosmos and grilled cheese.

Seriously, great to see you posting again and providing such good content.

vic

22. DaveH_RRTX

DaveH_RRTX

Great thread! You're skilled but A.D.D for sure.

23. This thread speaks right to my heart.
    I'm having one of those mental moments when I'm hating everything except my wife. Maybe it's just the weather, maybe it's cabin fever and frustration.

I started my Vicky 10 years ago.
    I don't have loads of time in it, it's my keeper and dream car but staring at it is just pissing me right the fuck off now. It's an extensive project so I figured I'd slip in a quicky and get my but on the road with something quicker to do.

image.jpeg

So then I grabbed this one. It just needed a chassis, engine and Trans. It was finish painted and everything. Maybe, just if I wanted or had time and funds, just door glass and interior.
    It's completion date and maiden voyage is set for April of 2014. And here it sits.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

And Like the episodes and adventures and detours in your thread, so are they here.

Attached Files:

Baumi, brEad, Okie Pete and 9 others like this.
  24. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Nice Southbend, hopefully that won't turn into another project (mine did).
    English bacon is the only bacon

25. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

We make great decisions. I figure I'm not on a deadline and I'm not doing it for a living, it'll get done whenever it gets done. Everything always takes 10 times longer than it should. Go drink and watch Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Work on that stuff next week.

I'm not even sure what English bacon is. I imagine it's probably gray though.

26. I can relate....here's my 10 year project. Before I ripped it all apart for finish welding and chassis paint, I discovered the front of the engine was 3/4 inch closer to the right frame rail that the back of the engine...Oops! One more fuck-up to fix. 34chassis1_18.jpg

27. trey32

trey32

Seems like we're all fuck ups at heart...
    Nothing I have works...

XXL__, 6inarow, Clay Belt and 2 others like this.
  28. impala4speed

impala4speed

And here I was thinking it was just me.
    Great thread Johnny. Like the others, I am greatly enjoying it.

29. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

It sounds cheesy, but I remember the posts of you piecing your coupe together and thinking, "I guess I can do that." So you're partially to blame for all of this. Haha.

What's it really worth if you didn't suffer a bit? If it's too easy, any douche could do it, right? There's value in the process, even if you're the only one who can see it.

30. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I'm still really curious about English bacon though. That may be the most important thing I learn through this thread.