Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods anyone had any dealings with overseas buyers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hombreverde, Jan 11, 2018.

1. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

2. verde742

verde742

Sold three vehicles, England, Scotland, and Australia, Bank to Bank transfer,

After money was put in my account, buyers told me which warehouse in Portland, Or. to take car to: where to hide the key, weird-ess feeling in the world to leave yer "baby" in a warehouse, with not one person around, and to walk away.. made me kinda sick each time.......

3. As a transporter, I have been asked to transport vehicles to the port to ship overseas dozens of times for customers in 10 different countries. Almost all of them paid with a bank to bank wire transfer without issue. One gentleman from New Zealand was here visiting when he purchased his vehicle, so I go to meet him when I arrived to haul the vehicle. It has been stated earlier; the buyer takes all the risk in this kind of deal

God Bless
    Bill Squires(owner)
    Bill's Auto Works
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

When we say "CASH" we are refering to a legit payment. "Cash in our pockets" before anything is shipped. What misunderstanding are you talking about? I could care less about if a broker is legit or not. I will never use a broker. If the buyer has a broker then I would not deal with the broker. It is either the buyer/seller and myself or no conversation at all. I don't deal with third party advocates/thieves. As stated, cash in the pocket or no deal. If the overseas buyer doesn't like the transaction, then don't buy. Both sides are taking the chance on the deal.

What is not to understand about the risk on the seller's end? A scam is a scam and can be done from both ends of the transaction and the buyer is usually the scammer. They will make the initial contact. They will make an offer and if accepted, they will send a bogus payment or try to have the seller cash out for "change due on an overpayment". Now, granted, only an idiot would accept this, but there are idiots.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Exactly. Agents can be the scourge of the earth. I think most agents are Princes from Nigeria.

49ratfink likes this.
  6. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

well, some people prefer cash because a large deposit, especially a wire transfer, raises red flags at the bank and gets federal attention. depending on what the subject line says it can trigger a tax document. its not that you are doing anything wrong, but the bank can tie up the payment until everything is explained.

I like cashiers checks as well as cash. I usually take a deposit by paypal, easy to reverse if it doesnt pass the sniff test.

7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yessir, that is the way I do it. If the buyer gets cold feet, then no harm no foul. If the buyer want to do it according to my demands then the deal gets done. If not, then there is always another buyer.

I'm not mad at anyone nor am I trying to booger anyone. If they are having bad feelings then they can buy elsewhere.

8. Sold 3 cars overseas,Sweden,England & Tokyo and never had any problems. HRP

9. dan31

dan31

Remember any deposit into a bank account over 9k is reported . The IRS doesn't care how you send your money it cares how you get your money.